Sunday, 26 February 2012

I have new hair!

laneway hair l

Last week I had the pleasure of having a day to myself and being pampered at The Laneway Salon in Brighton... to get a new hair colour! They very kindly fitted me in on a busy Wednesday and undertook the difficult task of making me a red head. I've wanted to do it for so long, so I'm chuffed!

laneway hair j
expert colourist and Senior Stylist Gabi

I have been a brunette for over two years now, dyeing my hair almost-black on a regular basis, so going so much lighter was definitely a job for the professionals. I felt very lucky to have expert colourist Gabi in charge. I have so much hair, it's coated in so much shop-bought hair dye... a big job indeed!

The whole team made me feel welcomed straight away. We spoke of what colour I wanted, and what could be achieved. I decided on a deep coppery shade.

laneway hair h
laneway hair c

My hair had three distinct colour bands: my natural colour at the roots, a darkish brown for the middle bits – where the damn almost-black dye, although permanent, had been washing out for months, and I don't know why! – and then pretty much black ends. I've gone from black to red before, and know how tricky it can be, so I admit, I was a little nervous..!

laneway hair i
laneway hair b
I love the beautiful period details and modern touches in the salon

laneway hair f
yep, two pairs of hands!

And I needn't have been. Gabi and the team did a fantastic job. I'm usually quite cavalier when it comes to hair bleach – I don't care if my hair feels like cotton wool; in fact, that helps with curling, so bleach away, I say! – but Gabi is very careful of hair condition. She also explained that too much lightening in one go would not only damage my hair, but make the red colour wash out more quickly, too. Boo. Do not want that. So, after a mild bleaching sesh, my hair still feels like... my familiar silky hair!

But, the best bit: what is my new colour?! Here it is. I love it!

laneway hair a

laneway hair k
left to right: Keely summers, Gabi Forster, darling salon owner Paula Kelso, Tahlea Bronsgeest, Mel Tosin

So, a HUGE thank you to all at The Laneway for making my red head dreams come true. You can also visit them at their Mordialloc Salon. If you are a facebooker – well, who isn't, apart from me, of course you are! – check them out here. And they have a great blog too – something I love to see visually based businesses do, and they do it well – so check that out for their news and inspiration. And I can't wait to start blogging with my new hair! x

37 comments:

vintageveggie said...

what a lovely color. i love dying hair. it's really an obsession. i've been doing pink tips for a while but i really want to take the plunge and dye it all pink!!

Rusty Hoe said...

From one faux red head to another I say WOW! Amazing colour choice and such a huge change.

Debs said...

Love red hair as much as i love red shoes. Can't wait to see a photo.

Dakota said...

Oh my, it looks lovely!!! Red is my very favorite hair color, though my own dark hair & complexion would never take to it. Can't wait to see it styled!

Valerie Enríquez said...

What a great change, it looks lovely so far! Luckily you had professional help, 7 years ago I had a friend help me go red. It all worked out but I was worried I'd lose my eyesight ha! Red hair is a lot of work, but so worth it :)

Blithely Unaware said...

Gorgeous colour lady!
I've never been a red head.
You must feel so liberated having a fresh new look.

Can't wait to see a photo of it all styled and gorgeous.

xox

Andi B. Goode said...

Such a pretty colour! Can't wait to see it with your face. Hehe.
-Andi x

Jo said...

Ohh, I love the new colour! <3 It will look oh-so perfect with your ruby lipstick!

x
Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

Sarah said...

Ooh! How exciting! Nothing like a change of dye to add some colour to your life :)
Ï've been wanting to go red for a while but I'm afriad I won't be able to pull it off, plus I
ve heard it's a lot of work. I'd love to hear about your experiences and the pros/cons of this shade :) xoxo

Kailey said...

Ooh from what I can see, it looks absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait for more <33

Lynn said...

Exciting! It looks like they did a great job with the color and the condition. Your hair does look very silky.

xoxo
Lynn

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

I think you look amazing with your new hair! Love it! X

http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

You tease! Show us the finished product!

Suzi Maynard said...

Lovely new hair sweetheart! Cannot wait to get mine done next Saturday!!!
Suzi x
For the Love of Audrey

Harlow Darling said...

You are going to look so gorgeous with red hair, it will look amazing with your beautiful blue eyes and alabaster complexion! Can't wait to see it :)

GinCherry said...

Can't wait to see your new hair :) I dyed my hair black more then 10 years and decided to become a redhead so I know how tricky it is :) I love my new hair colour but every time when I see my old photos I miss my black hair so I think that one day I will be a brunette again :)

bella said...

great colour! im glad it worked well xx

www.golden-silhouettes.blogspot.com

Michelle's Style File said...

ooo can't wait to see it all done up!

x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

The Countess said...

What a great hair colour!

Natalie Mulford said...

It looks amazing, can't wait to see more pictures!

Hannah said...

Oh it looks like it is gorgeous, I have been dyeing mine black for years argah will never be light again hah x

Ivy Black said...

It looks fabulous! I've recently done thesame thingmyself and got rid of my dark hair for a bit of red. Best thing I've done in ages. Enjoy!!xxx

IrishRedRose said...

Oooooh I can't wait to see it styled! It will set off your eye color and amazing complexion SO well! Congrats! And it really looks like they got the perfect red shade there, too....

Georgia said...

Beautiful!!! suits you even more than the dark :)
xxxx
georgia
xxxxxx

Miss Bias said...

Oh that is an exciting change. Looking forward to seeing your new hairstyles in RED!

Miss Bias : )

Alli said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the colour! Cant wait to see it styled....so exciting! :)

Meg Eileen Carroll said...

ooo! loving the sneak peek, can;t wait to see it when curled, I'm sure it will be lovely.

http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

Laurence said...

What big change! I tried to be red head some years ago but it's too much care so I choose to come back to my blonde orginal color....

LandGirl1980 said...

ooooh! what a lovely colour!

Tors said...

Oh, I'm so jealous, I've always wanted to be a redhead but my hair doesn't take dye well. I can't wait to see what it looks like styled, it looks like such a gorgeous colour! I bet you look amazing!

Charline said...

Welcome to the Red Head club ^^
Can't wait to see more pics!

Miss Maple said...

I like red-heads and I have red hair since many years cause I think it matches the warm autumn colours I like to wear. So I'm very curious to see your new hair with your dresses.

Lainie said...

I can't wait to see it! I LOVE being a redhead-I have reddish brown hair anyway but I add copper to it regularly. You are so gorgeous no matter what your hair color-you seem able to pull off everything!

Rochelle New said...

SO beautiful!! Can't wait to see more pictures! I have to say, red is my favorite hair color. :)

Teresa said...

I was watching the Oscars and the Marie Clair lady talking about the red carpet fashions was talking about how red heads are in. Then I pop on over to catch up on some blogs and here you are proving her right!

You look fabulous! Can't wait to see more of your lovely red hair. :)

Shaye said...

Looks great! I love Gabi's work, she has coloured my hair red a number of times and it always looks amazing!!!

Jamie Rose said...

The color looks so pretty! I used to keep my hair at a more coppery red a couple years back, but went to a more auburn color because it lasts longer on my hair. This is making me miss the copper red!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...