Wednesday, 22 June 2011

winter pies

guappi h

I realised the other day that I am already looking forward to summer – which is ridiculous. We are only 3 weeks in to winter! I don't even like summer (here) that much; I love colder weather and so many of the things that come with it: hats, scarfs, gloves and coats. And food. To get myself back into enjoying winter, I thought making some pies might be in order...

guappi a

... so I made a beef and Guinness pie. I like it with veg on the side...

guappi b

... om nom nom.

guappi c

In fact, it was so yums that someone had seconds...

guappi d

... on nom nom.

guappi e

I'd got into the spirit of things, so I also made an apple pie...

guappi f

... on nom nom NOM!

And finally, completely not food related, here is how Babycat deals with winter. She's not plugged in (as it kind of looks like, at first glance!) but snuggled up on the set top box. And up there she is one happy cat.

guappi g


hollypop said...

gorgeous crockery!
i lovelovelove flakey pastry. even the kind on frozen pasties. hehe.
so good with tomato sauce. mm.

hehe @ babycat. cats are clever.

Andi B. Goode said...

Hahaha, it really DOES look like she is plugged in at first glance. That's brilliant.
-Andi x

Kathryn Hannan (nee. Mackenzie) said...

ooh your steak and guinness pie looks very tasty. It's not winter here but it is cold today - that's a good enough reason to eat pie, right?!

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

Ooohhh... love your crockery.

Hi Baby Cat *pat, pat, pat*

Velvet said...

Delicious! I'd like you to share the recipe (pleeeease haha).

Have a nice day.

Blithely Unaware said...



That pie looks delicious! There is nothing quite like pie on winter, blue days.

Camilla said...

Nhammmmmmm! This looks delicious!
And I'm starving!!! Oh, Lord!!

Loved the pic of your cat! :)


Anonymous said...

Hi! I thought you might be interested in an observation I made. On the modcloth website they're selling these shoes,, that look just like your Melissa boots complete with the same bow that you have! Here's your pic:
See..don't they look similar? Since I can't get my hands on a pair of Ashantis (the black isn't available on the Melissa website anymore), I bought a pair of these knock-offs from the modcloth site. They run terribly small so I've had to go up a full size (in case any of your readers want to do the size). I'm an 8.5 and a 9 was too small. I'm now trying a 10. Hopefully this size will work and I can start rocking them like you do. All the best!


Bethany Heron said...

Your blog is amazing, I can't believe I've only just discovered it! Following :) x

esme and the lane way said...

‪hollypop‬ thanks! I just got the plates recently. I only ever sea to find saucers, if anything! And yes, flaky pastry is just yummy… in fact I just pastry full stop :)

‪hollypop‬ if it made her warmer she'd plug herself in in a flash! Oh, actually I dunno about my choice of words there hehehe :D

‪Kathryn Hannan (nee. Mackenzie)‬ that is definitely a great reason to eat pie :D

‪Miss Tallulah Porkchop‬ thanks! Babycat says purr purr purr to your pats :)

‪Velvet‬ I will, the next time I make it (hopefully in a week or two) and if I can remember how to make it taste so nice… I can be quite an inconsistent cook.

‪Blithely Unaware‬ hehehehe Yes it's true. The pie did cheer me up immensely! In fact I was waltzing about after cooking it like a crazy lady! :D

‪Camilla‬ thanks!

Monique: wow, thanks for the link – they are SO familiar! I like the Modcloth ones too. Good luck with the sizes :) I might just post about this and put your sizing info in it, as they really must run small!

‪Bethany Heron‬ : thanks very much! Welcome! :)

Ashley said...

The apple pie looks so delicious! I've been craving apple pie A LOT lately:) And your cat is such an adorable fur ball. xx

eat my shorts said...

Our cat used to perch herself on top if the VCR (back in the day). Probably the warmest part of the house!

Erica Louise said...

awww cat on tv! Love

Amber said...

You might like to try making/ eating a tourtiere.
Its a ground pork pie originating from the Quebec area, where my mom's family is from. Just be sure to season it a little more than most recipes indicate or it will come out a bit bland. I like to put my veggies cut-up inside-top layer of the pie. So good and hearty on a cold winter's day here in rainy western Washington!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...