Thursday, 24 November 2011

a new collection

cheap bangles b

I have recently started to wear jewellery. Or, more accurately, accessories. Bangles, to be precise.

I spent so long – the last few years, at least – not wearing much in the way of accessories that it has been a little strange to get back into them. I used to wear a few pieces on a regular basis. A couple of necklaces made by local Australian designers, occasionally a brooch. Simple, statement pieces that I enjoyed owning and wearing. They were worth the relative investment.

And now, over the past few months, I have really started to like wearing accessories (uh, is there a better word for this?!) again. I love the look of bold, colourful bangles and bracelets, especially when stacked. It is relevant in a vintage sense – for example, bakelite and wooden bangles were popular in the 1940s – and anyway, it just looks good! I'm not a vintage purist, and simply enjoy wearing things I like.

I especially love the coloured, carved bangles, but to be honest, I wasn't sure if it was a passing fad for me. For someone that likes maximalism in prints as well as plain colours – it's got to be time to lay the term colour blocking to rest, but you know what I mean – together, I prefer to dress fairly plainly. I like to attach things to my hair (flowers! bows! birds! yeah!) my hair, but fear an overload of bijoux (there we go, twee to the max) from head to toe. There can be too much of a good thing. And what if I bought all these pricey bangles and then left them gathering dust on my dressing table – or, even worse, hidden and forgotten in the back of a drawer?

So, I decided to try it out cheaply first. I bought some things from a cheaper chain to play with. Of course, I tried op shops too, but never found anything good – broken plastic beads weren't really what I was looking for. I also wanted to start with things I actually liked – somewhat important – and was really happy with what I found in local high street shops. Chunky bangles happen to be on trend (hilarious term) at the moment, so that helped my search greatly!

And now? I wear them almost everyday. I love them, and feel like something is missing when my wrist is bare. And while I still love my fast-fashion bracelets, I will be looking out for beautiful pieces, made, ideally, by local designers to wear, too.

9 comments:

Farrah Abigaelle said...

When it comes to accessories I'm the worst. They have tons and tons of bangles on the streets of New York. Congrats on 2000 followers by the way!
-Farrah
Farrah's Muse

Ahka Vintage said...

I have a few regular pieces as well - they never change - the only time they get taken off is when I go through airport security! I might try and get into 'accessories' a little too though - they pep up any outfit well.

Ahka Vintage Blog
Ahka Facebook
Ahka Tweets

Ahka Vintage said...

I have a few regular pieces as well - they never change - the only time they get taken off is when I go through airport security! I might try and get into 'accessories' a little too though - they pep up any outfit well.

Ahka Vintage Blog
Ahka Facebook
Ahka Tweets

Zane said...

wonderful

Charis said...

I lurve bangles but hardly wear them anymore... I'm a waitress so can't wear them at work. But I may occasionally remember to throw a bunch on for a night out!

labellehibou.com said...

I've had the same problem for quite some time. But seeing your beautiful bangles in the photo are inspiration enough for me to find a few great pieces that really pop like these. Thank you!

-Becky
www.labellehibou.com

Frankly My Dear said...

i'm always really unsure about the accessories i wear, but this post has given me the confidence to take a chance with a few more accessories. i love your comment, "i'm not a vintage purist." i like vintage styles but sometimes new clothes made in vintage styles are more practical, so i would say, im not a purist either. yay for accessories!

Clare said...

Those bangles are so pretty. I find I always play with jewellery when I wear it so I tend not to, but I would happily put up with my fidgeting to wear something handmade ;)

Jess said...

Its funny I never used to wear jewellery but recently I have been trying be a bit more experimental and its been so much fun! I know am making my own and that's awesome too, I think its lovely to wear things you feel passionate or sentimental about, and take the old and give it new memories:)

Jess x

http://pinkindielondon.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...