Saturday, 6 June 2009

6th June – D Day


Today is the 65th anniversary of D Day. After a thought of thanks to those, including, like many people of my generation, both of my grandfathers, who made what we enjoy today possible, we plan to celebrate extra hard this evening. There is a Blitz Party in London that looks like heaps of fun, and I hope to go one year. But it is good that I won't be going tonight, as I would be dressed all wrong :) I am wearing a '70s dress I thrifted a few weeks ago that has quickly become a favourite.


D can perhaps, in this case, also stand for dots, a pattern I associate more with the '50s than the '40s. We have a big dinner party tonight, and I need a comfy dress to allow for plenty of cheese, roast lamb and red wine. This swirly, soft dress is perfect. I have, however, rolled my hair (and have been all week). This pic was taken after a day of running errands, so yay for the rolls that stayed in place (no product! just pins!) but boo to the flyaways... still, practice makes perfect.



D can be for dresses, too... one of the things I did today was hand wash three vintage goodies that have arrived recently, including two forties dresses – much more appropriate for today.



I have had a bit of a moment with one of them, though – its crepe-y, rayon-y fabric shrank before my eyes to child-size proportions as soon as it got wet, and became very stretchy, a bit like leggings. As the dress itself is pretty robust, I decided to try and stretch it back to my size by putting it on while it was still wet. This was just about as comfortable as it sounds, but definitely helped. Lesson learned: not absolutely everything will like being hand washed. If any of you knowledgeable ladies have any tips for me and my poor tiny dress, please share them with me! xxx

wool cardigan – witchery
1970s dress and maroon ribbed tights – thrifted (tights unworn and still in their packet, of course)
my beloved peep toes with ankle strap – zu
maroon velvet bow tie worn in hair which I have helpfully not photographed but is the thing you can see sticking out under my ear in the top pic ;) – vintage

music the smiths these things take time (more time travel!)

37 comments:

Nicky said...

wow that picture is truly inspiring!
lots of love,
nicky x x

Fannah said...

I love the dress(es)! Love to see you wearing the other ones soon enough too :)

miliusia said...

oh.. new haircut? you look briliant :)

GracieFrances; said...

that is suchh a cute picture.
i love it so much, its so gahh <3

x

Kelley Anne said...

Oh I love this! The dress looks elegant and comfortable (otherwise known as the best combination), your hair is beautiful and the maroon tights look fantastic paired with it. I love finding dresses with interesting buttons...It always makes me love the whole thing a little bit more.

Parapluie said...

you look AMAZING! Love the tights, the dress (oh, the buttons!, your hair...

Bettie and Mars said...

oh, lovely! that hairstyle really suits you :) been meaning to get a pair of tights that color too, so good!

WendyB said...

Love the tights, love the hair!

Nicole said...

Alas I am unable to help you with the crepe dress - they do indeed shrink, and keep shrinking every time they are washed. Drycleaning is the only way. The first time I made this mistake I turned a size 14 dress into a size 10 - and I've tried again since then and the result is the same. More shrink. Sorry.
PS, garter belts on their way from London. Love the blonde hair.

Lara said...

We too celebrate D-day. My grandfather was in France during WWII and came to the beaches just after D-day's invasion or Normandy Beach. He even went back for the 50th anniversary back in 1994. He met my granmother while he was in Paris and they married there after knowing each other for 3 weeks. She had a wedding dress made out of a parachute! I think my parents had the greatest influence in my obsession with the 1940s.

sushipie said...

I love your new hair color. It turned out very pretty.

xoxo,

sp

elena-lu said...

love the hair and makes me rethink my do (ive always thought i had to curl it and never thought of just pining it how i want like you just did). thats so sad about the dress! and no i dont know how to get it back to size thats too bad and im thank ful you shared because i didnt know that either!

Amelia said...

Wow, I am such a terrible history student. I'd completely forgotten it was D-day. The dots are lovely and I'm loving the blond.

Milla said...

That hair-do is amazing

Jessica Cangiano said...

You look positively gorgeous! I love your polka dot dress and pretty hairstyle.


Wishing you a marvelous weekend,
♥ Jessicas

andrea said...

Your hair looks fantastic. Very cute outfit!

Marmelindela said...

You look very pretty. I have tons of respect for you and your hairspray since I tried to do my hair like that once and it stayed in for like, 3 seconds. Lovely blog. x

Charlie said...

Wow look at that hair - I can't believe they managed to get it in one go - that is impressive! Love everything about the outfit

Quixsa said...

I too associate the dots more with the 1940's and 1950's. It's a very classic look.
That dress looks amazing yet comfortable.So happy when you find dress that can do both.
Nice job of the hair! :high five: impressive that it kept it's shape so well.

Aurélie Muller said...

i wanna cry, this post is perfect! i love her retro style and i love the smiths!

a cat of impossible colour said...

I think you did an amazing job with your (newly blonde) hair! :)

Eyeliah SS said...

Gosh that shade of your hair is so lovely, reminds me of Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette in the best way!

Hannah&Sophie said...

I loveeee your hair! Would you be able to take a picture of the back of your head? Im really curious as to what you do to the rest of your hair!

milk said...

I've awarded you.
Your hair looks great!!

selftransfom said...

Those rolls in your hair are fantastic! Very retro feelings.

Keep it up!
Lizabeth

Pretty Little Pictures said...

Your hair looks lovely, I think I'm going to give it go...

KittyMeow said...

LOVE the hair! The blonde looks beautiful on you :-D

StrikeMatch said...

I cannot tell you how much I love your hair! And oh no about the dress! Washing everything by hand is always my fall back.

Alain de Botton said...

How can you compare D-Day to something as whimsical as dots? you get a D for disgraceful.
Also, you look like a nurse.

esme and the lane way said...

Thanks for the nice comments :) I will go and visit your blogs asap in return, rather than spend too much time here. Hannah&Sophie: yes, soon, in the next day or two :) Circa vintage – hooray for the belt! Thanks! Lara: that is such an interesting and romantic story. It must be so nice to know so much about your family history. It is also so nice to hear about the good things that happened during such a horrible time.

And Alain de Botton: if you read my post from beginning to end, it should be clear that I am not comparing the two at all. I didn't intend to belittle D Day, but acknowledge it, as I honestly did on the day. It was simply a link from this one important subject to a much more light hearted one, as I specifically point out. WWII is an interest of mine, and it does upset me to see that something I have written about such an unimaginably terrible time has been so misunderstood, and has offended someone. I really am sorry that has happened. It doesn't upset me that you don't like my outfit, though.

Maria G. said...

I love your dress and your hair!! have a nice day! kisses.

Tara Diane said...

I'm loving the hair, so cute! Now I want to try that super badly. I've been rolling my hair a lot lately as well.

LadyDiaphane said...

You are really lovely in this outfit and the blod hair suits you so well ... ^^

Lucia said...

Hello! Your blog is so lovely :) I just have a quick question for you....the blonde shade is so perfect and I'm usually a blonde myself but can't find a good hairdresser....I'm dying to know where you went to get the blonde done! That would be so great! If you wanted to, you could check out my blog too, rememberorbeli.blogspot.com
Thanks, Lucia xo

Pintora Maniaca said...

You look beautiful. Awesome hair!

Dallas Shaw said...

been following your flickr page- great stuff
dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...