Wednesday, 25 July 2012

blue birds, blue dresses, blue skies and breakfasts

red hair curls blue dress a blue dress print
Here in Melbourne, we are now past the half way mark for Winter. Only officially, of course – nature doesn't care for dates quite so much, but still, it got me thinking. We've actually had a really mild one this year. Warm, even. Especially on weekends. So many of my recent Saturdays have been dazzlingly sunny, and, if not warm, exactly, they haven't been at all cold.

All this must sound quite nice if you live in a colder climate, and, really, most people do! The thing is, I love winter, and I love winter dressing. I've realised that there are a good few things I want to enjoy wearing in the remaining colder months, and I'll need to put summer clothes to the back of my mind – and the back of my wardrobe. Or, you know, at least to the far end of the rail.

But look at just how sunshiny it is here at the moment! No wonder I keep reaching for my favourites of the last summer, my vintage 1950's and 1960's cotton dresses, full skirts and colourful prints. The light here is so amazing, and like no where else on earth.

And it was this bright, sunny light that determined my outfit on this Saturday just gone. I fell in love with the print of this dress, as I did with the bird dress in my last post, but this one is in my much-worn classic 1950's style, too. I just love the white and blues, and delicate detail. I know it is more for warmer weather, but I wore it with a cardigan and carried my coat with me. Australian winter..! The dress is from Asos, the tights are... Topshop? and the shoes are new and from Gorman.

Now that we have returned to more wintry temperatures in the past few days, I am making a conscious effort to wear truly wintry things. First, though, here is my unseasonal Saturday. As with many Melbournites, going out for breakfast has become a Saturday ritual for me and John. This time we headed out to Bluebird cafe in Collingwood. Great coffee, amazing eggs – and look, avocado! I was a happy lady.

blue bird blue dress b blue bird blue dress a.jpg blue bird blue dress c collingwood buildings bluebird collingwood melbourne cafe collingwood bakery melbourne bluebird cafe menu eggs salmon hollandaise melbourne cafe eggs avocado smash fitzroy warehouse leaf roof house fitzroy melbourne star glitter red hair pin curls

32 comments:

Lisa said...

This dress is so sweet! I am addicted to blue right now and it makes my heart sing!
(and the breakfast looks good too! yum!)

Tori Bonaventura said...

Such a beautiful outfit. Everything about it is perfect. Love that dress. :)
xo, Tori
http://daisiesandpixiedust.blogspot.com/

Tori Bonaventura said...

Such a beautiful outfit. Everything about it is perfect. Love that dress. :)
xo, Tori
http://daisiesandpixiedust.blogspot.com/

Libertad said...

That dress is simply perfect for any time of the year, is so beautiful <3
Oh, I wish it was winter here too, in Spain is really hot at the moment :(!

sarahluxx said...

What a lovely dress! And that breakfast looks so yummy haha. :)

Eva Wu said...

amazing dress. and i love the colour of your hair!

Fräulein.Perlon said...

i love the dress, its perfect with your haircolour :)

Q's Daydream said...

oh my, that dress is perfection! i think winters must be very similar here in TN. I love it though :) After living in chilly maine for way toooo long! haha
xo

kristin @ high socks said...

that dress is so pretty it makes me angry. HOW IS IT ALLOWED TO EXIST??

Claire said...

Yes, how good is the smashed avocado at Bluebird cafe!

Talisa said...

Wow the dress is amazing! You are soooo beautiful. I love your Blog so much. The pictures and your style are really special and amazingingly beautiful.

The Shoes are to die for.

Vintagesuburbia said...

Oh dear, you are making me nostalgic for Inner city Melbourne. I would do anything to taste a Melbourne latte right now. Sorry, France but French lattes just don't do it for me! (but the amazing wine well makes up for it!). Hope you are looking forward to seeing lots of great photos of your old home, London, hosting the Olympics very soon?! I don't have a tele so I will miss out. I will do an extra RPM class to compensate.

Lynn said...

Gorgeous! I love the blue! I have been so drawn to blue dresses lately. Solid blue, light blue, dark blue, blue prints. But it's hot and deep summer here -- nothing on earth like North Carolina humidity and high temps! You look as beautiful as always!

xxx
Lynn a.k.a.Dylan

Jessica Cangiano said...

A happy and very stylishly lovely lady, if I may add!

♥ Jessica

Amy said...

I can't not order the baked eggs at bluebird, it's getting a bit silly. They are too good.

Laura said...

Such a lovely dress and awesome hairpin! You look gorgeous. I'm looking forward to cooler weather - here in the States it's been unbearable...

thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

Two Happy Hearts said...

Pretty, pretty lady!! I love that blue dress on you. It compliments your lovely red locks so well!

Wild Tea Party said...

I have to agree, Sydney is also a lot milder than previous winters. I've barely touched my wool pencil skirts.

That dress is so cute, how did I miss that on asos? And are those Gorman shoes as comfortable as the Cecilia heels?

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

I LOVE that dress. Now, put a cardy on, you'll catch your death!

Tegan @ Teganias Thoughts said...

So beautiful, I love how you have edited the pictures

LandGirl1980 said...

Such a glorious print :)

Eleanor Kay said...

Your dress is so lovely! And I love your shoes!

Eleanor Kay

http://victoryrollsandroses.blogspot.com/

ConstantlyAlice said...

I have dress envy! It's perfect.

Olga said...

Love your beautiful dress!))

Sarah Dee said...

That dress is perfect! I'm about to hop over to asos to see if they're still selling it..

xoxo Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

esme and the laneway said...

‪Lisa‬ said...
Thanks so much! It is a very sweet dress -- almost too sweet?! But I do love it! :)



‪Tori Bonaventura‬ said...
Thanks! And how gorgeous is your pic?! Love the flower head band! :D






‪Libertad‬ said...
Thanks! Oh no, I understand about the heat. Hope it gets more bearable soon :)



‪sarahluxx‬ said...
Thanks! Oh it was SO yummy, wish I could eat that everyday!


‪Eva Wu‬ said...
thanks! I want to change it though..! Plans are afoot! :D



‪Fräulein.Perlon‬ said...
Thanks! Uh-oh, the hair colour..! See above ;)



‪Q's Daydream‬ said...
Thanks! Our winters are usually really, really cold – we have penguins! – but there are these mild days, too!



‪kristin @ high socks‬ said...
haha no don't say that! ;D ps I love your glasses!


‪Claire‬ said...
SO SO good OMG haha :D




‪Talisa‬ said...
Thanks you :)



‪Vintagesuburbia‬ said...
Gosh, I hope you are coping in France ;D haha! I think the Olympics is curing my homesickness temporarily hehe



‪Lynn‬ said...
Thanks! Me too. I don't have much blue but I really should..! Oh, I feel you with the heat thing, hope it backs off a bit soon for you! :D





‪Jessica Cangiano‬ said...
Thanks! I love your red hair and pink dress here! x



‪Amy‬ said...
Haha aren't they! Their coffee is SO good too. Two lattes everytime for me!




‪Laura‬ said...
Thanks! Ugh, I hate the summer heat too, hope it gets better there soon!





‪Two Happy Hearts‬ said...
Thanks, right back at ya! Love your hair and flowers :)



‪Wild Tea Party‬ said...
Thanks! I always seem to miss out on good asos stuff! This one sold out really fast, I was lucky to get in there! Oh, these shoes are about the most comfortable pair of shoes in the world. SO amazing! Light like air... highly recommend!



‪Miss Tallulah Porkchop‬ said...
Haha yes mum! ;D


‪Tegan @ Teganias Thoughts‬ said...
Thanks!



‪LandGirl1980‬ said...
I know! Almost too pretty for me but I just, I don't know, it just seemed right..!



‪Eleanor Kay‬ said...
Thanks! x



‪ConstantlyAlice‬ said...
Haha oh no! ;) Thanks though x


‪Olga‬ said...
Thank you!



‪Sarah Dee‬ said...
Thanks! I think they still have it (?), it's from Oasis so maybe check them out if asos don't have it x

fish in a desert said...

Such a wonderfull print!! Lovely!!!

XX

http://miramodernonosoybethditto.blogspot.com.es

Evelyn said...

Great outfit! Those tights look super cozy, I love the color.

http://eviestearoom.blogspot.com/

daria said...

this dress is most precious!

mahaila said...

I just love this dress too! The blue design is so lovely and ornate. Really lovely, you look so sweet. The meal looks lovely too:) I miss good Aussie coffees.

Jamie Rose said...

That dress is so beautiful and you look gorgeous in it! I love the pattern on the dress. So pretty.

ourdailydress said...

I love that dress! I've seen it on a few blogs but alas - according to ASOS the length is too short for my six footness. Curses!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...