Wednesday, 26 January 2011

my new bike

bike a

Honestly. I wanted this post to be a bit different. I would be out somewhere lovely, somewhere green, maybe on one of the many beautiful bike paths we have in Melbourne, with beautiful scenery and beautiful weather to match. Hell, maybe I would actually be riding my bike! But everything – everything – has conspired against any bike riding opportunities lately, and so to try to shake that off I decided to go ahead and take pictures of me and my lovely new bike in my mid-transformation back yard.

bike b

This is in fact my old bike. The old black one that has been on here before. I loved that bike – she's an old Raleigh, made of steel (or lead, possibly – I've pushed her up three flights of stairs, and that was hard work!) and held together with rust. Matt black with a red trim, a dodgy crank and three gears that I completely ignored and kept in the second gear position. My thighs can be the gears! But alas, towards the end of last year, she went on one packed-in-the-boot-with-another-bike car ride too many, and was broken that bit too much. Several spokes snapped; the mud guard wrapped around the rear rim; the dodgy crank gave up the ghost completely... I could not ride my bicycle!

bike d

bike f

bike g

Feeling responsible (and rightfully so, frankly, hehe) my Mr found an amazing bike guy who fixes up vintage bikes in Melbourne. I wanted to keep as much of the original bike as I could, and source second hand parts where possible – and he does this! Now my bike is cream (I miss the black, but I couldn't keep it on such a different beast) and really very awesome. There is a nice little pump fitted to the frame (which my friend needed on one of our first outings – very useful!) and – much to Mr's outrage – it makes a louder buzzy-whirry noise than even his mega fancy bike. Apparently this noise is a good thing. I've no idea why, but there it is. Whatever its benefit, I now love my ride!

bike e

bike c

Now I just need to get out on her more... and take those bucolic pictures!

bike h

1940s bolero
1950s dress
1970s shoes

26 comments:

Q's Daydream said...

I love it!
Your outfit is adorable too :o)

Erin Smith said...

I really admire your resolve in keeping as much of the old bike as you can. It's worth it! Looks amazing!
Your hair is also adorable in these pictures, i might add :)
xErin

anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

Yoshi said...

Hopefully you get to go out riding soon, then! But these pictures look great. I like the new colour of your bicycle too! The bell is especially cute.

Ruth said...

oh so lovely!

Lady Cherry said...

Such a pretty bike! I also love your dress and shoes, great colour combination.

Jennyboo said...

Beautiful! the dress is the perfect color. And that bike is quite adorable as well. xoxo

Elina said...

I love your aqua dress, the fact there's somebody specialized in healing vintage bikes - and the general idea of biking. Here's -12c and half a meter of snow so it will take a while before we take our bikes out!

angelaseeangelablog said...

Ohhh it's a beautiful colour! Loving your very Bette bangs ALSO.

XXASAB
http://angelaseeangelablog.wordpress.com/

VildesVerden said...

Love your outfit!

Mrs. McAwesome said...

Nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award - http://themcawesomes.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/stylish-blogger-award/

Clare said...

your clothes are gorgeous! and the bike is pretty fab too :) makes me wish i rode one!

Tilly said...

Aww I'm sorry about your poor old bike! You should have thrown it a bike funeral or something he he. Your new one is so cute though :)

You look so beautiful here too!xxx

Helen Scott said...

It inspires me to get a another bike myself. Mine was blue and finally succumbed to rust...I miss it...I'm going to have to look into it now!

laura said...

Your bike looks adorable! The cream color suits your style!

Pexina said...

Nice! :D

Anniina said...

What a lovely bike!! And the colours in your outfit look so great together.

katrina said...

thats so funny, yes ive also heard a buzzing sound on a bike is a good thing! My 5 year old son told me that! What a cute bike, i want to get my daughter a bike like that! By the way im from Traralgon in Gippsland. Love your blog!!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

This is a very pretty outfit. I love the colors in it.

Jaco said...

Adorable bike! I've always wanted a vintage bike and repaint it mint with leather seats. :) Maybe someday right?
Love and Turtledoves,
Jacqueline

MarieBayArea said...

great bike. i really appreciate the shot with the red sandals and the creamy white bike. you look so pretty in these photos. gotta heart a lass with such a beautiful smile. love the pastel colors on you too.

Chloe said...

You have won a blog award...from me! For more details check out the link. Your blog is amazing, I love it!! :-D

Love Chloe xx

http://abrushwithcolour.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-won-blog-award-d.html

Fran said...

Gorgeous bike, it looks beautiful cream.

xxFran

www.alittlevintagestory.blogspot.com

FoofandFaff said...

Excellent bike - I have my grans old Raleigh bike, they must be built to last! Cant really ride where I live now which is a bit rubbish. Love your outfit too :)

city girl rides said...

beautiful bike makeover! every little detailed work is just flawless. congrats and hopefully you'll get to riding more and using those gears!

Daydream Lily said...

oh its so pretty, the bike fixer guy has done a great job.

Merowyn said...

This bike is stunning!!! I love the basket, now all you need to do is fill it with flowers a baguette and picnic goodies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...