Tuesday, 6 October 2009

my dressing table – early days


One of the many things I love about my new home is that there is room for me to have a dressing table. I have wanted one for years. Now it is in place, and I am setting it up just how I want it; dressing the dressing table?


I am looking for the perfect little chair, a nice glass bowl to put my cotton wool in, maybe a lamp... and I hope to find these at op shops soon. I also need some wood to go under the glass bit in the middle; I have the glass, but I also have a hefty cat who likes to jump on things! Some fabric on the wood, under glass, will look nice, I think.


I don't work on Tuesdays at the moment (and it is bliss! But of course it can't last forever :) ) and so I had a go at the faux bangs as per Fleur's tutorial, on her fantastic diary of a vintage girl blog. It's a great tutorial, and this style is so easy to do. I do have work tomorrow (end of lazy bliss for another week, sigh) and will wear this style – it is perfect for the crazy, windy weather we are having, and will survive the hours I spend in those pink headphones!


dress from a garage sale, vintage fur collar from a vintage (and actually vintage – rare treat!) garage sale (selling '30s dresses for next to nothing, but there were all too big – nooooo! so disappointing)
scarf thrifted years ago back in putney
topshop shoes, bag from a vintage market (it's not vintage though, but I love it), obligatory Lula magazine (and it's my favourite one yet)

music the shangri-las remember (walking in the sand)

18 comments:

LandGirlontheHomeFront said...

oh, I'm aching for a waterfall dressing table myself. Your table is lovely, as is our outfit and hair. SO glad you are back!

Helen said...

oh i love this table, it reminds me of one we had at my nana's when i was growing up

elena-lu said...

hurray for a proper dressing table!! i too wish for that but have no room at the moment as well im sure one day i will be able to enjoy one! good to see your photos for inspiration! happy day to you (even though you are back at work now!)

Q's Daydream said...

I've always wanted a dressing table too! My hubby and I are always looking at them when we go thrifting, but we haven't found the right one just yet. I adore your hair and that outfit! I can't wait until my hair is longer. I remember when your hair was my length and yours seems to have grown so fast!

Emily Kennedy said...

Oooh divine. I quite wanted a dressing table as well, but the house my hubby and I recently bought is quite old, with very small rooms. We couldn't make one fit. Hopefully in the next house.

goldenmeans said...

I'd love to see what you do with your dressing table :) I have a vanity of my own, but right now it is just littered with jewelry boxes and candles...I need to formally"dress" it soon as well ;)

Eyeliah said...

wow, you look so lovely here. I have always wanted a vanity table (what they are called in canada) but I still do not have the room... one day. Yours is just like the ones I've pictured owning, enjoy it!

Ms. B said...

Oh I'm so jealous of your dressing table! I've been looking for the perfect Art Deco one with rounded corners for years and haven't come across one yet. One day.

*indie_queen* said...

You look lovely. I have a dressing table though it is nowhere as near as nice as yours :)

Bucca said...

Lovely outfit! and your table is so pretty - can't wait to see how it turns out!

Anastasia said...

Such a lovely dressing table!! I'm so glad you're back!! I was missing your classy style.
~Anastasia

esme and the lane way said...

LandGirlontheHomeFront: thanks so much! Is this what a waterfall d t is? I'll look it up... :)

Helen: thanks! Yep it's a proper oldie from the forties, hooray for bargain-y estate sale shops! :D

elena-lu: I hope you can soon! We just spent 5 years living in the smaaaaallest flat, so this is a new luxury for sure! :D

Q's Daydream: thank you! At first I only found ones with mirrors missing, really damaged etc at Op Shops, but after a few weeks our luck changed :) Good luck with your search! Oh and thanks about my hair. It does seem to grow fast now (as my roots always tell me, ha!) but believe me, when it was short it took sooooo long – and wasn't even a nice cut :( Your hair always looks so lovely, you can enjoy nice hair while it grows! :D

Emily Kennedy: I love old houses with small rooms! Maybe you can squeeze one in somewhere soon? :)

goldenmeans: I can imagine mine getting covered qucikly, too – I'll have to be tidy. I think I might be too tidy for a while, and it'll be really plain haha!

Eyeliah: thanks! Vanity table sounds cool, like vanity case for train case... :D

Ms. B: Oh no! Good luck – maybe it'll turn up somewhere unexpected? Mine sort of did :)

*indie_queen*: I'd love to see it – wold you do a post? I love seeing dressing tables :)

Bucca: thanks! I will post when there are any changes, knowing me that may take a while..!

Anastasia: thanks very much! (my roots are really not too classy today though ;) )

Katie said...

Oh, wow, a dressing table is so lovely. Bit unfortunately there's no space in my room for such a thing. And your hair is cool (:

Stéphanie said...

You are perfect !
http://mimietnini.canalblog.com/

Maria said...

Love your dressing table! What a great find. I also love your blog with all photos and your style, of course! Glad to see you back!

Maria

sara said...

your dressing table is so lovely! and your hair looks perfect.

sugar plum fairy said...

i ♥ your vintage style.
amazing blog!!!

Cassiopeia said...

what an amazing piece! lucky you :) xxxc

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...