Wednesday, 2 July 2008

silk skirts... in winter

I have been looking for a silky, yellow skirt for a little while now, even though it is completely inappropriate weather wise. For some reason my seasons are still (still!) up-side-down, and I want summery things in winter.



Anyway, the shape I was after was something like the drawing on the left, with a kind of pocket shape I like. After looking in vintage and op-shops, and even keeping an eye out on-line, I stumbled across this in Savers.



Pure silk and the perfect shade of yellow, this blouse is going to be made into a skirt. The collar fits well around my waist, so all I have to do is sew up the sides and re-hem it – even this will be taking my sewing skills to the limit! However, I am going to try keeping the sleeves, removing the cuffs and then tying them in a bow at the back of the skirt, creating (well, hopefully) a subtle, Edwardian-style bustle shape. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

a cat of impossible colour said...

What a great idea! I love your ideas for the skirt. I've been looking for one very similar, but no luck so far.

Weather-appropriate-ness is completely overrated :)

esme and the lane way said...

I agree! I hope this works out, I am going to start tomorrow.

Sally Jane said...

Great idea! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

the freelancer's fashionblog said...

I'd love to see how it turns out! Have you seen this btw:

http://nosignposts.blogspot.com/2008/05/all-kings-horses.html

esme and the lane way said...

Sally Jane: Thanks! I'm going to get it started today, I hope it goes ok..!

The freelancer's fashionblog: yeah, it looks great! I also saw someone do this on the sartorialist/facehunter (can't remember!) with a mans shirt.

L. said...

I've done something similar before, it's not too hard if I remember right. As long as the neck does fit where you want it to sit. The bustle idea sounds great.

esme and the lane way said...

l: I hope so, but I am seriously not the most skilled seamstress by a very long way!

Raggamuffin said...

love the idea!!
good luck with it, cant wait!!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...