Wednesday, 24 February 2010

a little light reading


I've had a bit of a cold for the last few days, and got to enjoy a little reading. Here are some vintage books and magazines that I have. I picked up the 1957 British Vogue on Saturday. It is the August issue, which is perfect for me here in Australia, as we are heading into Autumn now. It's fun reading about what was coming into fashion then; I too am going to be wearing marmalade, greens, and black and white in the next few months, and I cannot wait for it to be cold enough for stockings again. Oh, and to look at those suits..! I have a beautiful 1940s one, and a 1950s styled one in grey, which will have a lot of outings. I've seen a few more vintage ones online, too, that I really rather want...






A few months ago I found this Beauty book. Written for Australian women in 1935, it is a gem, full of surprisingly modern and sensible tips; the focus is on health for beauty, as well as fashion and make up advice. It is also just fascinating reading about all the details from back then... like the vintage manicure (popular with bloggers today! It does look good) and the false eyelashes – which I will be donning when the temperature drops. I would like to share more of this book with you, if you'd like.




Finally, I have been mulling over these pictures from an early '30s (1930 or 1931, I can't remember, and it is buried deep in the text somewhere) film magazine. It has been a bit like having a kind of reverse time machine – some names very famous to us now are spoken of as new starlets, and wampas, who might or might not achieve silver screen immortality... and those gorgeous hair cuts! I need a hair cut desperately at the moment, and these make me want to lop off several inches and perfect the finger wave (and go blond again, too, but that just cannot happen!). I will show more of these pictures soon, I'm sure... there are some gorgeous dresses in there!


HOUSEKEEPING I have been a terrible blogger of late, and I have a lot of catching up to do with commenting – I am sorry. I am feeling much better now, and can get on to it :) I also need to update my blog roll – if you aren't on there and want to be, please just let me know, as I know there are several missing! xxx


Ellie said...

That book is divine - i have some fabulous 1950s - in particular a collection of stories and illustrations from PLAYBOY, of all things!

Gabaz said...

Can you add me on your blogroll? :) I love your blog and check it nearly every day.

muchlove said...

what amazing reading material. I would love to go through some vintage fashion magazines and look at the trends and articles of those days. it's interesting to see how much/ how little has changed.

PS. would love to be on your blog roll! I'll put you on mine too :)

Emma said...

wow that book looks fab! i will have to try and find a copy for myself! I would love to be on your blog roll if you read me! x

Sher said...

Wow, I think it's amazing how you found these treasures to read! They're lovely!!

It would be so great if you could add me on your blog roll! You're already on mine:)


casey said...

These are so neat! I just love paging through old magazines and books for inspiration. I have a vintage beauty book from the 50s that is so fun to read through! :)

Hope you're feeling better now! :)

♥ Casey
blog |

Talia said...

I think that all of us should have such book ;)

Saving Capulet said...

those photos are divine!

Charlie said...

wow that book looks so interesting! :)

heleen said...

Oh my, what lovely reads! I wouldn't mind spending a few sick days with those magazines. And I'm excited to see what you'll be wearing once it gets colder! I'm currently out of inspiration and can't be bothered anymore to dress fashionably, I just want to be warm!

harbourmaster said...

Divine! Glamour photos from the 30s are always so striking. Finger waves would look amazing! I've never managed to master them haha. Don't be sad that you can't go back to blonde, brunette suits you just as well.

I'd love to be on your blogroll if you deem it appropriate :)

Amy said...

Oh what fun - I'd like to get my hands on the beauty book. When I was a teenager I read a 1960s edition of Emily Post and it fascinated me, your book sounds even better.
Also want to chime in and say I adore your brown hair. It is so striking and sets off your complexion beautifully. Blonde was lovely as well, but the brown is amazing!

fashionforwriters said...

I love that this post is all about books! And vintage books and magazines no less. The vintage book on beauty sounds fascinating and I'd love to hear more about you as you get into it.

I used to own this old VHS tape on manners and how to comport yourself at the dinner table that I was obsessed all the time (although I never emulated it and still had terrible table manners.)

And Meggy and I love love your blog and your blog has been on our sidebar for some time now (maybe since the beginning when Meggy started Fashion for Writers?) It would tickle us pink to be added to your blogroll.

xo Jenny

sarah louise said...

All of those look like fab, fun reads. I have a Celebrity Look Book from the early 30s an ex gave me, it's one of my most prized possessions.

I haven't commented before but I love your blog, been reading it for a few weeks now. It would be great to be added to your blogroll, I believe I added you to mine.

Sarah Louise

flair to remember said...

wow, what great reads! I'd love to be annoyingly reading over your shoulder especially for the Vogue & beauty book! So interesting!!


Laurel said...

What lovely images of lovely books. I work in a Library at a University (hidden away in an office though - admin aka paper shuffling) and now I want to sneak away into the shelves and try and find something at least a fraction as captivating as these.


ps. I would love to be on your blogroll if you would like to add me x

Lulu said...

these are beautiful pictures!
oh and you've been on my blogroll for a while =] loove your site! itd be awesome to be on yours!
ps-your glasses rock!

esme and the lane way said...

Ellie: I love 195s books, Those Playboy illustrations sound amazing! love the images from then, inc. the racy ones!

Gabaz: I can :)

muchlove: It is! Of course :)

Emma: yes :) It's a really cool book, I think I will post more stuff from it soon :)

Sher: yep :)

casey: I almost feel bad when I buy the magazines, but I love them so much. And old beauty books are just soooo good. :) Pretty much better now, thanks!

Talia: hehe I'll post from it! It's awesome!

Saving Capulet: thanks!

Charlie: it is, I love it :)

heleen: it was nice to do :) makes a cold ok (when I woke up, anyway, haha). The end of a season gets so dull, especially the end of winter, I think. I was so over it last time :)

harbourmaster: I love finger waves so much. My hair is too long now, though, to end in the little curls... thanks about the brunette. I love the dark hair too. But sometimes..! :) And of course I'll add you!

Amy: thanks very much! I am going to look up Emily Post, it sounds fascinating. :)

fashionforwriters: the etiquette tape sounds amazing! I love that kind of thing. I've read the book a bazillion times (it's kind of soothing!) but I will definitely post more of it on here. ANd that I don't have you on my list proves that sometimes I have a sultana for a brain.

sarah louise: that book sounds amazing! Thanks very much Will add :)

flair to remember: I remember what seems like ages ago you picked up a whole stack of vintage Vogues? They looked amazing! :D

Laurel: what an amazing job! I'd love to do that. Even if finding the tome to rummage through the books was often hard :) And yes of course! Aren't you on there?! :< Sultana brain (me)!

Lulu: thanks! Yes :)

Vintagesuburbia said...

Dear M, Another great post! I also have a few 40s jackets and suits. The only thing I noticed is that the peplum waist/skirt feature kind of makes my bum stick out (or rather stick out further than it does already!). I am always on the hunt for unique Lili Ann suits so if you spot any you don't want, please let me know. Let me know if you are after anything particular and I will also keep my eye out (PS Lyn the Melb 40s collector sometimes sells stuff in Clara Fox).
Cheers, maria, Vintage Suburbia
PS Would love it if you could add me to your blog roll too!

esme and the lane way said...

Vintagesuburbia: thanks very much! I will keep an eye out for you too :) I like peplums, and the sticky-outy is nice! I am adding you to the list right now; for a while I couldn't access your blog as it said I needed to be invited, but I just checked and it was fine. I'm glad!

Amy Alexandra said...

I just love vintage magazines. I have a large stack of home magazines (Belle, etc) from the 60s, they're just gorgeous.

Hope you feel better soon!

Kiri said...

Wow, that looks like a fantastic read. I love old books and magazines!

Haha, and here I am wishing it was Summer, I've been layering and shivering my toes off for months now. I can't wait to see your outfits though, you're always so inspiring. Rather frustratingly so at times, because I can never seem to find anything that even slightly resembles your gorgeous clothes.

I wouldn't mind being added to your blog roll, don't feel like you have to though. :) That reminds me, I've been meanign to make one, there are so many fantastic blogs I love. . .

Sara said...

I'd love to be added to your blogroll, you're already on mine. :)

Sleekit said...

hi Emse,

These pics are devine!

Would love if you would be so kind and put me on your roll

I have just posted some gorgeous red fabrics, I think you might like em.

Sleekit x

KittyMeow said...

Wow you must share more of that 30's beauty book. What a find!! :-D

And I'd love to be added to your blog roll if you're offering (Esz here btw from Kitty's Drawings :-D)

Anastasia said...

Oh my goodness...that book looks delectable! And I think that the 40's and 50's were absolutely the most glamorous decades of them all! You would fit right in, my dear!
And I would be honored to be on your blogroll if you don't find it intrusive...

adi said...

I love your blog, and I think you have an amazing style! That book looks amazing! I went through 3 or 4 books from the 30s last year on career women for a research paper, and even though it wasn't at all relevant for my topic, I spent a lot of time thumbing through the fashion sections.

P.S. I'm new to your blog, but I'd love to be on your blogroll if you can find anything to interest you on mine...

sanjeet said...

what amazing reading material.
fashion videos

cc22 said...





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...