Sunday, 29 July 2012

saturdays spent really, really well (Red Hill, Victoria)

suede rust shoes gorman molly wedge
Ok, so I am two weeks – two whole weeks – after the fact here, but they do say better late than never, don't they. And for good reason, too. Here is my Saturday from just over two weeks ago. No, I can't quite believe it's been that long either. But it was such a wonderful, beautiful day, so I am happy to share it with you, and to relive it in the process!

You may remember in this post that I mentioned we were going on a road trip. We had some family visiting form OS, and we all headed out to Red Hill in country Victoria for a lunch for the eight of us. I'd initially planned on wearing my much loved rust suede shoes, but the grey skies (and my lack of Scotch guard!) suggested that that might not be the best idea. So closed toe shoes it was!

Even if you are only in the car for a couple of hours, snacks are necessary. Coffee, of course, and then my personal road trip favourite – sushi!

We were lucky to have yet another beautifully sunny Melbourne winter's day, but it was actually pretty chilly. My early 1960's tweed coat was definitely needed over my vintage skirt and cardigan. As were my red mittens. I also had an inkling I'd want to go for a country walk at some point and bought along my trusty, comfy boots. John hates them. Or at least he does when I wear them with nice dresses. It's ok, I'm cool with that.

We met for lunch in the middle of a lush nowhere, at a place called Vines, and, true to our form, lunch was a four-houred affair. It is so nice when you arrive somewhere to see a table of glasses waiting to be filled for you (well, it is when you're not the designated driver! And I was happily co-piloting that day!) and some bubbles to begin with were most welcome. We followed this up with plenty of really nice things: oysters, dumplings, fish, steaks, risottos, cakes, and ice creams... yum.

After all that everyone agreed that a good walk was a good idea, and, as we were near Arthur's Seat, we headed off for a bit of a look. The sun was going down at this point, so we enjoyed a good trot through the beautiful woods in twilight, avoiding trees that apparently up and chase you (best fended off via the medium of dance, evidently), slid down kids' slides (weee!) and headed back to the weekend house for, erm, more food. Well, it is winter.

sushi bento box road trip lots of glasses my bubbles glass lipstickoysters wine red hill view oysters sullied flowers light little dumpling cheese beetroot meat john red wine me red wine drinking ice creams salad red hill red wine glass rosotto fish baby carrotts red hill smoke wood boots and vintage skirt melbourne view from arthurs seat me telescope arthurs seat me view arthurs seat trig tower arthurs seat yellow trees arthurs seat dark woods tree pines tree chases me in the bush blurry me arthurs seat melbourne trees prosciutto tea red hill victoria

31 comments:

Talisa said...

Incredibly beautiful pictures!You look stunning :)

Sparks In Spring said...

Good food plays an important role during winter, I just get hungry all the time! I miss spending time outdoor, especially with the warm noons melbourne has been offering lately!

kaarlijnx-x said...

beautiful photos and it looks delicious!

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

Love the jacket and boots. Have I seen them before?

Is that Mr Esme?

Bianca J said...

Such beautiful photographs! The food! The scenery! The outfit! It looks like you really captured the essence of a well spent day.

Ava said...

Exactly the kind of road trip that I love!

Trina44 said...

The food all looks so delicious.

Vickie said...

looks like an awesome lunch :)

love the photos, especially the pine needle one

Josefina said...

amazing photos, sounds like you have so much fun there! i love your coat also, almost hits me I kind of miss the winter since there's 34 degrees around here. :/ have a wonderful sunday dear!

Eva Wu said...

lovely pics!

Fräulein.Perlon said...

lovely, funny and yummy pictures.
now i'm hungry ^.^
in germany we have hot summer days and you wear gloves ;)

Jessica Cangiano said...

How very, completely beautiful. From the chic nibbles to your marvelous winter outfit, there is so much loveliness in this great post.

♥ Jessica

Kristian said...

Well, it certainly looks like a fun adventure!

Kelly-Marie said...

It looks and sounds like it was heavenly. Ha ha I love the tree sign, maybe someone had come acrosssome Lord Of The Rings tyep Ents. ;-) xx

Vintage Hippo said...

This looks like waaay too much fun!

Jennie said...

Looks like a wonderful day! Gorgeous outfit and that food looks delicious.

I'm just starting up my blog again and would love to meet some new faces. Please do stop by if you have the chance!

Jennie x

Stitches On The Radio

Teresa said...

Looks like a really well spent weekend! I love how wintery your photos look and the food looks like it was delicious.

Also. Boots with dresses are the best!

Kristina said...

wonderful shots, I love the Peninsula, especially Red Hill - the food looks amazing!!

Kami said...

oh! all of that looks wonderful! kami from thebluekazoo.blogspot.com

ourdailydress said...

Yuuuuuuuum. I want to eat everything you pictured. My actualy dinner is looking increasingly lame.

Tegan @ Teganias Thoughts said...

Wow, what beautiful pictures!

Eccentric Owl said...

What gorgeous pictures! This looks like the perfect winter day trip.

Anonymous said...

Hiya, it's gimmeguitars from twitter and instagram, I really do need a blog and or some sort of account to post from as I always want to comment but hate being anonymous! Have no idea where to start though. Anyway, glad to see you headed down to my neck of the woods, Red Hill is glorious. I live about 15-20 mins down the road in Mornington. I have always wanted the visit The Vines but haven't it around to it yet. There are so many lovely places to visit down here. We just had a vintage fair and farmers market that I visited last weekend in Red Hill, but to be honest it was fairl small. Most of the stall holders have stalls at Rosebud's vintage bazaar. There is also a lovely one at Tyabb. Would love to know of some other lovely places to visit for Vintage, I checked out a few places when I visited Fitzroy a couple of weekends ago too. Where else is good? I also *love* opshopping, can't get enough, always find something useful if it's not for me I find something for the kiddliwinks. Take care, Chris.

Agnes Deer said...

Gosh, all that yummy food made me so hungry!

Miss Maple said...

Hey! That are great pics. I love the ones where you are standing in front of the green grass in your colourful outfit. Hugs from Miss Maple

Sandra said...

Looks like an amazing fun, food filled road trip, the best kinds!!!

Miss Bias said...

A beautiful visual story of your adventures once again. Really lovely. Thanks for sharing :)

Miss Bias

La said...

Oh my, You are so beautiful!
I found your blog via instagram..I can't believe I didn't find it sooner. I love it!x

Claudia said...

My very good friend saw your skirt on one sheepish girl: The Blush List - . Upon looking at it she realized i sold one exactly like it. Your blog is amazing. And the skirt looks divine. Cheers!
Claudia thenunneryvintage

Claudia said...

My friend discovered a blog that hat a picture of you in it with a skirt from my shop. one sheepish girl: The Blush List - Vintage Inspired Amazing blog. Cheers
thenunneryvintage

FashioNatalie said...

The photo by the telescope is soooo lovely! I've just found you, and am enjoying reading your blog archive immensely. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...