Tuesday, 10 July 2012

vintage dresses, vintage hats, seamed tights and beaded cardigans – and my favourite place to shop for vintage in melbourne

dear gladys navy gold dots b rt
I am often asked where Melbourne’s best places to shop for vintage are, and so this post is perfect! I am going to tell you about one of my all time favourite shops. I have been going here for several years and just love it – and I think you will too.

I am talking about Dear Gladys, a great vintage shop in Northcote. It has long been on my recommended lists when people ask me where they should shop in Melbourne. They have a range of vintage and vintage style clothing and accessories, from the 1940’s all the way to now. The shop itself if so lovely and always a pleasure to visit – and it always smells really nice. Seriously, it does. Go see for yourself! The attention to detail, from the wallpaper to the displays, to the good lighting and music, make it a really nice place to spend time in.
It’s a really good place to shop, too, for other reasons. I love that vintage is environmentally a good option, as well as being beautifully designed and made. At Dear Gladys, all the profits go to Fitted For Work, an amazing not–for-profit organisation that helps disadvantaged women back into the workforce. So, not only do you get to shop for gorgeous things, you can help the environment and change a woman’s life. For once, buying really is good, all round!
Last week I picked out a few of my favourite pieces from both the bricks and mortar shop and the Dear Gladys online store, and played dress ups. You can see more goodies on their blog. Now, you must forgive my ill-face, because I had a terrible cold, and could barely get out of bed. The world stops for no one... and, of course, it’s winter here, and there was the most dramatic storm when I started shooting these, so it got very dark for a bit! But here it is. I especially love the white cardigan. It is so soft and warm and I didn’t want to take it off! Which is your favourite piece? Let me know in the comments!



dear gladys floral sundress d rt dear gladys floral sundress c rt dear gladys floral sundress b rt dear gladys floral sundress a rt dear gladys white cardigan a rt dear gladys white cardigan b rt dear gladys white cardigan c rt dear gladys white cardigan d rt dear gladys skirt b rt dear gladys skirt a rt dear gladys navy gold dots a rt dear gladys navy gold dots c rt dear gladys leaf dress b rt dear gladys leaf dress a rt dear gladys blue beret a rt dear gladys black veil hat c rt dear gladys black veil hat b rt dear gladys black cardigan b rt dear gladys black cardigan a rt dear gladys black cardigan c rt dear gladys black back seam tights rt

42 comments:

Q's Daydream said...

oh my goodness, you are just the cutest thing alive!
I really love the white day dress! Also, that white cardigan looks like winter perfection! xo

Sophie said...

Yep, I love Dear Gladys too!
So hard to choose a favourite item as they're all so lovely, but the one I wish I owned is the navy one with the scarf necklne.
I'm assuming you can change the scarf to suit your mood/outfit? What a great idea! Hope you feel better soon xx

Naomi at The Occasional Indulgence said...

I love that first dress, and that delicious cardigan!

Kelsi said...

You always look so pretty ! Love these dresses ! I just did a post of a 50's swimsuit. If you would like stop by my blog :)
Have a great day.
http://southerngloss.blogspot.com

-Kelsi

Meg Eileen Carroll said...

thank you thank you! I'm always wanting to find out where the best vintage in Melbourne is, so this post is just the best. I love the white floral print dress, and it goes perfectly with the red shoes. ANd I'm so glad Dear Gladys is online, because I'm not up in Melbourne that often. Yay!

http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

Marianne, you do not look sick! You look gorgeous! I love every single outfit, and that cardigan is amazing!! Hope you feel perfectly all better soon!

xoxo
Lynn

Harlow Darling said...

Wow!!!! I LOVE that white floral dress the most, but the navy dress is also lovely! Makes me want to go to Melbourne to check this shop out...!

ThisTornado said...

Save some for me, please darling! ;)
My favourite is the autumnal 50s day dress, you own that one, right?

Amanda M. said...

Without a doubt the navy blue dress is my favorite. I too have a cold, and I hope you feel better.

RuskinDays downunder said...

I love Dear Gladys too, but unfortunately haven't visited for quite a while. I've put a visit on my to-do list now!

Nika Chick said...

What a great things you've got! Everything is great, especially dark blue dress with polka dot collar. And black cardigan! And light hat!

You have amazing style feeeling. I would chose the same pieces.

Tegan @ Teganias Thoughts said...

So beautiful, I love the photo shoot. I think the navy blue dress is my favourite. So gorgeous.

Fräulein.Perlon said...

love the red shoes and the cardigan

Sarah said...

I wish I lived in Melbourne so I could visit this shop, maybe one day! Love the pieces you've picked out.

Sarah
{amongthedancers}

Benjamin said...

All of these clothes are great. I love the Navy dress with the polka dot scarf-like collar best though I think.

Ben
www.benjamintimmins.com

Debs said...

Hmm tough one. I'm torn between the Vivienne Westwood flats and the tan buckle ups, the bathroom and skincare range is to die for, and I just found the same Holly Hobbie lamp I used to own as a girl hahaha.

Sushi said...

So pretty! Love the white dress so much. Haha I wish I looked like this when I'm sick :p x Sushi

LandGirl1980 said...

I adore the shop name "Dear Gladys". And all your photos ROCK :)

Talisa said...

omg you are so adorable. You always have the most beautiful pieces and hair. I love your house as well.

Aloysia Adinda Nareswari said...

your photos and the outfits are stunning! i don't live in Melbourne, but when I checked Dear Gladys' website all the collections are awesome :)

http://dindaloysia.blogspot.com

Kimberley said...

Every dress is so gorgeous! But the winner is the white one! It's perfect in every way.

Alli said...

I wish I looked as amazing as you when I was sick!
Hope you are feeling better soon. Hugs xxoo

esme and the lane way said...

Sophie: it's attached but it would be easy to change and a really nice feature :)

Harlow Darling: it is nice! The online stuff is great too :)

ThisTornado: hehe I will! And nope, not mine, it's not quite my size so it's still online :)

VertigoKris said...

You look perfct in every single thing you wear!

ConstantlyAlice said...

Gorgeous in every single outfit ;-)

Miss Marie said...

Love the blue dress, and the blouse with the orange skirt. I'm going to be visiting Melbourne in a couple of months so I will make note of Dear Gladys. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

sorry to be a pest but would you mind loading a photo of the curler placement to get your hair like that? i just cut my hair- took about 15-20 cms off- and i'm having trouble with curl placement in my shorter hair as they way i used to do it doesn't work the same way anymore

re the outfits- all are fab. you should get them all

Anonymous said...

I adore the little sundress with the roses.

Valerie Enríquez said...

These dresses are so gorgeous and the colors are so vibrant and lovely. I can't believe you are almost at winter on your part of the world, it looks like Spring colors! :)

esme and the lane way said...

Anonymous: not pesty at all :) I want to do a post on this soon – I might even do a video! I get asked this a lot so I think it is about time! x

Valerie Enríquez: we are slap bang in the middle of winter! :D The green walls help with the colours and the whole wall to my left is a window but believe me, it was a cold and miserable day :) x

Alli: haha I was wearing TWO concealers! :D

Miss Marie: excellent! I know you'll love it! Their online stock is different to the instore stock so check them out on the web too :)

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

Sorry, too much awesome for me to possibly choose.

Is It Secret, Is It Safe said...

Beautiful dresses! The blue one is my favorite!

-Katie

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a thoroughly delightful image packed post. You've got me pining to hop on a plane right this very moment and zip off to Melbourne for a whirlwind shopping spree!

♥ Jessica

Eva Wu said...

i love these pics!

Pia Storm said...

The dresses are gorgeous! I especially adore the white and the navy - so beautiful!!

/Pia Storm

Sarah Dee said...

I just love that white cardigan!

xoxo Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

wardrobeexperience said...

the white day dress with the cute print is so special... so lovely. i really love how you mixed it with the white 80s cardi and the black tights.

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

Llara is the Little Scribbler said...

So many gorgeous pieces (love the floral stripe) and your face looks lovely, cold or not!

kaarlijnx-x said...

I really like your vintage style!

Estelle La Mode said...

Those red shoes are simply gorgeous! Love all the looks!


Xx
Esther
estellelamode.com

Anonymous said...

hello love all your outfits just wondering where your black tights are from they are gorg! xx

Talking Trash & Wasting Time said...

stunning!!!

Brooke x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...