Friday, 20 January 2012

gingham, dresses, summer and vintage

gingham floral d

dress, silk scarf :: vintage
shoes :: betts

And then it was hot again... I am trying so hard to get into the hot weather we are having when we aren't having cold weather – it seems to be about three days on, three days off at the moment – but this year I am finding it really hard to acclimatise. Barely 30C can feel too hot. I guess that's what happens when you don't get a chance to really get used to it. So, to help my efforts along, I have been looking at pictures and listening to the music (very happy, really enjoying it) of Brigitte Bardot. I might even watch a film or two at some point. While I am still researching BB in the name of health and good living, I can report I have come so far with it I can spell Brigitte without getting it wrong. No more superfluous "g's" and unwanted "d's" from me!

When I think of BB (and now, of course, I don't need my new-found Brigitte-spelling knowledge) in summer, I think of gingham dresses. I wasn't always attracted to gingham and felt that it could be a bit of a picnic-blanket-meets-raggy-doll nightmare, but living in a hot country has really turned that around. I now have two gingham dresses, both full skirted, both early 1960's, and both with tiny squares. I think I am now ready to progress to larger squares. It's quite the journey. Watch me go..! I would like to add more gingham dresses to my wardrobe for this summer.

I have found a new spot to take outfit photos. Do you like it? It does mean standing on a box, but honestly, who hasn't stood on a box to take a photo of themselves? No? You should try it! I can personally recommend it.

gingham floral a

29 comments:

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

love the dress, love the shoes and love that you are standing on a box! xx

Q's Daydream said...

you're so cute!

Mabel said...

I LOVE BB, she's so gorgeous. I bought a bunch of wide headbands to be like her. I also adore your shoes! Hope that weather gets under control :)

Mabel
Mabel Time

Dakota said...

Oh, I love the pastel colors here so so much... gorgeous!! That frock is a dream; I am rather obsessed with gingham myself, it's such a lovely fabric in the summer.

Sophie said...

Have you seen (Le mepris)? BB film, very summery, set on Capri or Corsica or somewhere fabulous like that... I'm sure there must be gingham involved! Also, I want your hat from the previous post!! It's stunning! I have a couple of tilt hats - my favourite is a black velvety one shaped like a big bow, but I'm generally too shy to wear it. Maybe this year ;)

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

I am still saying "Oh, look at that fabulous hair" every time I see a new post.

Shoes look GREAT with that dress. Love mint.

My dream outfit at the moment consists of a big gingham pink and white dress with silver glittery pumps. Heaven.

Miss Bias said...

The weather has been all over the place here in Melbourne. Hot one minute, cold the next. It's hard to know what should be current in the wardrobe.

I love this pastel green colour on you. Those shoes are extraordinary and yes, the new spot to take photos is lovely.

Miss Bias : )
www.missbias.blogspot.com

Sue said...

such a lovely outfit! LOVE those shoes.

Rochelle New said...

Gorgeous dress!! Love the shoes too :)

Vivian said...

I like your shoes a lot..

Lauren Helen said...

Everytime I see your posts it makes me want to go out and buy a ton of dresses. Do you KNOW what you've done to my pocketbook?!
<3
You're very pretty, though!

Lightning Heart said...

i love the colours of the dress and shoes! so pretty!!

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

That dress is just perfect! Vintage and girly! x

http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

Britney said...

Oh my I love your shoes! They are so lovely! It a pretty spot too! It looks lovely and green. You look wonderful too.

Tegan McIntosh said...

oh what a gorgeous dress! I love the neckline, and anything full skirted is a winner.

also love the new place to take pictures, balancing on a box looks such fun!

Suzi Maynard said...

Very cute post. Loving the way you used a scarf as a belt! Did you see my post on scarves? I may have to try your idea of standing on a box one day!
Suzi x
For the Love of Audrey

Sweet Harvest Moon said...

Oh my, perfect summer dress, so pretty!

Alli said...

Love the outfit....so pretty. I'd be a bit scared standing on a box in a pair of heels that high tho! Aaaargh :/

Frankly My Dear said...

thats a lovely gingham dress. I've been looking around on etsy for a gingham dress but haven't found the right one in the right size yet. ah well, patience.

http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

Ashes Laree said...

Your weather's crazy too? I'm in austin, txeas in the US and we've been having about 3 days of cold 3 days of hot too. Except its supposed to be winter here and I was trying to enjoy it. sometimes we even get cold at night only to have it warm up to spring temptures!

Anyways, cut oufit for the weather and LOVE the shoes.

Emily said...

I love coming onto your blog at the moment, such lovely escapism from the cold we're having over here just now (even though you say it's "barely" 30 degrees. Barely?! That's a heatwave!). I wish I could be wearing such pretty cotton dresses right now, but have to stick with wool and clumpy boots :(

AngeliqueDama said...

Perfect dress, perfect wedges!

Esz said...

I love gingham too but don't actually own a gingham dress. Started making a yellow gingham shirt once but I gave up on it for the silly reason of accidentally putting the sleeve in the wrong way TWICE.

Do you love seersucker? Thats usually got the same pattern but I love the texture. :-)

Charis said...

As much as your dress is gorgeous it's your shoes that have me swooning!

Selina said...

♥ the dress and ♥ the idea of standing on a box, I'll definitely try it.

Rebeccak said...

Ahh gosh her style is amaaazzzing, although I think she might even make a paper bag look good.

The scarf-as-belt looks lovely!

vio said...

PERFECT!

*MICROPHONEHEART.

California Dreamin'[amywitt] said...

Omg you are soo beautiful and fabulous!
This outfit is so major!
xoxo
Amy

Nella Fragola said...

Stunning wedges!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...