Monday, 21 July 2008

candy

Today I altered a skirt. I bough this vintage skirt a couple of months ago at an op shop. The dusty pink colour appealed to me, as did the soft, felt-like fabric. What I really love, though, are the little buttons. They have tiny little sailor anchor details!



This is my one ahoy there to the sailor trend. As much as I love sailor dresses, I don't want to buy a new one – tempted as I am – and finding a vintage one seems unlikely.

The skirt was a funny length; a little longer than mid-calf, and, even though it had a somewhat daring split up the thigh, it still felt a little frumpy to me. I was never quite in the mood to wear it... and so I decided I needed change the length. It now sits above my knee. It was the kind of alteration I like – no stitching! The fabric won't fray, and the weight of it allows for a raw edge, as it is very clean.

I must have these soft pastel shades on my mind, as today I am wearing pale aqua socks with a white dress and grey heels.



When I woke up this morning, the rain was coming down sideways. It seemed very settled. Platforms were perfect for stepping through puddles. Now the sun has come out and the sky has cleared up. Who knows how long this little bit of sun will last?

I have also washed my nanna cardigan, and it should be dry by the end of the week – no, really, it takes that long in here. I can't wait to wear it!

14 comments:

Lady Melbourne said...

I can't wait to see that cardigan in action. These photos are so romantic, you have a lovely way of composing your shots.
I luckily just avoided the rain today, but I think my footware would have been useless if it had caught me!
Yours with your socks on the other hand is practical and adorable.
LM
x

Skye said...

Ooh pretty - those soft colours are just scrumptious (no sew alterations are the BEST arent' they?)

Lady Smaggle said...

Oh I love the soft slouchy socks. How snuggly!

Nay'Chelle said...

Love the skirt and shoes. I really like the soft green of the knee highs.

esme and the lane way said...

lady melbourne: thank you :) Well done on avoiding the rain, it was so heavy.

skye: thanks – and yes, my favourite way to 'sew'!

lady smaggle: thanks. I love having warm feet and knees!

nay'chelle: thank you :)

Lauren said...

Sailor dresses are sooooooooooo hard to find! I found a good pattern off the internetz for a sailor collar but, so I'm going to try to attach it to another dress. At some point.

I love those delicious minty socks and you've reignited my passion for finding some grey shoes.

the freelancer's fashionblog said...

Everything with anchors on it is always great.

And delicious is indeed the word for those mitny socks. I like it a lot together with the shoes!

esme and the lane way said...

Lauren: thanks! Can't wait to see the sailor collar, it sounds great.

ffb: thank you!

Meggy_FFW said...

I love your blog! The photos are beautiful and the writing is as well. Also, I think we might share a lot of the same aesthetic tastes... I'll definitely be bookmarking you! (& I love those minty socks.)

esme and the lane way said...

meggy_ffw: thanks very much :) I am off to visit your blog now.

A dreamer said...

where'd you get your aqua socks? so cute!

esme and the lane way said...

a dreamer: thanks! I thrifted them new from Savers a few months ago...

Brandy C. Williams Paperie Blog said...

tooooo cute!

esme and the lane way said...

Brandy C. Williams Paperie Blog:, aw, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...