Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Where I live...

This is where I live:



Rows and rows of Victorian workers cottages, from single-story and single-fronted, to larger double-fronted and two-story homes. Ornate iron lacework, chimneys, coragated iron roofs, 150 year-old fencing and cobble stoned lane ways. Inner Melbourne is beautiful. I remember first seeing it, at night time, almost 5 years ago. I couldn't believe that these amazing little fairy-tale homes existed at all, never mind entire suburbs of them! I knew straight away I would like to live here.

And now I do. I have done for 4 years. However, I don't live in one of these beautiful little houses. No. I live in the tiniest flat in a modern-ish block, and while it is full of things I love, such as my antique singer sewing machine and my dark-timber, ornately carved fireplace (currently propped up against a wall) – both finds from the lane way – the flat itself is cluttered, endlessly messy, and frankly not my cup of tea. There is no room for me to take indoor shots of me standing up, so, on rainy days, please bear with my attempts at photos! I might just have to think a little laterally...

Wooden floor boards, rickety old stair cases, peeling wall paper, cracked paint, decades-old bathrooms and kitchens... these are all things I'd love to live with. Rising damp, mice, draughts? In one of these old gems, the romantic in me would allow me to turn a blind eye without a second thought. It's not all bad, though! I love living here, and still enjoy the pleasures of this part of town: taking my pick of great cafes to get my coffee, riding my bike to anywhere I need to, patting the local cats (especially good for me before I got my own!) and being able to enjoy the ambiance and history of my surroundings.

4 comments:

L. said...

It looks so gorgeous. I've been to Melbourne a few times and it always seemed so lovely. So much nicer than Sydney ;)

I've always had a thing for old houses too. Either little ones with chimneys or huge Queenslanders with awesome verandas.

a cat of impossible colour said...

Melbourne is beautiful! It is one of my favourite cities in the world. The first time I went there it reminded me of Christchurch (where I live), except bigger and more exciting. Which makes it pretty much perfect, because I love Christchurch and my only complaint it that it's a bit small and quiet!

I live in an area with a lot of old Victorian cottages, too. I love taking a walk around the neighbourhood and looking at all the old villas. One of my dreams is to buy a dilapidated old house and do it up (like you, I'm a romantic!).

Wow, long comment, sorry. I really enjoyed this post :) You've inspired me to write a similar one!

esme and the lane way said...

l: I've only been to Sydney for a couple of days back in November 07, and it was beautiful! Maybe a little too hilly (and fast!) for me to ride my bike though!

a cat of impossible colour: Melbourne has some good things, which I hope don't change too much. Buy one while you can (they've gone up about 45% in four years here – eek!) No probs with long comment, I'm looking forward to seeing your Christchurch now :)

deszell said...

Oh your pic reminds me alot of my red brick flat down in Malvern Rd. I miss that place! My neighbourhood used to be like this too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...