Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Heritage Hill

Photobucket

On Sunday we visited Heritage Hill in Dandenong. First, we were up before dawn to help la familia make the year's supply of tomato salsa, and, some 200 bottles later, we could despatter, quickly change, and hit the road.

Photobucket

The exhibition was of vintage clothing hand-made by Mrs Dorothy Hart of Benga House, between the 1930s and 1970s. It was really interesting to have a close look at how they were made, and there were three I wanted to run off home with: the grape coloured dress, made in the '40s from a '30s fabric (look at the hand print!); a blue dress and bolero, also made in the '40s; and a late '30s black dress with beautiful pleat and embroidery details.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The nicest surprise of the exhibition was that most of the house was open for display, too. It had been refurnished in the style it had during the '30s and '40s. It was so nice to look at the different rooms and decor.

Photobucket

I was happy to see that the purple dress had a skirt-frill-apron thing (can someone tell me what these are actually called?!) just like my repro dress. I forgot my camera and was really tired, so no outfit pics – but I will show the dress soon. These pics are from a camera phone, so I'm sorry for the horrible quality of them but I just had to take some!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ah, I almost forgot: something that made me very happy was spotting this book. It is the same 1930s beauty book that I have! I wonder if it was actually a genuine belonging, or something sourced later for the exhibition? It is a great book, and I will definitely share bits of it soon.

Photobucket

12 comments:

Betty Lou said...

ok, i wanna live there!

blinks.of.life said...

the photo actually looks pretty good. it matches the whole vintage feel of the house :)

my bat lightning heart said...

So lovely!
And I also spot the book snugglepot & cuddlepie...my mum used to read that to my sister and I when we were little! So many memories...such a gorgeous story.
Thanks for posting.

Stefanie Valentine said...

That looks like a really interesting exhibition, i love the photos of the clothes. xx

sunaina said...

Looks like a lovely place!
xo

The Sweet Halcyon Days said...

The room is stuffed with everything I love! Amazing!

esme and the lane way said...

Betty Lou: me too!

blinks.of.life: hehe thanks the house was so lovely :)

my bat lightning heart: cool! I love those books too.

Stefanie Valentine: it was. I felt bad showing photos of the whole dresses though – but the were sooooo nice!

sunaina: it really is. I hope they have more exhibitions there.

The Sweet Halcyon Days: I know! And the furniture was nice, there were the big radios... really cool. :)

FelixInHollywood said...

Love the vanity table. Love the portable radio. Love it all!

If I'm visualizing the detail on the dress that you described correctly, I believe you're talking about a peplum.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment on my post about Gilbert Adrian. Hope you'll come back!

Emily Kennedy said...

Whoa. That is sincerely ALOT of salsa-making!

The house is so neat. I'm glad you got to see the exhibit!

sanjeet said...

the photo actually looks pretty good. it matches the whole vintage feel of the house
fashion videos

Nicole said...

I love the house! The plum printed dress is my favourite - and the piece you mention is usually called a draped swag. During WW2, the ladies would use the fabric offcuts to embellish the dresses, to make up for the lack of fabric and to make them more fancy.

I love them - and this dress is a good example. The fabric is amazing!

esme and the lane way said...

FelixInHollywood: me too! I wasn't very descriptive with the dress detail; the frill is only on one side, so it's not a peplum. But I saw the answer below :) Thanks though! ps I love your blog :)

Emily Kennedy: it certainly is! But I think 3.5 hours of work is pretty good for all that salsa for the whole year :)

sanjeet: thanks :)

Nicole: aha thank you! Such a beautiful dress. I also had to touch the fabric (with very clean hands, but, I know) and it was sooooo soft – very fancy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...