Sunday, 30 January 2011

long floral dress

lonflo b

"... maxi dresses are back this summer..." I think I have heard this at the beginning of every summer for at least the past four years. I couldn't care less whether they are back or not; I just didn't think they were for me, and for a number of reasons. I'm short, so won't they swamp me? So much fabric; will I look like a mobile tent?

Over the past few months I have seen some stunning 1930s floor length dresses in beautiful cottons and rayons, with lovely colourful prints, and with cuts that definitely do not make you look like a curtain on the prowl. I liked them a lot more than any of the modern offerings out there... but I didn't want to be making such an investment (they don't come cheap!) on something I wasn't sure about.

lonflo a

And then the most recent Kate Moss for Topshop was released. It had some lovely looking vintage-esque long dresses – and, of course, gorgeously styled photos to match. And as they were so vintage-y styled, perhaps I could find an actual vintage one? I'll take good cotton over polyester where I can, thanks ;) (And let's not start on mass produced and so on, not now, not today, hehe...) I found this 1970s one on etsy. I think it was the colours and the print that really got me, and it had a defined waist and bodice – and those shoulder ruffles! And, I have to say, I love it.

1970s floor length floral dress >> etsy.com
possibly the best shoes I've ever owned, in ivory >> remixvintageshoes.com (the Ritas)

Well, this is turning into a long post..! I am getting into some fairly heavy duty decorating at the moment – I can't wait to have it all finished and to be able to take photos of the end result, and photos on me in it, too! Thanks for the patience with my squashy pictures for now, I'm doing my best :)

lonflo c

22 comments:

Colourful Buttons said...

Lovely dress. Love it!

Cheers,
Kaelyn
http://colourfulbuttons.blogspot.com/

Hillary said...

Wow, amazing dress and adorable pink closet!

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I love it of course. Anything floral I will aways ooh and aah over. xx

Vintagesuburbia said...

Another lovely post! I had to laugh when you said you were short though - I am only 5 foot and a half (that half is very important by the way!) so I don't think you need to be worried about that! (I think Kylie Minogue is the only person shorter than me)(I have done research on this). This dress looks lovely and feminine on you - although it does hide those lovely long legs of yours! Best, Maria
PS I notice you have some storage bags up on the top of your wardrobe - I just went into that storage shop in Chadstone (Howard's Storage) and bought some calico hanger bags to store my winter suits in (to hopefully provide more protection against nasty moths). I think you would find some good stuff in there. xx

BetsyJane said...

Saw the shout out in the 'Meet the Bloggers' article in The Age (Melbourne) Magazine on Friday - good work Esme/Marianne!

GirlonRaw said...

Gorgeous dress. I think I would have fallen in love with it straight away as well. Such pretty colours and it suits your complexion amazingly!

Esz said...

That dress is lovely - the colours are fab. I'm such a fan of florals!

Gabby said...

This dress is super divine. It is one of those few dresses that would brighten up ones day.

www.thegiftofgab-gabby.blogspot.com

BetinApple said...

That dress is SO gorgeous on you. What a great purchase. And I simply adore the 2nd picture. So cute.

I am Vintage Lover said...

So beautiful! xo

www.iamvintagelover.com

Nelly said...

Love the dress you have on you look so lovely I also love the lace one hanging behind you yumm

Carys said...

It's so beautiful, I love it!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

poet said...

It looks really really pretty on you, too! As a fellow short girl, I have the same reservation towards floor-length things, I'm really afraid I'll disappear in them.

I don't think I've commented here often, but I wanted to let you know that I'm a regular reader and I really admire your style!

Cheers,
poet

BaronessVonVintage said...

oh, how GORGEOUS!! The color of your closet matches perfectly!

Anonymous said...

You wrote You was short, didn't you? Wolud You mind wrtinig me how tall are You? I was fully convinced that you are tall- something about 170-175 cm. I am 160 cm tall, I'm really short because I can't wear many things, which are nice. You look in this maxi dress very well, it's suits You :)

Daisy said...

Very pretty!

FoofandFaff said...

Love your dress, the fabric is great - I just cant wear maxi's for the opposite reason, I'm so tall they look too short on me! :)

Trixi said...

That dress is made for you. You look amazing.

Amy said...

That is a wonderful dress, the print, those RUFFLES are just lovely. I feel pretty much the same about maxi dresses, and you found one that is perfect for you!

Leah said...

Hi, I’ve just post on my blog an article with my favorite outfits for January, you’re in, if you don’t want I can deleted the picture and off course I’ve linked to your blog. Thanks Leah.

http://hapiness-love-music.blogspot.com

The Stylista said...

Nice!

The Stylista said...

nice!:)

www.fiona-wang.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...