Tuesday, 24 May 2011

vintage skirts and cupcakes

cupcake dots h

Today I wore my 1940s chocolate wool skirt with a pale pink cardigan with faux pearls, terracotta tights and my conker shoes. I do love this skirt, with its woven details in terracotta, pale pink, pale yellow, pale blue and cyan. Writing it out like that makes it sound really loud, but they are so small that its not at all! I do like how it means the skirt matches a whole range of colours. Practicality as well as beauty in clothes, right?! ;)

cupcake dots l

The skirt also has little button holes, for buttoned braces. Although I got the skirt NOS – complete with the lovely origianl 40s swing tags, yay – there were no braces (suspenders!) with it. Of course, braces tend to have button holes, and are attached to buttons actually on the skirt/trousers, so I think finding button-y braces might be a bit of tall order! I think I will get a nice slim terrcotta grosgrain ribbon to weave through as a belt instead. And that is the last time I type terracotta in this post!

cupcake dots m

cupcake dots n

cupcake dots e

Whilst at the supermarket today, I spotted (ha) these polka dot (see?) cup cake holders. And then I saw these pastel coloured silicon cupcake 'tins'. And then, of course, a baking session ensued! Well, what would a vintage style blog be without cupcakes?! I actually made savoury muffins for the silicon thingies inaugural bake, which turned out really well. So well, in fact, that I made a post about them – but that is for next time. This post is dedicated to some comedy posturing from me :)

cupcake dots g

cupcake dots i

This outfit was perfect for a freezing cold, rainy morning, when I had to be in the car and on the road by 7.15am. Ouch! So very early. Getting up in the dark is not much fun, but warm comfortable clothes really do help. I am wearing a silk (vintage YSL, no less) cami and an anti static nylon half slip (yes, they not only exist but they really do work, even under the most electric polyesters!) underneath the wools and acrylics, and with my pale pink trench coat over the top, facing the wintery weather at 6.30am was made that little bit easier!

cupcake dots k

27 comments:

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

The skirt is so beautiful! <3 And I simply adore the burnt orange shade of tights you are wearing!

x
www.lostinthehaze.com

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

Love the look! The skirt is amazing <3

xx
http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

Esz said...

Proof you can be comfortable and glamorous! That skirts is wonderful - and a really great length.

Where did you find your half slip (if it's not vintage)? I'm in need of one quite similar.

I'm loving how your house is taking shape in the background there. :-D

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Beautiful! I love your sweater! You always look stunning...

Dial V for Vintage said...

An anti static nylon half slip? Gosh, I need one of those too! Where can you buy that? My synthetic skirts/dresses are always static, it's so annoying!

Rosemary said...

In your defense terracotta is a very good word. :)

Elina said...

Love the outfit!

Dakota said...

Beautiful look!! And cupcakes + '40s wool skirts... what a lovely combination!

Blithely Unaware said...

Yayayayayayaya
you have Kale on your table!!!

I am deeply in lust with greens at the momo, have them all over our casa.

Sweet Harvest Moon said...

Lovely!

http://sweetharvestmoon.blogspot.com

Lainie said...

That is a GREAT skirt!! I love it. And as much as I like your twirly dresses and skirts, that pencil skirt really suits you!

Prutha said...

hunny...u have some serious style!!! i love the outfit!!1 and the red stockings with the tight pencil is just perfect...

http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

follow if u like what u see?

xoxo

Erica Louise said...

A great look. You've inspired me to pull out my red tights for winter. x

Rianna said...

HOT. xo

MissMarbelle said...

I SO need an anti-static slip!!

ursula said...

This outfit is super cute! I love wintery clothes. I think I like them better than summery ones.
Your house is lovely, too!

Pansy Lane said...

GASP. That skirt looks gorgeous on you!

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

I love your use of colour. I'll come and say hello tomorrow if I spot you. :)

Erin said...

Such poise, you're so pretty!
xErin

anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

You have great style. I love your blog! Please check out mine and follow if you'd like :)

www.SimpleStyleSecrets.com

Pralinka said...

I love this outfit and your idea!

BTW, I'm in love with your blog and I wonder if we can follow each other..? what do you think ? even if no, I will be your follower <3

chocarome.blogspot.com

june said...

Your skirt is beautiful!
Ciao,
June

Feeona said...

Oh I love this outfit so much! Adorable! xo

toni said...

I love your outfit. It's so beautiful.
I was just wondering how you store all your clothes? I am trying to revamp my space and wondered if you had any good ideas or tips.
xxx

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Love the skirt - funny, on my monitor it looks like a purple-y blue colour. Beautiful nonetheless.

Ana said...

I absolutely love the sweater! Oh, the fine bead details in pearl on the soft pink... heavenly! And you put the whole ensemble together with such flair!

BacktoBraces said...

A skirt with brace buttons cannot go abandoned! This is a gorgeous 40's era skirt and would be fitting with a pair of button-on braces. Braces would keep the skirt high-waisted. I agree that braces may be difficult to find, but well worth the time spent! You can probably pick up a pair at a second-hand store or on eBay. A pair of brown, teal, or burgundy braces would match the skirt well. Or even a bright red pair with the red tights! Give it a try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...