Monday, 19 September 2011

black bows, alterations, sparkly cardigans and cats

wednesday face f


This is from last Wednesday, when me and Joyce went to the Mad Men exhibition at Chadstone. I am wearing a vintage blouse, a sparkly cardigan and a winter dress that I finally got round to altering… just in time for spring. Hmm. The black bow, from Asos, made this outfit, which I like to think of as 1940's-boarding-school-girl-runs-away-to-the-400-club. In fact, I think I want to come up with absurd names for outfits more often!

But the black bows press studs don't work too well, so by lunchtime it had to live in my handbag. I guess that's Asos for you. It's an easy fix, but I would prefer it if the things I buy new actually worked. Too much to ask for? Perhaps. Anyway, without the bow the outfit lost its panache. The bow itself is pretty good though, and I like the little beads on the ends.

So, just what did I need to do to this dress? If we get a day cold enough for me to wear it I can tell you… and actually show you this dress, too. It's a great dress, and would look even better if I had red hair!

This is before the bow fail. Here I am getting ready, with the assistance/disinterest (I think we know which one is applicable here) of Babycat. Don't you love how cats love to help us out? Please forgive the old photos in the mirror trick; sometimes it is such a faff to set up a tripod when you are in a hurry. Of course, the payback from the photo gods is that you can't pick up details, like the front roll in your hair. Well played, photo gods! But picking up details in black hair is pretty damn hard at the best of times. Oh how I wish I could go red..!

wednesday face e

wednesday face c

wednesday face b

wednesday face h

wednesday face i

21 comments:

Dustjacket Attic said...

Gorgeous, love your make-up too!
xxx DJ

amy said...

meow. what a babe.
firstly, your hair is enchanting.
secondly, that outfit! so pretty.

like a porcelain doll x


hugs (^.^) hope to hear from you *
amyflyingakite.com

Emma said...

Hold on, why can't you go red? Why don't you! Porcelain skin and blue eyes with red hair, what a beautiful combination, like Christina Hendricks. Shame about that bow, you know I've never purchased something new that doesn't need post production repairs. Losing loose buttons is the worst. My vintage clothes are the best kept I would say! I love love love the way you blend old fashioned school girl details with vintage cuts and ultra modern shoes, which pair did you wear here?

Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage said...

Noooo don't go red!! It looks lovely black! (and the bow is rather cute - can't wait to see the whole outfit!)
Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage

Sarah said...

gah, I am glad I'm not the onloy one who is frustrated after forking for something new (and often a little more costly) and then finding it's a little useless/broken/poorly-constructed.
You do look lovely though! I'm a bit too much of a sewing novice to attempt real alterations, but I'm learning. :)
xox
p.s. cute outfit name! I name mine also, depending on the mood. :P x

JoolzGirl said...

Love the bow! Can you sew it onto a broochpin instead?

Preziosa said...

Love it!

Vivian said...

I thnik you would look great in red hair, maybe not in as bright as I posted about, but something copper. I was pretty sure I will be missing my black hair, but Im not, so far :)

Jen said...

I love this outfit - so cute :) The dress is lovely...may have to try to recreate this look myself!

cakesandshakes said...

That first photo of you is kick ass. Wish I had your camera skills!!

Cakes
http://www.cakesandshakes.wordpress.com

Girl living in Oslo said...

My camera goes everywhere i go:)
have a great week....
Bye

xStroutx said...

Why can't you go red? Although i have to say your hair is beautiful as is! Love the bow - very cute

LandGirl1980 said...

I love the out of focus of you and the fluff monster on the window seal. LOVE it.

Tasha said...

Ooh, annoying about the bow! I hate when things like that happen, most especially if they are new. But it did make for a lovely touch to your outfit!

shutters Atlanta, GA said...

Liked the bow, especially the beads.

sacramento said...

Cute, cute, cute.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hannah said...

You're so cute, love the bow shame it's a bit dodgy! x

Anielska Aniela... said...

just beautiful bow and you:]!

esme and the lane way said...

Emma: I'd love to go red but there is so much black hair dye on bleached ends that I need to get it done professionally – I'm not brave enough to slap all that bleach on t at home! My shoes were the same old black peeptoe with the ankle strap – I'm getting very boring with shoes! :D

Sarah: yay, go team outfit naming! :D

JoolzGirl: I can sew new press studs on, so it's easy to fix. Just a little annoying, that's all! :)

xStroutx: I treid to dye it yesterday but the black just won't budge! Needs professional treatment :)

LandGirl1980: hha fluff monster, love it! That is exactly what she is. And this is her smaller coat already..! :D

Andi B. Goode said...

I think that's a very good name for this outfit! I only rarely make up names for outfits but it is fun. The bow definitely tops off this great outfit. =) Also, love the idea of 'photo gods!'.
-Andi x

security system Charlotte said...

Gorgeous...you are having a stunning look with those emulating looks. Like that bow scarf with beads.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...