Saturday, 21 June 2008

make do and mend – and the greatness of cobblers

Earlier this year, I fell in love with a pair of Chloe boots. You know the ones: brown, high chunkyish heel, three buckled straps to do them up. The ones the lovely Cherry Blossom Girl has. They would go with so many of my outfits, and I would get a lot of wear from them... and they're beautiful!

photo: The Cherry Blossom Girl

But, sadly, it is not to be. I have stuck to the plan (no new clothing till August) and resisted. Of course, the fact that I cannot find them online now helps! However, I was lucky enough to find these at a flea market a couple of months ago:



Now, they are obviously not the same, and have quite a different feel to the Chloe boots, but how I love them! I wore them twice, and they were comfortable, and will also go well with many outfits.

There was a little downside – the heels both came loose. I (eventually) took them to a cobblers to be fixed (since buying vintage and thrifted shoes, a cobbler has become essential) and now they are good to go. I have a rather romantic idea about cobblers; I imagine a suited man, his shirt sleeves rolled up and his apron on, working over some beautifully kept wooden apparatus at his trade, hundreds of shoe lasts neatly piled high on the wall behind him. This might not completely match the reality, but I feel it is close, sort of, at the one I go to. Almost. They haven't lost my shoes yet (touch wood!) anyway so this is good enough for now!

photo: section from a the sartorialist image

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...