Wednesday, 14 January 2009

white hot




They said it would be hot today, and it was; 38C! This is the first day we've had that is something like our usual summers. I have mentioned, um, once or twice (ha!) that I don't really like summer or the heat, but I should explain that it is only when it gets above, say, 38C that I find it a bit too warm.



My job – and the industry I work in – is relaxed about what is suitable work wear. The traditional ones – no exposed toes, no exposed shoulders – seem inappropriate in a hot climate. We all have our own ideas on what is acceptable, and while I may save shorter things for weekends, this dress is fine.


At first glance, this may sound rather obvious – but the dress is actually buttoned through, and the two sides do not quite meet in the middle, except for a well-placed second wrap. The space is small, and I like a less obvious way to show some skin. It is also a good way to feel some air, too.



I bought this dress three summers ago, and it has been worn regularly ever since. White dresses + brown platforms are something of a summer uniform for me; it's funny how some things don't change. Back in May 2002, London was having an unusual, early heatwave, and I remember walking to work in a white dress and tan platforms, very much like what I am wearing today, listening to the Stone Roses on my headphones – which I did today, too. Back then I had long red hair which I wore in messy ringlets, and another difference was that I belted the dress with an eagle-buckled belt. I still have it. I wonder if I'll wear it again?


aha, I do have toes!



One last thing – back then, I was still a bit self conscious about the freckles on my arms. Now I quite like them.


dress – sass and bide, three years ago
bracelet – aprilmay
shoes – sportsgirl

music stone roses she bangs the drums

29 comments:

Parapluie said...

What a beautiful dress!

Q's Daydream said...

Gorgeous dress! It is funny how we stick to our favorite things over the years. I have my dresses that I wear year after year and never tire of. :o)

Nadine said...

Great dress you look like a goddess!

Sal said...

White is the only color for unbearably hot weather - and that dress looks deliciously airy and unconfining!

a cat of impossible colour said...

These photos make me feel like I'm in a hot climate - I think it's the light. You know when it's so hot that the light sort of flattens out and becomes hard? Doesn't happen so much in NZ, but in Zim it happened every day. All the shadows disappeared and you couldn't look directly at a white wall.

That dress is lovely!

Blogette said...

Love the white dress and tan shoes! Freckles are awesome, I've learned to love mine now.

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

Glad you finally got some nice weather.

Mila said...

Amazingly gorgeous!
Truly.

Miss the sun...

<3
Mila.

pretty (not) cool said...

I know ! It was like 41 C in SA!

Pretty Little Pictures said...

Ooh, red hair and messy ringlets! I'm intrigued!!

Amelia said...

The 4th picture is absolutely magical. What a fantastic dress.

Thumbelina said...

You look stunning dear... airy white dresses, I agree are perfect for summer. And you should definitely post pictures of you with your long red ringlets!! I always dreamt about having natural hair just like that, haha well we can dream. Do post the pictures, it would be so fun!

StrikeMatch said...

I love all your photos so much! It's fun reminiscing about the different ways that you've worn things. The belt looks great too... I'm sure you'll wear it again.

esme and the lane way said...

Parapluie: thanks!

Q's Daydream: thanks! I know, I like that it happens though!

Nadine: thanks oh haha thanks!

Sal: It is, it'ssooooo comfortable!

a cat of impossible colour: I know exactly what you mean. And these were taken at around 8pm – the light was still that hard! It requires good dark sunnies :)

Blogette: thanks! I agree, freckles rock!

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com: ah finally :) but it's gone again now

Mila: thanks very much!

pretty (not) cool: 41C!!! Now that is defininitely too hot for me, and would makes me complain and need lots of chocolate ice ceream :D

Pretty Little Pictures: my hair was really long, hip length, and I'd sleep in plaits – I liked it, it wasn't a polished thing at all! :D

Amelia: oh, thanks very much! And not a train track in sight... :D

Thumbelina: thanks! Unfortunately I don't have any photos form back then – I would never remember to take pics, which is one of the main reasons I started blogging. Just imagine frizzy curls down past my waist :)

StrikeMatch: thanks very much! You know, I thought for ages I never would, but I am still fond of it :)

muchlove said...

that dress looks so beautiful and dreamy.

Rhiannon said...

I think white must be your color!!! The dress is so pretty on you. Plus I love the story of you walking around in London, listening to the Stone Roses. ;)

Emily said...

Beautiful dress! I am with you completely on not enjoying summer when the temperature exceeds a certain high. My summer comfort zone exists between 70 - 80F (which would be about 21 - 26.6C) :)

I never tire of old photographs either.

Miss Karen said...

I love your dress here! And you've managed to capture the summer in such a romantic light - most people would be a sweaty mess but you look sensational!

WendyB said...

Perfect summer dress.

Porcelain Blonde said...

The light you have captured in these photos is exquisite and so complimentary to your white dress. Very fairy-in-the-garden magical :)

My very favourite thing to wear in summer is a white dress so I just love this look on you <3 xxx

brooke said...

pretty pictures, and such a beautiful dress! got to love those purchases that just keep on keeping on... very smart buy indeed!!Q

<3 brooke

sara said...

you look so beautiful and summery! i wish we were getting that kind of heat here, really. its so cold right now, i'd much rather hot.
and that dress looks so light and airy, its lovely!
xx

Bucca said...

great photo's!

Emerson Merrick said...

your freckles are adorable!

Patrizia simulacra said...

If someone said that knee hi's looked fabbo with a dress I would have chocked. Since reading your blog I have discovered that long socks with a frock look spectacular. I don't think 40+ yours truly would be able to pull this look off, but you certainly can and you look gorgeous.

Shannon (A beautiful Dream) said...

Gorgeous!

Although in my sleep deprivedness I had to look twice at the belt picture...

Maggie May said...

a simply beautiful whiteness

Rachael said...

Lovely frock...

esme and the lane way said...

thanks very much :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...