Monday, 20 December 2010

red and pink 1950s dress

On Sunday I wore my new(est!) vintage dress. It's already had its first outing with me, so this is its second trip out into my world – for family photographs, a Christmas party with a great band, and then off to see another band.

red 50s dress b

I wore it with my new stockings with the pink criss crosses down the back. I love them so much – and they are even better than I expected; they stay up and everything!

red 50s dress c

I like the pattern. I wonder if they come in other colours? Cream would be nice, I think.

red 50s dress e

Sometimes I wonder if my blog posts would be complete without bows. I do hope so – but it won't be this time. We'll see if I can do it next time, yes?

red 50s dress f

And because you can't take standing about having your photo taken too seriously... and because my dress has a full skirt... woooeeeeeeee! The skirt had actually been chopped a little, but I knew this when I got it and like it at this length, too.

red 50s dress

I have been setting my hair again, too– not that you can tell here! Argh! This was a day set I had to squeeze in on Saturday morning and could only leave it pinned for a couple of hours, and the lack of time plus our rainy weather meant some pretty limp hair by Sunday! I wish hot rollers worked for me. Booo. At the moment I am wearing my fringe pinned back; I still like it but a) it really needs a trim (I can't see!) and b) I am not sure how I want to wear curls with it. I want to thin the fringe out a little bit too, which will help. I need to start the curls higher up on my head to wear them wi th the fringe, and because my hair has grown so long its getting harder and harder to do... Experiment time!

I have got me a few great vintage dresses lately and have been really, really happy with them... and this leads to problems! Well, kind of a problem, hehe... I just want to be my own santa and treat myself (coz, you know, I never usually do, ha!) to a few beeeyoootiful vintage dresses and skirts that I have seen online... oh, it's hard not to. They're great. But you know how sometimes it just feels like you've got so many things in one go and more feels kind of wrong? Then again, it's this time of year, you just splurge at pretty much everything. Another mince pie? Why yes, don't mind if I do...

red 50s dress d

Well, I hope your Christmas and New Years are good, and you enjoy/survive (let's be honest) all that family and in-law time! I know everyone is really busy at this time of year, and I am no exception. I will try to answer your emails as fast as I can. Please be patient though! I hope I don't completely disappear from here, and to see you soon x

44 comments:

luckiebeauty said...

You look like a doll!
Love the dress <3

esme and the lane way said...

thanks very much! x

angelaseeangelablog said...

Gorgeous photos!

XXASAB

Yoshi said...

Beautiful dress and photos! I think I have a pair of socks that are kind of like your tights :D Where are they from?

Colourful Buttons said...

Gorgeous dress! You look amazing!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Regards,
Kaelyn
http://colourfulbuttons.blogspot.com/

Erin Smith said...

This dress is perfect for you, and i love the way you've styled it with the stockings, how adorable!!!! It's an absolutely beautiful matching outfit, with your dark hair :)

Totally understand what you've said about spoiling yourself at christmas- I've got three dresses (two vintage and one repro) coming in the mail, and i've just received my fully fashioned stockings from What Katie Did. I keep seeing more beautiful things and its so hard to know when to stop!!! I think i have well and truly splurged enough!!!

Thankyou for another beautiful post. I haven't commented much til now, but i have read every one!
Have a very blessed christmas yourself!
xErin

anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

Marissa said...

i concur! loving the whole look (especially the stockings!)

PinkPopMashm

Lauren said...

Such a BEAUTIFUL dress. It looks like it was made for you!!

Sleekit said...

You arrived in my post box the other day (Peppermint), gorgeous!

Those stockings a way cute, you wear them so well

Merry Christmas

Sleekit x

Lady Cherry said...

Great hold ups! I love bows too :-)

Esz said...

Those stockings do come in cream/nude because I have a pair! :-) I Got them from Myer - they have ladders in them already unfortunately but you cant tell so I can still wear them.
They certainly turn heads!

Debi said...

This is one of my favorite outfit posts that you have done. That color is exquisite on you! Love the flower in the hair and the tights are fabulous!

Carys said...

That dress is the loveliest thing ever!! I am so jealous that you can wear such summery clothes (although I am determinedly and insistently wearing my 1950s summer dresses out in the snow, to the amusement of my neighbourhood). You look perfect, and I love the stockings!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Ola said...

love your blog. i'll be back !

please visit

fuckthatfashionart.blogspot.com

kisses

Vicky said...

That's such a lovely dress! I love the movement in the skirt. I have a dress in the same kind of style, and when I first bought it, spent a good fifteen minutes just twirling around in the kitchen x

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

those stockings are so cute and I adore the dress. beautiful.

Juliet Miller said...

This post is amazing! I'm in love with your dress, the buttons on the front are so interesting, like something you'd expect to see on the back part of a wedding dress. I love checking out your blog! Merry Xmas!

xxx

http://julietsreverie.blogspot.com/

Elina said...

I love your stockings! And I love the summer in your photos; here it's -12C and more snow every day.

StrangeBird said...

You look lovely - as always! I haven't been following your blog for very long - do you ever do 'how to' posts on hairstyles?? :)

Sara said...

Oh so gorgeous! I like the dress so much! And those stocking are so cuuute :)

-Sara
autumn, coffee and inspiration

Penny Dreadful said...

Beautiful dress, as always. I've been treating myself an awful lot lately too, but feel I deserve it as I didn't buy anything all summer!

Lainie said...

Gosh I am so in love with those stockings!! And the dress is beautiful. I understand what you mean completely, I shop for vintage or repro dresses for myself while my family and friends complain that I do so-but I just can't help it! have a lovely holiday, try to fit in outfit posts if you can-I find a lot of inspiration in your outfits. :-)

Sal said...

Stunning! And my gosh, those tights are glorious.

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

You look exquisite! Pink/red is such a gorgeous color on you. And the stockings are adorable!

Eyeliah said...

so dreamy with these tights.

Cara-Leigh Jane said...

Such a beautiful dress!
I know what you mean with treating yourself..I shamefully brought two vintage dresses for myself the other day. BUT they were a reasonable price and so so beautiful. So its fine!

thebirthdaygirl said...

Adorable pictures (and model)!!
I'm loving those bow stockings...super sexy..must find those.
Great blog!
LC

Lainie said...

By the way, I wanted to say that it is really cool that you make something so sexy-like cross seamed stockings-look sweet! and not at all trashy hahaha!

Allie said...

Oh I love the whole look! Like Lainie said, you can take those stockings and make them look sweet. I adore your sense of style!

AdoreVintage.com said...

The color is so stunning on you! And I love those stockings! I have some knee high socks that are imprinted to look like Victorian boots and pointe shoes. LOL. Cheeky cute!

xoxo
Rodellee
www.adorevintage.com

Sophi said...

I definitely have to temper my impulse buying at this time of year! I'm in such a generous mood toward everyone else that I start to extend it to myself... Which is totally not the idea, hehe.

I love your style so much! You really rock the rocakbilly look in a very classy, elegant way that sets you apart. You look so beautiful in all of your outfits, which are all beautiful themselves!

xoxo
Sophi
ohsosophi.blogspot.com

Becca Jane said...

You always seem to find the most beautiful and feminine dresses! lovely!

Also, those stockings are superb

MINIK ^_^ said...

i love love your dress and the stockings.. so envious.. you got an awesum taste!! and i love the pink flower!

http://msminik.blogspot.com/

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I always think the vintage dresses you buy are so lucky to have found a good home and beautiful owner. They must break into song when you walk into the store. Love that outfit. As the previous poster said, you always look so feminine with a vintage twist. Merry Christmas to you and your loved one. xx

jeanine romo said...

Love the dress!! Your hair looks great

Dropstitch said...

you look divine in this darling dress! i treated myself to four fabulous frocks on etsy with the hope that one would be my christmas day dress but alas they didn't arrive in time! oh well, hopefully they get here for new year's eve at least!

*chameleon* said...

u left me speechless-u look so beautiful in this dress,it complements your skin color!!!!:) great style and blog as well!!!
p.s. Merry Christmas,best wishes!!+i'm following u-on google and bloglovin!;)
xoxoxoxoxo
http://glamfabchameleon.blogspot.com/

Leah said...

Looooove your dress very nice ;) Mery Christmas to you ;)

Helen said...

Wow that dress is such a perfect fit for you! I never have much luck with vintage stuff and I don't really have the patience either hehe. Merry Christmas.

Emjie said...

Red is a great colour and simply not worn enough. Especially down here in Victoria.

VildesVerden said...

Love the dress!

kay- hairball alley said...

Your blog is lovely and so is your hair, you should be on Tumblr, that's where I saw your photo, I'm not so keen on using Blogger.x

Pixie in Pumps said...

that dress is so stunning. You are gorgeous!

Libby said...

Your stockings are amazing!! Love them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...