Wednesday, 16 July 2008

my local second hand book shop

After almost five years, I still love living in Melbourne. As I mentioned recently, one of the things I like most about Melbs is that there are many little independent shops, from clothing boutiques to cheeseries (coined!) to this little gem, a second hand book shop.



Nestled in an old Victorian house on Scotchmer Street, this store sells many pre-loved tomes, including a large number of vintage children's books. The house has retained its' maize-like floor plan, and there is room after room of books. Around each corner is another little nook filled from floor to ceiling with shelves of my paper friends. My favourite bit is the tiny room tucked away under the stairs, filled with beautiful illustrated children's books – a comfortable little hide-away complete with Beatrix Potter prints and a little seat.












I popped in today and, having finally found the courage to ask permission to take pictures (which turned out to be very easy, as the owner is very friendly and even took a picture of me when I asked) I snapped away. I am also now the owner of a cute little paper back of Puss in Boots. Having read Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 last week, I need some textual fluff in my life. Purrfect! Ahem.

14 comments:

Skye said...

That looks like a fabulous little treasure nest - shops with piles of stuff everywhere are wonderful, you get the sense that you might find just about anything in amongst it all. I'm looking for old copies of The Owl & the Pussycat, I wonder if they have any?

Lady Melbourne said...

What a great post, this is definitely representative of what Melbourne is like. I have my favourite little kooky bookshop too.
I could spend hours in there, looks like you have fun.
LM
x

a cat of impossible colour said...

Wow! Looks like a treasure trove. Next time I come to Melbourne you'll have to let me know where it is :)

esme and the lane way said...

Skye: They do – or they did, I saw one in the window in the last couple of weeks! I can ask them if you like?

lady melbourne: thanks! It was nice to do something other than outfits, as showing Melbourne is exactly what I want to do! I'm glad you think I captured it.

A cat of impossible colour: it is. And of course I will! There are lots of cafes on the street too, so a coffee + books is a easy joy...

L. said...

I read Slaughterhouse 5 recently too and while it was interesting, it was really heavy... I've been going through old copies of Shop Til You Drop for my fluff.

Embarassing and full of clothes I can't afford.

esme and the lane way said...

I: I did like it, but so intense. Not a mood enhancer, that's for sure! At the hair dressers I got to read the shopping mag too, and loved it! Though same here; too expensive and not something I'm proud of! :)

Lady Grey said...

that bookshop looks so sweet.perth will hopefully have these one day soon!

Fashion Hayley said...

I know that book shop (at least I think I do), its near my old primary school in Carlton and I would beg my mum to take me there after school every day. I was such a book worm then, and I still am. Great post :>

Sam said...

that little bookshop looks just perfect! I wish I had a bookshop like that where I live.

the freelancer's fashionblog said...

That bookshop looks nice! I should read more - I buy a lot of books but then I never read them...

I book-tagged you i nmy blog btw, quite suitably ince I dod not see this post before I did :)

esme and the lane way said...

Lady Grey: it really is, I am lucky to have one near by. I hope you do get one soon, too!

Fashion Hayley: thanks! This one is Nth Fitzroy, but I think I know the one in Carlton too... I think I read even more as a child than now, I loved it!

Sam: I do feel lucky :)

the freelancer's fashionblog: me too! I got all this War poetry that is just too sad for me to read :< but I do love books. And yay, my first tag! I'm going to do it now!

Misha said...

I wish I has independent and inspiring shops everywhere around me as well. You're lucky to have such a neatly designed second hand bookshop. I heart my local one too, but it's nothing compared to yours...

esme and the lane way said...

misha: I do feel lucky. But I am also just happy that they exist at all, and that I can avoid the big chains, with their messy displays and rude prices, as much as possible!

Tea said...

I walked down that street everyday up untill about 2 years ago, can not believe I never noticed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...