Monday, 21 June 2010

braces/suspenders - and a vintage hat

Photobucket

So here I am, catching up once again... I am sorry. Things got a bit manic (in a good way) and I will have something to show for it soon! I have since had a big allergic reaction to my cat (and I now look gross; oh dear), so in some ways it is good that I got behind with my posting as I have some from last week to share, and can wait for post-reaction-face to settle.

And there have been some other minor irritations, too; like here, my tripod was very broken and the camera kept sliding down the pole, leaving me with some pictures taken from a much lower spot than is ideal, and, in these pictures, me making some rather strange faces. Of course, my tripod wasn't broken at all, and just needed something tightened, but I only worked this out afterwards. Well, you live and learn...

Photobucket

I have had this skirt and attached braces for a few years now, and I still love it. It is new (well, now new-ish, obviously) but I love braces (suspenders to some, but suspenders to me are what you hold your stockings up with. You can imagine my initial reaction when I hear about men wearing suspenders to, say, important business meetings, then), I love them on men and I love them especially on women. These ones are the button attach-y ones, and I have no other skirts with the required buttons on them (I really should fix this) but I do love the shape of this skirt, too. Here it is with a little round collared vintage blouse, cream tights and my old faithful target t-bars. I really must get another pair to replace these, as sadly they can't last forever.

Photobucket

I seem to have been bitten by the vintage-hat-collecting bug! I love this one; the bow! the coral colour! the netting!!! Actually the netting has a little tear, and I am in two minds about sewing it together. The mend would show, and the tear isn't so bad... we'll see. I didn't wear the hat with this outfit, in the end, as I am still deciding (and moving just slightly slower than glacial speed about it, too.) Anyway, I must thank the reader who suggested Mac's Vegas Volt lipstick; the colour is great, and the colour match with my hat is perfect! So, thank you, thank you!

hat dear gladys (great shop in Northcote High Street. Go, go!)
blouse vintage, thrifted
skirt & braces cue, several years ago though
tights ummm, thrifted (new in packet), I think?
black shoes well, you know by now! :)

Photobucket

36 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm smitten with the vintage hat bug as well. loving the bow and netting combo, and found the comment about the suspenders quite humorous

~K

Hannah said...

I agree that the look of suspenders- braces -is especially cool on women. And especially cool on you.
Your fascinator looks so cute with this outfit.

Christy said...

I wish I could pull off vintage hats like you can! You look so effortless and elegant. And that coral color is really lovely!

Maddie said...

I love this hat so much the colour is so beautiful on your skin tone and how it has the adorable netting. :D

Maddie of Maddizone

Gracie said...

Wowowow, you look aammmaazzing here!

Lucy, Dear Fish said...

I love your hat! It is so beautiful and it suits you so well. I only have one hat that I love, I got it custom made for me and it makes me so happy every time I put it on. I want more but it's an expensive habit, so I think I shall be frequenting the vintage shops to find one a la Esme and the lane way!

om said...

The braces and skirt combo are such a winner... boy-style even, I think. They're just too cute!

Those Tricks said...

what a nice high waist on that skirt!

♥Lola said...

Love this head piece, it's so pretty :) The vegas volt lippie looks really pretty on you. I think I might go and pick one up for myself :)

Oley said...

its been a while since i've visited your site. And I'm loving every post of it. the vintage is so sweet & the photographs are simple.

I like the Hopelessly devoted ones especially. they offered a sweet Vougeish style.

Zohar said...

ha that's cute! I good combination between feminine and masculine :)

Zohar said...

ha - that's cute -a good combination between feminine and masculine :)

Lightning Heart said...

wow, you look absolutely stunning!

jozefina said...

So pretty hat !!! I love it !!!

http://jozefinafashion.blogspot.com/

MarieBayArea said...

you're so right, i.e. your beautiful vintage hat and that MAC lipstick match perfectly. brilliant (as always!).

rubyslippers_86 said...

Gorgeous skirt,the suspenders are great. The hat looks lovely, that coral shade is so pretty always makes me think of sherbet!

Andi B. Goode said...

Ohhhh, I simply adore this outfit!! Everything about it is wonderful. I like the hat with it - the hat is so traditionally feminine whilst the suspenders allude to menswear. =]
-Andi x
PS That lipstick shade is gorgeous.

Charlotte said...

Oh wow, I love everything about this outfit! The skirt, the braces, the fabulous hat, the pop of coral colour, and the lipstick - I'll take it all!

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha'penny

Anniina said...

Your hat is lovely, and the skirt as well! I hope I'll find a vintage turban someday, or just a normal hat, because I have none! :-|

Carys said...

I love the braces, and your skirt is such a nice shape!! I love your hat too!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

going-in-sane said...

This outfit is so pretty and it has the perfect vintage feel to it.

-Ana

lola said...

I love your pretty skirt! And your vintage hat so beautiful!

Justice Pirate said...

Very cute!! I love the hat and the braces with the skirt are amazing!

Jenni said...

I love the skirt and the hat!

Valentina said...

The dear gladys hat is unbelievable!And I love the match with the suspenders..girly + tomboy, pretty genius....

Love your blog!

Valentina from Fashion Trotter – 100% italian street style

http://fashiontrotter.blogspot.com

Cassidy said...

i love your hair piece ! i have one similar except in black .

much love <3

http://bisousmonamourrevised.blogspot.com/

Miss Woody said...

wonderful hat !

Becca Jane said...

This outfit is so elegant and gorgeous!!! Love love love

vintagebirdy said...

you pull this look off like WOW. and love the hat! it's so pretty!

Love,
vintage-birdy.blogspot.com
{no, it's not about birds}

Riikka said...

Such a gorgeous outfit!

Helen said...

i used to have a pair of amazing trousers with braces attached to them, i am now missing them so much after seeing this post!

wallspank said...

beautiful outfit, i can't believe those shoes are from Target!

Super Kawaii Mama said...

Hooray!! That hat was awinner from the moment you picked it up, it is the perfect colour on you! <3 xx

POOKIE said...

I absolutely LOVE this skirt--what a fantastic vintage look!

Anonymous said...

I love women wearing braces/suspenders! Hope they are becoming fashionable again. Ralph

Anonymous said...

Great look! I have a similar skin tone and I'd like to know what blush do you use? I've been experimenting with quite a few but they don't look quite right on me. Any tips is truly appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...