Friday, 29 June 2012

1950's lamps, 1950's dresses and brand new spaces

50s dress 50s lamp a
Hello hello! This post is happening far later than I had hoped, but I had an amazing afternoon sleep (take it when you can get it, I say) and only groggily came to about an hour ago. Earlier today I took some pics for a special post that is coming up soon – and wanted to say hello to you! So, hello, from me, next to my beautiful 1950s lamp (op shop good times!) and my beautiful 1950s dress (not op shopped, of course, but still good times, etsy good times) that I wore last Saturday but hid under my coat in a splendid moment of outfit post not-thinking-it-through-really. Here it is, properly!

I am so in love with 1950's cotton dresses at the moment. There is something about the soft material that just can't be replicated, and there is an abstractness (oh, that is a word then! Good good) to the prints that is so beautiful to me. I am slowly starting a bit of a collection of them, budget and availability allowing. I have a pinky-red, a blue and purple, and this green one. Peach next? Pale pink? Maybe yellow?!

I am sick and revolting at the moment and trying to imbibe as much vitamin C as I can (can you mainline the stuff?) because I really, really want – need! – to be better for the weekend. See how I am standing in what used to be the bedroom? Well, we have moved the bed into the study so.... we can start the floorboards! I am SO excited! SO many things get in the way of projects like this, and it feels amazing to see things start to happen. Now, I just have to make sure not to sneeze on them as I paint..! And, erm, on that lovely note, happy Friday and happy weekend!!! x

50s dress 50s lamp b

23 comments:

Jessica Cangiano said...

Charming 1950s cotton daywear/house dresses are a favourite of mine, too. I really adore the autumnal colour palette of this and how marvelously it compliments your red locks.

Wishing you a super speedy recovery & a terrific weekend,
♥ Jessica

Kelly-Marie said...

Happy weekend beautiful lady. The print on your dress is so lovely. Hope you feel better soon. xx

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

Such a gorgeous dress! x


http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

hiPop said...

I really like the contrast between vintage dress and edgy contemporary platforms!

http://hypemyhip.blogspot.com/

DaBi Vintage said...

amazing outfit!kisses from Italy

DaBi Vintage said...

amazing outfit!kisses from Italy

Esz said...

Very nice colour harmony in your outfit :-) Those russet colours suit you so well :-D

The Dainty Dolls House said...

That is one really beautiful dress and it goes so well with your hair, shoes and tights. I do hope you will feel better as soon as possible!! Have a wonderful weekend xx

LandGirl1980 said...

Looks GLORIOUS! As do the books next to you!

Kristian said...

Love how that dress fits you and its structure. Lovely indeed.

Mara said...

Such a gorgeous dress! It looks so perfect for fall. I hope that you feel better soon! Happy weekend!

Sarah Dee said...

You look so lovely! I also have a thing for cotton 50s dresses! They are so cozy but they still maintain the perfect shape!

♥Sarah♥
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

Charmaine said...

That dress is absolutely darling. I love it. I want it.

Debs said...

Hi Maryanne. Tried to email you the other day re: shoes. Not sure if you got it as I seem to be have a problem with my PC at the moment.
Debs

Meg Eileen Carroll said...

being sick must be no fun. yep! plenty of vitamin c and herbal tea works for me (thats rhymes!) lovely to see this dress again, it's just sooo gorgeous and works perfectly with the brown tights and shoes. get well soon!

http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

I do hope you are all better soon! I love the dress! It is absolutely perfect, and I am so glad you showed us the dress in all its glory! :) You must be excited over the floor for sure. I know how much I enjoy having things like that done. I guess it's just in a woman to want things like that done, but men -- well, I think they come around more slowly.

Feel better soon!
xoxo
Lynn

ourdailydress said...

50s are easily my favorite period- I loved a nipped waist and full skirt, hides all my sins! Go peach next- it would look marvelous with your hair.

Naomi at The Occasional Indulgence said...

Mmm I just love the '50s and you channel it so well!

Wild Tea Party said...

Have to agree - 50s cotton dresses are all round the best. My mother thinks I'm mad when I wear them in winter though. She thinks I'm going to catch a cold.

Hope you feel better soon.

Tegan @ Teganias Thoughts said...

Love the dress! Also love your lamp stand, such a good idea!! x

Sarah said...

I love this dress, hope you feel better soon!

Gaby - Hopeless Lingerie said...

Love these colours, and your setting!! xoxo

shipshapeandbristolfashion said...

That dress is beautiful - I have a Marks & Spencer 50s dress and it's so sinple but it fits like a dream and is soft, but strong.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...