Wednesday, 30 June 2010

wool vest, and books

Photobucket

Wow, so today is the last day of June, and that means the end of the first month on winter. Wow, that flew... I was planning on doing posts about things I love about winter (and there are many things) but time has really been getting away from me lately. Still, this kinda points at one, sort of, a bit... ;)

Photobucket

It has been really, really windy (and cold, and blustery rainy in general) here all week, and, on a day off, I love to waste time drinking tea and reading books (which might just explain where my time has been going!). And then I was inspired by two lovely ladies I work with; one, for the vest, and the second for the eyelashes! One of our mannequins at work, Lola, is a beauty from the 1940s, and she has the most amazing eyelashes that cast shadows on her perfectly sculpted and painted cheeks. So, thank you, ladies!

Photobucket

Ideally, I would love to have some black glasses – I love cats eye shaped ones – as I think black rimmed glasses look great. Unfortunately getting lenses, even clear ones, put into glasses is so expensive here that it is too much of a luxury for me, for now... But, if I can't have black glasses, I can still frame my eyes with long, black false eyelashes. I find that the glue that comes with false lashes is a bit rubbish, and so I buy a special one – and it is amazing; no more lashes making a bid for freedom here. With these dramatic eyes, I used my new pale pink lipstick; it is such a change from my usual strong coloured lips but with dark eyes, I really like it. And I've already chatted on a bit, so I'll keep this brief, but on the advice of a friend (with amazing hair) I gave a certain hairspray a try – and I love it. It is really hard to take pics of pin curls in my dark hair, but hey, maybe you can see them... now the wind has died down here I look forward to having some big hair again. I feel so strange without it, and even though I do like my little boos*, my strict little bun looks better in real life than in photos! I feel a beehive coming on...

Photobucket

wool vest second hand shop in Brunswick
white pussy bow blouse op shop
pencil skirt Circa Vintage Clothing
white tights welovecolors.com
black shoes mollini.com.au
white bow in hair (I tried to photo it but FAIL, hehe) vintage bow tie, vintage furniture shop in Brunswick
*little boos are my pet name for those looped pin curls I wear flat on my head


Photobucket

43 comments:

Fiona Timantti said...

Lovely outfit!

esme and the lane way said...

Fiona Timantti: thanks! :)

Cecylia said...

You look gorgeous as usual!

Anonymous said...

I have three words for you - hair tutorial, please? And I love your outfit! You look gorgeous! Danielle

om said...

gooooorgeous.

 Viv said...

Lovely! You've inspired me to put on a vest, blouse and over the knees skirt for work tomorrow, thanks!

Rosie said...

Your makeup looks beautiful! You're really making me miss cooler temperatures!

Justice Pirate said...

this set is so adorable!! I love it so much!

Andi B. Goode said...

Very lovely. I like using the pale lipstick with the dramatic eyes - great idea. I'm pants at putting on false eyelashes. They stick everywhere but my eyelid ;]
-Andi x

harbourmaster said...

Marianne, you are adorable. Every photo and outfit you post is just cuter and cuter! The dark eyes/pale pink lippie is a good combo. What eyelash glue do you use? I've got one by Lashme (or something) but it's crap :p

BaronessVonVintage said...

Oh, I just adore EVERYTHING about your whole look. Fantastic!

Anniina said...

I love your look! Your hairdo is really beautiful. You're so cute in the photos. :--))

BikeWorkPlay said...

You are very very beautiful!

Charlotte said...

Wow, I'm totally digging the librarian-chic thing you've got going on here - you look beautiful!

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha'penny

Sarah J said...

Oh this is wonderful! It reminds me of the mysterious and slightly magical image given to librarians in childrens storybooks. Only you have managed to make it look wonderfully stylish too!

Lulu Peddar said...

such a great look, love the fake lashes too! You look like a cute vintage librarian!!

vegiebug said...

your lashes look super cute and natural too! :D

Saving Capulet said...

oh so beautiful!!

Sara said...

Wow, how pretty outfit! Reminds me of some sort of librarian or a teacher, and I mean it in a good way :> And your eyes are stunning. I like those books :>

-Sara

Autumn, Coffee and Inspiration

Mlle Alexandra said...

Very lovely as always!
Don't worry about talking too much; your posts are great and it's fun to have something to read! :)

Artesania said...

You look so beautiful! love your style :*

little miss vintage said...

Very cute hairstyle!
Great outfit!

sayYESmore said...

Ah I love looking at you in your wintery clothes while Im sweltering in the heat (yup, Scotland gets warm!) and wishing for October to hurry up so I can get my tights back on!

ergyerg said...

Love the photos-those old books are beautiful! xxxxxxxx

Sarah said...

This outfit is just lovely and so sweet. I love your hair as well. Perfect!

thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Oh Esme, you're so gorgeous (as usual!) I love the outfit... and the hair... and the shoes (they're in a separate category of their own)... and especially the makeup!

You're like the dream version of my inner, vintage self!

Welcome to July :)

Stefanie Valentine said...

This outfit is perfect! I may steal the vest and shirt idea if you don't mind for winter, it's so adorable! And I have never noticed the beautiful colour of your eyes before; without the red lipstick your eyes just pop x

The Collar of the Dove said...

you look beautiful! love the hairstyle:)

Carys said...

You look absolutely amazing, what an elegant, stylish outfit!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Janice said...

Your gorgeous!!! I really like your blog:) fake handbag

fashionforwriters.com said...

Your make up is so so pretty! I love it, and your winter style is so classically beautiful :)

xo Jenny

Katie said...

Your makeup and outfit is so cute! Love it.

Ian Wolcott said...

Pretty girl + smart clothes + books = very nice indeed.

Monica said...

Did I ever tell you how lovely you look? And I like the lipstick!

Monica

thisismybookonly.blogspot.com
or
alohatomylife.blogspot.com

Becca Jane said...

I love everything about this outfit - This should be the uniform of librarians everywhere..

flair to remember said...

love the look - especially the makeup! Would love to see a beehive too :) :)
Can you share eyelash tips? Glue recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Damn eyelash freedom! hehe

xxx

MissMarbelle said...

You look lovely and warm, in a glam way of course! The cold is really getting to me, I keep thinking I've dressed warm enough, but spend half the day shivering.

I love how you've pulled off this prim look without looking "granny"... it must be the white tights and funky shoes, I must try that sometime :-)

nessbow said...

I really love the pale lipstick. I always feel a bit hesitant wearing soft lip colours, I'm a little paranoid about looking oxygen-deprived. You do it well though!

Vintagesuburbia said...

I agree with Miss Marbelle, kudos maximus for pulling this look off without looking like nanna (as I do!) I am scared of white tights (one needs the legs for them) but I might just give them a whirl. Congrats on a great post.
Maria x
PS I love those sorts of books you have - the titles and art work are fantastic. Am a complete sucker for vintage orange and white penguins:)

MarieBayArea said...

you're the campus beauty. you look like the thinking person's hottie. i like this studious, academic, yet sweetly sexy aesthetic you've created here.

Elisabeth said...

You look amazing and your blog is fantastic, truly an inspiration.
May I ask what lipstick you're wearing? It just might be the shade I've been looking for. Thanks a lot!

Olivia R said...

Hi, thanks for your beautiful blog...its one of my lunchtime faves!

Could you please share the lipstick you are wearing, its such a gorgeous pink without being too frosty, I am really curious!

Juliet Miller said...

I love this shoot Esme! You look gorgeous! The red lipstick suits you but i think this makeup up draws more attention to your eyes. I love the rings in your hair, i might just try that.

xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...