Sunday, 13 July 2008

thrifted, vintage, and new...

Last week was pretty good for finding a few new additions to my wardrobe...

... a thrifted silk scarf...

... and a vintage pleated AND stripey skirt.

This is the vintage skirt I have had my eye on for months now. After Wednesdays' dramas, it was still there! It took two goes (don't ask) but I eventually managed to get over my indecision and actually buy it. And how happy I am now for doing so! Lately I have had a thing for stripes – well, for a good while, actually – and, more recently, a liking of pleats, too. This takes care of both of those. It can also be worn as a skirt or a dress. What's not to love? I am going to take it up a few inches, though. Even though it is pleated, I think I can manage this...

I also finally got a pair of dark, flared jeans:


And... they are new. As in not thrifted. Not vintage. Brand new from the shop.
Oh.
I did so well – these have been the only new thing (other than smalls) I have purchased this year. They will be a well worn, long lasting addition to my wardrobe, so why miss out? I could have waited until 15th August, but I needed an unusual size, and unusual sizes either hang about in the store for months and end up with nice big reductions in the sales, OR sell out quickly never to be found again. The latter option is the more likely, and I didn't want to risk it. I need to get them taken up a little (professionally, thanks, I'm not ruining them now!) and I can't wait to wear them. I have so many ideas already...

Finally, here is a glimpse of my outfit today – I am yet to find a way of taking indoor shots I am at least semi-happy with, but this gives a little idea of it:


the vintage stripy-pleaty skirt, merino jumper, red rib tights.

My new thrifted scarf is now around my neck, and brown boots will soon be on my feet. I am off to get some fresh bread from our amazing local bakers, to cook up a late sunday brunch. Yum yum yum. Enjoy the rest of your weekend...

4 comments:

L. said...

I can never buy things either. I'll think and think and think and think... and then never get anything. My boyfriend gets super mad at me :).

I love the dark jeans too. Lately whenever I see dark jeans I have to try them on because a) so many jeans have horrible fading/whiskering on them and b) jeans never really ever fit me.

Lady Melbourne said...

I can't see all the pictures in this post for some reason?
I can see those red tights though!

yiqin; said...

Wow, the pleated striped skirt is amazing!!!

esme and the lane way said...

I: I don't like that whiskering either. And a good fit is soo hard to find... And yep, my finace cracks it at me too! In a sweet, encouraging way...! :)

lady melbourne: hmm, not sure why, are they working now? Ha yes, the red tights stick out even in dodgy myspace-style blurry pics!

yiqin: thanks! Now I have finally got it, I am very happy with it. Good decision!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...