Wednesday, 17 March 2010

purple floral skirt



It is still summer-hot, and to be honest I think I am tiring a little of my summer clothes. Despite my efforts, there are still lots of things I need (and I can say need and actually mean it here, hooray!), and there are also plenty of things I now know I should have got. The stripy dress I saw a few weeks ago but felt we were too close to autumn to justify; the 1950s summer dresses I never, never find in my size; the 1940s tea dresses I cannot for the life of me manage to get (why, why?); the two pairs of summer sandals that would get me through the hot months. One pair of those summer sandals might just find their way to me soon anyway, because there is always the option of tights, stockings, socks...



And, speaking of socks – like so. A 1970s Laura Ashley floral skirt, swooshy and airy, with a simple cotton top, good for a hot and windy Melbourne evening. Hair naturally straight and safely secured out of my eyes. The socks have benefits; an unplanned but beautiful walk through the Carlton Gardens was as comfortable as could be, even after several hours on my feet, followed by a good few more. Who said high heels had to be uncomfortable? And I just really like the look of socks and shoes and bare legs. I wore little white ankle socks through summer, and will wear coloured ones into Autumn. Who knows, perhaps they will layer over my tights in winter?





purple floral skirt 1970s
cotton top some old (the kind you hold on to because, you know, you never know)
dark red-y purple socks vintage nos
two tone peep toe shoes country road 18 months ago
bow tie (in hair) vintage


28 comments:

Q's Daydream said...

amazing!! i love the colored socks so much! and why are 40s tea dresses so hard to find?!

Jordan said...

I am so in love with that skirt, there is something so beautiful about a skirt that you can spin around in circles wearing!

x

Kate said...

Aw that skirt is darling! And I love your socks too! :)

esme and the lane way said...

Q's Daydream: thanks! The few times I see a perfect '40s tea dress I've got all fretful and find something wrong with it, or something, so silly..!

Jordan: thanks! I agree, especially when it is over 30C :)

Kate: thanks very much!

♥Lola said...

I adore this skirt, it's such a pretty colour :)

Stefanie Valentine said...

I love your socks and heels, they look so cute on you! x

Sher said...

Such a pretty floral skirt! And that's the best combination of socks + sandals I've seen!

Also love the pink lips instead of your usual red, you look lovely:)

xx

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Totally love the socks teamed with the skirt and the shoes are also fab. xx

Rosie said...

Loove this purple hue! Beautiful as usual darling!

Esz said...

The socks and sandals look way cute :-D Yay for being able to pull them off!

tess said...

the way you tied in the bow was genius and beautiful

Sleekit said...

I'm over summer outfits too, which is why I am playing dress ups in my lounge room shielded from the heat outside, just posted.
Totally agree socks and heels a go go!

Sleekit x

Andi B. Goode said...

I need to buy more socks for Autumn and some cute lace-up shoes with a tiny bit of a heel.
-Andi x

Shrutzz said...

wowww, so pretty

Mystery Flight Vintage said...

i adore those shoes! you are a stunner!

Sal said...

What a fabulously playful look! Now I'm itching to try socks and sandals.

Faux Naif said...

oh i do that all the time! i am socks-and-sandals, socks-and-tights, socks-and-anything-really girl.

a few days ago my friends made fun of me for wearing tights + socks + wedge sandals and then BAM, a photo of a girl wearing exactly the same thing on the sartorialist. i felt quite smug indeed.

you look lovely!

Eyeliah said...

that hairdo is super cute, I've been dying to scrunch some socks but I don't think I have the right shoes for it.

sueper said...

great shoes

Lauren Cooke said...

I love the two shades in the sandals and they look very cute with the socks. I need some pretty socks!

Helga said...

LOVE those socks and shoes!
I have only ever found 1 fifties frock that fitted-it was a miracle!

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

Everything about this photo is perfect. Love the bow, love your house and that skirt!

Tina said...

I love the shoes and socks look. Very cute. I've knitted a few pairs of socks with gorgeous yarn that would look cute in some neutral sandals. :)

Vanessa said...

i agree: shoes and socks make a great combo :)
wardrobeunderconstruction.blogspot.com

Dotti said...

Oooooh! That's such a darling look. I simply like it all – from head to toe. Or on other words: from bow to socks. ;)

darlingdee said...

Amazing skirt!

Very cute... the socks and shoes are the most adorable touch.

xx
DD

http://darlingdeedee.blogspot.com

soulier dans la neige said...

that's a pefect outfit to start autumn.

Miss Woody said...

really perfect !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...