Tuesday, 8 July 2008

The yellow silk skirt, part two

Well, good grief, who knew taking these pics would be so hard?* I have started to make the yellow skirt out of the blouse... and this is as far as I have got:



It has put my skills to the test already. So far I have made a rough hem, and, as you can see, it isn't exactly straight. I was using my neighbours' sewing machine, which I've had on loan from her for months, but last night she needed to take it back as she has a project of her own to do... so now I will be sewing by hand. As tedious and slow as this may be, it might in fact be something of a blessing, as I found the sewing machine gave me a puckered hem, no matter how hard I tried to keep the material taught. So, now I am going to pin and iron the hem into place, tack it, and only then actually stitch it together. Yawn! Oh, if I only I was a natural at this...

If anyone has any sewing tips, please let me know!

*My flat is not ideal for this, but more on that soon.

6 comments:

L. said...

My only tip is measure, measure, measure. It's the most boring part of sewing but things tend to go awry if you don't (I should know :)

But it looks good so far!

a cat of impossible colour said...

It's going to look great when it's finished! I wish I could give you a useful sewing tip, but I am just a novice :(

Lady Melbourne said...

Lovely so far, reminds me to Grey Gardens and how Little Edie used to wear her skirts upside down.
Keep going with it and please show us the results!

esme and the lane way said...

l: ok, thanks for that, it is silly but I always want to do this without the measuring tape..?! Bad!

a cat of impossible colour: I hope so! Thanks for the encouragement.

lady melbourne: thank you – I am looking forward to seeing the new one of that. And I will – hopefully next time it will have improved!

Sally Jane said...

That type of fabric is always so hard to sew. If you're getting puckers you probably need to adjust the thread tension. Good luck!

esme and the lane way said...

Sally Jane: Thanks, that sounds very technical! Hopefully hand sewing will be a little easier...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...