Tuesday, 2 September 2008

spring...

Well, we are two days into Spring. I thought that I'd be doing a post welcoming the change of season, reveling in new warmth and wearing lighter clothes, but it isn't at all Spring like outside; it is really cold, grey and rainy. So instead I want to share the new goodies I have bought, and will enjoy wearing in the months ahead.


I found this bag at the end of last week, and it had it's first outing today. It is a little larger than it looks here, and can fit all my daily essentials inside, without making me feel like I'm dragging a rucksack around. I really like the sage colour, too.

On Saturday, I finally got to go on my first ever trip to a DFO. I'm not sure if I've missed something, but I thought DFOs were Direct Factory Outlets? I went to the one on Spencer St, and it was basically retail shops, selling their current things at the standard retail price... where were the outlets?! I was disappointed, but didn't leave totally empty handed – I found this sweet silk bow blouse on sale at Forever New.



On the way home, I was still in the mood for some shopping, and, as I'm really looking for a silk floral tea dress, thought I'd pop in to the Alannah Hill clearance shop on Brunswick Street. I had a good look through the sample rack, and found lots of things to try on. Unfortunately, they all made me look ridiculous – the sample size is quite large, and the cut did me no favours. Some literally made me laugh out loud. I did, however, find one dress that I loved AND fitted well... it might not be one of the light, summery dresses I had in mind, but it will be good on the cooler days of early Spring, and I will get to wear it next Autumn and Winter, too.

it looks as though there is a peep hole that would reveal my belly button, but that is not the case! Once on, the peep hole is right where it should be, though I will be wearing things underneath.

Finally, I found some new bits to add to my beloved tights and socks collection. These vintage crochet tights were unworn, still in their original packaging, and good as new. I was chuffed to find these, as I couldn't find any crochet or thick lacy tights in Melbs the day before.



I also found these over-the-knee socks at Forever New, and today I got these tights – unworn, still in their packaging – from a Salvos near home. (I can happily thrift most things, even getting over my earlier aversion to thrifted shoes, but could not face wearing pre-loved tights.)



It is absolutely bucketing down now, but it is meant to be fine weather for the next few days, so I hope I can actually wear some of these. I am slowly starting to feel more inspired for Spring...

23 comments:

Lilac Stevens said...

That bag is wonderful! I love purses like that (I have a tiny collection) but they're all too small to really get much use because they wont fit my two essentials - wallet and water! So they're destined to just hang prettily around my room. I'd love to find a decent-sized purse.

That blouse from Forever New is especially pretty too

esme and the lane way said...

Thanks! Your room must look really pretty.:) This one is really quite big for the style, maybe 8 inches high, so it really is practical.

Skye said...

That silk blouse is very pretty and spring-y, hopefully you'll get to wear it soon.

Miss Karen said...

Yes DFO can be a total let down - and you're right, there's really not many outlet stores in there at all.

I love your new goodies though! And the bag looks great! :D

Mila said...

Oh, i love all of the things you bought...
The bag is amazing!
it reminds me of buying some new socks...in gorgeous colours and higher ones for the coming fall.. ;)

Bye for now, enjoy your first Spring days!

Mila.

K.Line said...

Great bag - and the dress is super too!

Snowshoe said...

lately socks and stockings seem to be the most exciting thing i buy. on my list are lace tights, floral tights, chunky knit socks (like your awesome gray ones), and some nice ankle socks to wear with heels... I could go on and on! I especially like the looks of those creamy knit ones...

The Waves said...

Oh I soooo love that bag... Great discoveries on the sock/stockings front, too! I find that getting a new pair of stockings is the easiest way of updating one's look.

Louise said...

What lovely finds! The bag looks gorgeous, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the dress looks like on you!

Theresa said...

thewhite sheer top with a bow is so lovely, youv'e got lots of great pieces

esme and the lane way said...

Skye: thanks! It looks pretty sunny this morning, maybe today will be right?!

Miss Karen: maybe the other DFOs are better..? And thank you! I'm chuffed I bought the bag.

Mila: thanks! Oh, all those things sound great!

K.Line: thank you!

Snowshoe: thanks! I love ankle socks with heels, too. :)

The Waves: thanks very much! I agree, socks and tights are fun.

Louise: thanks! And I promise the dress does not have alarming tummy revelations. :)

esme and the lane way said...

Theresa: (we commented at the same time :) ) thanks very much! I like my little horde, but I want more! :D

The Paper Doll said...

Love the vintage crochet tights and that sweet little blouse with the bow .

Alicia said...

What a gorgeous bag!
The Spencer St DFO really is mostly retail stores, I frequent the Moorabin one as that's the one I'm closest to. It has less stores in general and about 60% of them are real outlets. Most of the others mix retail and sale items in the same store.
I have just found your blog and it's lovely, I've added it to my blogroll at seaofghosts.com!

xx

Nita-Karoliina said...

that bag and bow top are soo so cute!

esme and the lane way said...

The Paper Doll: thanks! I am looking forward to wearing them. :)

Alicia: thanks very much, I'm glad you like it!

Nita-Karoliina: thank you!

Grant said...

The bag is lovely, and what a find with those tights! I'm jealous of girls because Alannah Hill makes such beautiful things, but not boys clothes :(

Xx

Miss_Corrine said...

What lovely purchases! :) I am particularly taken with the bow blouse, how sweet!

Penny said...

ooh the blouse with the bow on is to die for!

The Clothes Horse said...

The blouse and dress are so lovely and delicate looking. Outlet shops here tend to be the same way--only it is last season, but no real price reduction...

esme and the lane way said...

Grant: thanks! It does seem quite hard to find good mens' stuff sometimes...

Miss_Corrine: thank you!

Penny: thanks! I am looking forward to wearing it. :)

The Clothes Horse: thanks! Oof, how annoying. I wouldn't mind, if it wasn't called an outlet..! :)

kirstie said...

oooh, i love the blouse! awesome stocking finds too. i found an interesting pair of tie dyed stockings in a charity shop the other day but i could not bring myself to buy them because they had been used. sigh.

esme and the lane way said...

kirstie: thanks! OH, I know what you mean – sometimes cleaning things isn't enough!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...