Friday, 1 April 2011

blue lace dress, autumn evening light

blladr o

On Tuesday we had the most beautiful day – warm and sunshiny and really quite summery, if summery was a good thing, of course. It started off freezing, though, and I was up very early for work wearing layers of winter things and my big winter coat! This later gave way – it had to! – to summer dresses and sandals. While I wonder if saying so could have me proven wrong, I'll do it anyway: I think this was the last really hot day we'll have before the cold weather settles in, settles down and stays put, until next spring. To celebrate, I went for untrammelled girly-ness, wearing a dress with lace and trims and flounce – and sandals without socks! I love the socks and sandals (and tights and sandals/open toe shoes) look and have worn it for years, and love that it has become such a trend. Apart from liking how it looks, I like how it feels; shoes usually rub! I have a couple of pairs that don't rub, though, and these are one of them. I'd like to take this opportunity to show that there is isn't anything hidden beneath the socks or tights that almost always cover my sun-starved tootsies.

blladr s

blladr a

blladr c

blladr h

The late afternoon-early evening light was especially beautiful, in a way that only the early Autumn here can be. The sun is now so much lower in the sky, and, true to cliche, everything really was bathed in golden light. It felt warm like summer, but flowers had bloomed and fallen, and now curled up, tinged with brown. It feels so special when it is like this, and I tried my best to capture it on camera, elusive as it is. I wonder if I ever could do this? I was heading of for dinner at my mother-in-law's, and as we drove across town the light kept intensifying – it was all I could do to not insist we get out of the car to take more photos. We went along the Yarra at a particularly golden time. I think I might start taking pictures from the car, and slap loads of slightly blurry who-can-tell-whats on here, framed with the windscreen and the wingy mirror. Or maybe I won't ;)

blladr j

blladr i

blladr k

blladr e

I think this might just be the closest I can get to a candid pic of myself, when I am taking my own picture with the timer and tripod… I was playing to PJ Harvey's Let England Shake, and, having pressed the shutter and stood in the spot I hoped was in focus, I tuned out the beep-beep of the camera and was left standing, listening. It really is an amazing album. The best I have heard for years. It also really suited the afternoon and the light and the magic. I feel the need to watch Wickerman again this weekend! Feel the heathen goodness…

blladr l

blladr m

blladr f

Oh, yes; I should add that I have been getting by on around 3 hours of sleep a night, and by this Tuesday I was feeling completely hollow, like having a hangover without the good times before it. I am wearing my supposedly awesome concealer – $90 at the shiny department stores, $30 at the bargain chemists with the alarmingly bright photocopier A4 print out ads – and, while it's good, it's not magical. I look like a racoon! Just without their fluffy stealthy cuteness x

blladr b

blue 1970s sun dress :: thrifted
wooden platform sandals :: sportsgirl, 2008 (& this leads me to another post... soon)

blladr r

blladr q

blladr d

blladr n

46 comments:

retrostyl said...

You look amazing!

BaronessVonVintage said...

these photos (and YOU) are so stunningly gorgeous. Ethereal, magical. Really special!

esme and the lane way said...

thanks very much! It was the afternoon, ethereal is the perfect word! x

The Veda House said...

That blue dress is amazing. I'm always so envious of your dress collection.

Rianna said...

What Retrostyl said!!

Vintage Hippo said...

The first and last pictures are so amazing! I literally said out loud, oh my gosh! when I saw them. You are magnificent at taking pictures :) Lovely dress too

rosana said...

Hi,who take your pictures? Gorgeous! I'm from Brazil.

Esz said...

I love the light here in Melbourne too - and all of Australia. The other day I happened to glance out my window (at work) and saw the sun streaming in from under some heavy cloud.
That's probably one of my favourite times - and yes it does only happen in autumn. I wish I could capture it somehow too. I've always wanted to paint that kind of light but never got very far with landscapes...and they really must be done in proper oils, not digitally like everything I do lately.

I think you've captured that moment so well in your first, second and last pic.

Cute dress too and I really want some shoes that are similar.

Erin said...

This dress is incredible, not to mention the sandals.
But i have to mention that your freckles are beautiful :)

I really admire the way you've captured the light in these pictures. And the way you described it, it comes across so lovely :) You truly have a talent behind the lens (and in front of it!)
xErin

anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

I'm a fellow Melburnian and I vote Tuesday the most magical day (weather-wise) of the year. Your photos have captured that gorgeous autumnal light perfectly.

Lightning Heart said...

oh wow, you look stunning!

Jo said...

Gorgeous! I love the baby blue + lace sleeves! Love!

x

www.lostinthehaze.com

katiepie said...

Can I ask please what blush you have used here? It looks fab!

Blithely Unaware said...

You look so peaceful and beautiful in these photos.

june said...

Such a wonderful dress and beautiful pics!! Great ispiration: here in Venice the spring's just arrived.
Ciao,
June

Fat Aus said...

these photos are gorgeous! i love your shoes. you don't look tired at all but if you're looking for a good concealer, i've been really liking smashbox's concealer at the moment.

Annuschka said...

so romantic :)

Hannah said...

You are very beautiful, and the dress is so sweet.

Ally,The Vintage Valley said...

wow you look so beautiful, i love your dress x

SoulDélice said...

Magic!!!
This dress absolutely suits you!
Have a nice day!

Lexy Mademyday said...

I like the dress but what's really unbelievable is your skin, you look like an angel!

Sher said...

Your hair is getting so long, very mermaid-ish hair. I love it:)

xx

The Attic People said...

Such a pretty dress and photography :)
http://theatticpeoplevintage.blogspot.com/

The Diva's Polish said...

Outstanding and beautiful, as always...

Louder than Silence said...

Such a gorgeous dress, really loving your style! Sally x

Colourful Buttons said...

Lovely dress and shoes! Love them!

Cheers,
Kaelyn
http://colourfulbuttons.blogspot.com/

sueper said...

pretty - kinda sexy cause it is see-through and yet not!

Charlie, Feminine Bravery said...

AMAZING photos! The dress is so sexy yet cute at the same time, and the lipstick is perfect with it! Love the ring, didn't know you were engaged. Or maybe I did but forgot about it... o.O How lovely!

Q's Daydream said...

Truly stunning!

Velvet said...

This photoshoot is perfect! I really like it. You look gorgeous despite the lack of sleeping.

Your dress is beautiful too. You look like a fairy in it.

Have a great weekend.

aino said...

you are so beautiful! :)

Girl in Oslo. said...

Hi Girl:)

Happy Friday, and I loved this post:)

Great work...

Have a nice Friday.

Dakota C. Walsh said...

Everything here is so gorgeous... what lovely lovely golden light!
I *adore* that dress, it's my favorite color, and who can resist a flouncy hem!

Lilaanaa said...

cute

sarah louise said...

You look lovely and your photographs are stunning! That sounds like a fantastic day (and I love the new PJ Harvey album, too).

Sarah Louise
http://www.tzipporit.blogspot.com

FoofandFaff said...

Love your dress, its soo pretty, especially with the gorgeous shoes :)

Saving Capulet said...

the last two shots are just overwhelmingly beautiful!! :>

Sleekit said...

Such a cute little dress, fits like a glove on you. I love Melbourne this time of year, my favourite season for sure

Sleekit x

Pansy Lane said...

OH I love this dress, it's so pretty and doll-like!

Rebeccak said...

gorgeous shots! And such a wonderful dress.

Feeona said...

You are gorgeous! Lovely dress too (-:

mari b. said...

this dress is beautiful - love it in those moody pictures!

xx m.


themerrimari.blogspot.com

Penicillium said...

On the last photograph you seem like floating !

eva v said...

absolutely beautiful dress, it really suits you and the weather :)

MarieBayArea said...

You remind of Alice in Wonderland in that pretty light blue frock. The lighting in these photos is so dreamy.

lou said...

What a georgous blue dress!
And I really love the atmosphere on this serie of pictures, especially the last one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...