Saturday, 17 January 2009

yellow

There are some colours that I love, but, in clothing, don't necessarily suit me. Yellow is one of them. I've read a few articles lately that say yellow – or mimosa, as it is currently being called – is going to be the colour this year. I'm glad there is a definite name for this warm, amber-y shade, as until now I had been struggling to describe it, and settled on marigold. Anyway. I was actually inspired to try things in this colour by the stylish ladies over on Flickr's Wardrobe_Remix around this time last year. I started slowly at first; I already had a sheer silk mustard blouse which I hadn't worn very much, and I started wearing that more often. Easy. Then it was over-the-knee socks; then a scarf; and finally this blouse. I thrifted this '80s (I think) blouse ages ago, but then for various reasons never wore it. I didn't have a navy/white/grey skirt to wear it with, and I just wasn't sure if I could actually carry the colour off.

So, last week, when I suddenly owned three grey skirts (two thrifted, one topshop, it's a story for next time) I decided I really wanted to try it. I love yellow and grey together (maybe that's a graphic designer thing, too!) and so I wore it with my newly thrifted lantern skirt. I love this skirt – it's really high waisted, it has pockets, and it has a couple of pleats over each hip so it kicks out, making a nice shape. It also matches perfectly with that grey cardigan. I added a cream scarf to soften the colour by my face (it was the first time, after all), a matching cream belt and shoes, and navy tights. And do you know what? I really liked wearing it!


The blouse has tiny little navy and white seagulls, and I'd like to wear it with skirts in those colours, especially white. I'd also like to try it with a pale cardigan in the same style as the dark grey one – and I'm looking for that now, so hopefully I can soon.





cardigan – witchery (I'm sure you know that by now :) )
scarf, skirt, belt, blouse and tights – thrifted (tights thrifted new, as always)
shoes – target

music rolling stones stray cat blues

38 comments:

Saorise said...

So lovely! I love the birdie fabric :)

oniomania said...

i love yellow and i think it looks great on you. :)

Bambola said...

The yellow shirt & the print is adorable! You're lucky that the colour of the year looks so great on you! =)

Lydia said...

That print is INSANELY lovely. I really like that blouse!

Miss_Red said...

You certainly shouldn't shy away from yellow, it looks amazing on you! Love the shoes too

Bucca said...

I really like the colour combination, very cute outfit!

Nita-Karoliina said...

that yellow blouse and shoes are brilliant!!

Andrea said...

Love the outfit! Keep wearing yellow, it suits you just fine.

Parapluie said...

Lovely! I just love the pattern of the blouse :)

sushipie said...

you look beautiful in yellow. i am all about yellow, well pretty much ALL colors. ♥ Everyone should wear way more color. I have this yellow ruffly cardigan that I wear all the time, much like your grey one. It just brightens up anything I'm wearing and goes great with purple and navy too. I'm working on a new hat design and it's almost the exact color as your blouse. ;)

xoxo
http://www.sushipie.squarespace.com

detailsofthefabric said...

your photos are so so lovely! That outfit looks really great on you and even the color of your nails goes well with it! Those shoes remind me of a pair of Marni shoes I saw last time... very nice color.

I've tagged you btw! To reveal 6 things about yourself. Thanks! hope you don't mind X)

Nadine said...

The yellow is just perfect :).

muchlove said...

I'm so jealous of all your amazing thrifted finds!

StrikeMatch said...

You look really great in that blouse. I agree, yellow is tricky, you need the perfect combination of colours to feel comfortable wearing it.

K.Line said...

Beautiful outfit and I love grey and yellow together. One of the best colour combos out there, IMO.

WendyB said...

Beautiful! Love everything about this outfit.

Emily said...

Lovely blouse! I'm a sucker for most things that have a bird print :)
The yellow and grey go together beautifully!

AusAnna said...

it is a hard colour but amazing when its pulled off right :)

Vintage Verve said...

Oh how I wish I could wear that colour! Unfortunately it makes me look sallow and unwell.

You look lovely.

I like how you framed the photo with the two trees either side. Gorgeous!

Tahda said...

lovely blouse & bow

loou said...

i love yellow too, i've been looking for something in yellow, but i haven't found it yet. your outfit is so perfect, love every detail, and the blue nails are the most wonderful detail.
and as always your cute photos are so inspiring.
x

Misha said...

Funny, in my little world I always called it "mustard"-yellow... :P

Hippy Chic said...

great combo, I love both main colors: hunter green & mustard :))

Amelia said...

I love that blouse! The print is so cute. Yellow is a problematic color for me, but it looks lovely on you.

Sal said...

Yellows can look pretty horrendous on me, too, and I use the same trick: A little scarf action, and no one'e the wiser! Love that fantastic seagull print blouse.

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

I don't know, I think it looks pretty good.

Eve said...

So cute! I LOVE that shirt! I might just steal it! Muhahaha.

deep_in_vogue said...

this is PERFECT! you look absolutely whimsical.

HoneyBunny said...

cute! I love the bow!

Ambroisine said...

I love everything ! The yellow & grey mix is beautiful..The blouse is lovely with the white scarf !

Rachael said...

I love the print, and the whole look.

esme and the lane way said...

Thanks very much for the nice comments :)

Ms Unreliable said...

Go Team Mimosa! Yellow doesn't look great on me either but you can definitely pull it off, gorgeous outfit!

xx Kit

P.S. Mimosa is the colour of 2009 as decided by Pantone, hence all the discussion and love of all things yellow (even more than usual!)

Tina said...

love this outfit! it's so gorgeous!

bidey said...

I LOVE that bow. Im gonna steal your idea :) hhaha if you dont mind

Love your blog

Clare
http://thegirlwithbrowneyes.blogspot.com/

I'm Philippa O said...

that shirt is amazing!

the gleam of rose tea said...

i love this scarf!

disa said...

情趣用品,情趣,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看,A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...