Tuesday, 27 September 2011

vintage dress and matching jacket, with buttons

vintage forties dress

Thanks so much for the lovely comments on my last post – and I almost didn't put it up! Only because they are pictures in my bathroom. The light in there comes from the windows near the ceiling, which is very high in there, and that's why my roots are a-glowin'. That and the fact that yes, I need to get mah hair did! If anyone wanted to make mine red for me I'd say yes in a flash. It's a big job...

I have been having a lot of fun lately with what I 'spose are 1940's hair dos, not that I am trying to be era specific or anything like that. I am just enjoying having big hair, rolled up high! In fact my hair was so high today it was getting bashed around on the roof of my car... oh dear. Still, it survived.

And I would LOVE to make a video on how to do this hair style! I am planning on doing a no-talking one, with music; we don't need me talking all the time! I've seen quite a few videos like this and love them, and in this case it would be perfect. I love the videos that the wonderful Elsa Billgren does. Check out her makeup and hair ones. Great, aren't they! Speaking of makeup, I have been sitting on a makeup idea for a while, and think it's time to hatch it! Now I'm committed, I guess I should say watch this space..! ;) I'll give you a clue: it is about vintage makeup styles. I want you to join in. I think it will be fun!

vintage forties dress c

AnyHOO. This is me last on Saturday. I got up really late, ironed a 1940s floral dress, decided it was too cold for it, and wore this 1940s/early 1950s one instead. It is new (to me), so this is the first time I got to wear it. I love it – those buttons down the back of the jacket make me so happy! Yep, buttons on jackets can do that..! I love small details.

vintage forties dress d

(It's funny how brown can be such an overlooked colour when it comes to dresses. I think brown can look dull on the hanger/in a picture, but it's a great colour to wear. Anyway, chocolate is brown, and chocolate is nice! Good logic, right? I often find myself ignoring black clothes; they either look boring on screen (because I can't see the details) and I assume that anything old and black is, in fact, going to be old and washed-out-dark-grey. I hate washed out black. It makes me sad. But I find brown really flattering (in fact, it looks great on lots of colourings) and it is a good basic colour too. I am looking for some turquoise, green and blue bracelets that will look great with all sorts of colours, including brown.)

I bought this dress knowing that the white peter pan collar (I know, I know, I am ADDICTED) wasn't quite pristine. When it comes to fabrics such as cotton I am pretty fearless of stains, as a good soak in Napisan lifts almost anything. Almost. It can also make things disappear for a bit, only to return even darker when you next wash it. As I'd soaked this and then hand washed it in regular washing powder (I have a thing about my clothes always smelling laundry fresh) (no, really, I sniff them to be sure)(yes, it's terrible for vintage clothes, but so it goes) I found this to be the case for me. Still, it is a lot better than it was! Almost perfect. The other problem with soaking can be that colours run. This dress was colour fast for the first few hours, but then I noticed some of the reds from the brown dye were seeping into the white collar. Boo. We shall now refer to the white collar as a soft ecru.

When I wore it, I knew I wanted to let down the hem, but I think it's always good to wear something first to make sure, and so I can decide how much. There was plenty of fabric up in this hem so I have now lowered it around 6 inches back to what looks like the original length, to a nice spot just below my knees.

vintage forties dress g

So, on Saturday Mr Esme and me went shopping for fancy dress costumes (I was Captain Brucebeard and he was Lady Pancetta – there might be photos) at the Savers in Brunswick. I hadn't been there for a while, and I was SHOCKED by the prices. Still, we got what we needed, and then I got what I wanted, too – a sugar hit in the form of two macaroons. I'd already squashed one of them on the short walk back to the car, so decided to have them both there and then. Nom.

vintage forties dress h

vintage forties dress e

And just after my lovely Loved one took my photo, he pointed out the name of the house we were next too..!

vintage forties dress f

vintage forties dress b

41 comments:

Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage said...

Oh lovely hairdo! I would like to know how (although my hair is farrr too short!) Also a laundry tip my mother in law gave me (we nick name her the laundry queen; she knows her fabric) She uses Sard wonder soap a lot, with a soft toothbrush and it lifts stains so much better than napisan - and it is area specific - you usually don't have to soak it. You look gorgeous as usual in this outfit too though!
Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage

ravishingretro said...

Such hair inspiration, and a lovely outfit!

Preziosa said...

Love the look!

june said...

The dress is so nice and with these shoes and that bag you look so elegant!
Ciao

SoOhCliché said...

Gorgeous! I am not a fan of brown (probably because it reminds me too much of the new clothes I'd get every fall to go back to school), but the way you wear it sure makes me change my mind :)

Sarah said...

:D Such a beautiful post! Your photos always look so professional! I'm on a bit of a 50's hair kick right now, but I'm desperate to roll (he he he) out the victory curls once more!
Also, this make-up project sounds exciting, can't wait! xo

Helen said...

I do love brown clothes and I don't have enough. I've got a lovely brown dress folded up somewhere which I need to find! Yours is lovely, especially with the big hair!

Miss Emmi said...

Damn girl, that hair is uh-MAZING. You look fab! And the dress is so lovely - I love how the fabric print is actually a little modern when the cut is so classic.

Esz said...

Did you get the macarons from the little place next to Savers??? They are really good there!

Yes, Savers prices are crazy! Thankfully their fabric is still cheap. Must get there soon - it's hard now I don't work on that side of town.

As for brown - it does look great on most colourings - and it looks fantastic on you! I used to wear it a lot but have cut it out of my wardrobe as I prefer to accessorise/match things with black. And while lots of people look great in black and brown (like you!!), I can't do it myself. Wa wah waaah ;-P

Sher said...

How lovely, so much gorgeousness in one post!!

LandGirl1980 said...

Lovely jubbly as always :)

Aliya said...

Oh what a beautiful dress! I LOVE the colour! And your hair is gorgeous, like always!!

x Aliya
www.papermoonsandmacarons.blogspot.com

Schnuersenkelrolltreppentod said...

Your hair looks so good.

The Bootlace

Casey said...

I absolutely love how you arranged your hair! :) The dress is gorgeous too; I often overlook brown because it's not the most flattering color on me. But we have similar coloring, so I might give it a try again. ;)

Velvet said...

I've already seen Elsa's videos and I love them, so I do your hairdo tutorial.

Buttons in the back of dresses are really flattering.

LITTLE KESS said...

Aw, as if the house is called Esme, that's cute! The button down dress looks amazing and I have hair envy too. I must start doing more with my locks!
Laus

Crystal Lee said...

a perfect dress! What an incredible find. and I love your hair-do too.

Lindsay @ A Walk in the Closet said...

Oh, this dress is just too cute!

Anonymous said...

If you need inspiration for red hair, I saw these pictures the other day from the film set of "The Gangster Squad". Emma Stone looks great with red hair - and so would you! Good luck with whatever you decide.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/21/ryan-gosling-emma-stone-gangster-squad-photos_n_973546.html

Cheers,
Monique

Vivian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

Beautiful dress and those shoes are lovely, the higher the hair the closer to heaven hah x

Sophie said...

Yay for brown! I agree it can be an incredibly flattering colour to wear, often much more so than black - it has a richness and warmth that black doesn't have, especially if it's vintage. And teal/turquoise and brown is one of my favourite colour combinations!
Good luck deciding on hair colour - I love it dark, but I'm sure it will look stunning either way!

esme and the lane way said...

Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage: thanks! I am wary of scrubbing the fabric when it's wet, though – a teeny little patch appeared on this collar just from dabbing!

Sarah: haha thanks, these were taken by my Mr, whose skill seems to be getting me out of focus! ;D

Casey: yes, do! :D

Esz: yep, aren't their macaroons nice?! Savers clothes prices are out of control, so I am glad to hear the fabric prices are still good. Your sewing is SO SO SO amazing!!!!!!!

Vivian: it's funny how a sight change of shade makes all the difference! :)

Monique: perfect! That is the colour I want to go. Thanks!

Blanka said...

oh gosh!

How do you do it? You look so perfect. The outfit, your hairdo, your makeup...
everything is fantastic!

Mamushka Marie said...

loooove your dress! the collar is darling!

Marie said...

Wow - not only are you gorgeous with perfect skin but you have impeccable style! Definitely a follower :)


Dirty Pink Cardigan


:D

Rosalind said...

I'm with you on the subject of brown: it's very overlooked, but goes with so many other colours. This chocolate dress is as delicious as its colour namesake and your hair is immaculately perfect with it.
Oh and on colours running - yes, I have to wash everything to freshness too - washed a wonderful wool, milk chocolate coloured coat, and it streaked. It now looks like it's had a case of mild tie-dyeing!

Dial V for Vintage said...

That dress is heavenly! No other words :).

Braxton and Yancey said...

Oh, I could absolutely see you as a red head! I was one once, it's a lot of upkeep but I think you'll love it. Think about it some more!
Yancey

witch hare said...

Such gorgeous hair and an absolute babe of an outfit!
I'm definitely following!

witchhare.blogspot.com/

Llara is the Little Scribbler said...

Oh, you are picture perfect! Macaroon squisher or not. I've just found you via Penny Dreadful and am officially your newest follower. Oh I feel all shiny!

Sushi said...

Gorgeous look, you always look so flawless! x Sushi

amy said...

Yes, you you you for sure have my dream face + hair. So much beauty!

Love the dress too!1

hugs (^.^) hope to hear from you *
amyflyingakite.com

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

omg the house name - how sweet is that?!! I utterly adore this tiny wee jacket over the dress and I could never tire of your white peter pan collars - they frame your face beautifully:)). xo

Aya Smith said...

You never cease to amaze me by how gorgeous you are!!! LOVE the hair! :)

Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

wardrobeexperience said...

amazing dress and adorable hairdo!

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Love this dress - it's perfect for work in this cool Spring weather!

Michelle's Style File said...

Your hair looks amazing! ... so do the macaroons ; )

x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com
GIVEAWAY

EmmaB said...

Love your look!

Just found your blog...keep up the great work.

Andi B. Goode said...

That dress is gorgeous! I love jackets that button up the back. And it's lucky it was just hemmed and not cut!
-Andi x

Suzi Maynard said...

I just discovered your blog through Cecylia's blog post about Peony! Your style is so up my alley! Glad I found you.
Please feel free to check out my brand new blog-started Nov 2011.
suzimaynard.blogspot.com
Suzi x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...