Wednesday, 25 July 2012

winter outfits, vintage skirts, rust platforms and elbow patches

gorman shoes rust
So, as I said yesterday, last Saturday I made a conscious decision to stop it with the summer dresses. And that following Sunday, I wore some winter clothing proper. Sure, it was still sunny, but not quite as unseasonally warm as that all-changing start of the weekend.

I jumped in to my new, determined winter mindset with both feet, and chose to wear my vintage tweed orange, blue and cream skirt. I was so excited when I found this skirt at a local op shop, and knew that it would be perfect with my blue eyes and red hair... and I think I might not have been a red head at that point! I always had my future red hair in mind! I matched it with cream, ribbed tights, and my black jumper with cream elbow patched from Asos. I have always, always loved elbow patched on jumpers, and would love to find some heavy duty woolly, vintage ones. As would a few people, I know! So that might be quite a long search. In the meantime, I can make the most of the trend and maybe even add another one to keep this one company.

One thing I was thrilled about was being able to finish it all off with rust coloured platform shoes. I have wanted rust coloured shoes for the longest time (I'm sure I would have mentioned it before!) and so when I tried these Gorman suede platforms, with their perfect ankle strap and the best rust shade, I knew I had to have them. They are so incredibly comfortable, too. Honestly, it's love... and they complement my winter outfit perfectly!

Another thing I'd like to add that is matching rather perfectly is the blue masking tape you can see in these photos. We have almost finished painting our floorboards (doing one room at a time, obviously) and I can't wait to have them all done. As DIY jobs go, it is, to reclaim a much overused word, epic. They look so good now though. I can't wait to show them here! x

vintage dogstooth and elbow patches c vintage dogstooth and elbow patches b vintage dogstooth and elbow patches d vintage dogstooth and elbow patches a vintage dogstooth and elbow patches e

26 comments:

Sandra said...

You have the dreamiest shoes! Love these rust wedges.

RuskinDays downunder said...

Oooh love the skirt!

What are your thoughts on buying lovely vintage clothing that... stinks a bit? I'm having this little dilemma myself, after having bought a dress yesterday that I adore but the armpits pong (the dress is on my blog). I've had vintage collectors/sellers tell me it's not uncommon and people buy anyway and launder, but I still feel a bit urgh!

Ally said...

Adorable, love your patches on the elbows. x

Laura said...

First of all, I love your skirt, I've been looking for a skirt like this for months. Secondly, your hair looks amazing - how do you do it like this. :)Laura in NZ

Claire said...

Cute outfit, I love the shoulder pads. A girl at work told me today that I wasn't dressed appropriately as I had a summer dress on! hehe, I have tights on..

Claire said...

Cute outfit, I love the shoulder pads. A girl at work told me today that I wasn't dressed appropriately as I had a summer dress on! hehe, I have tights on..

lilyfm said...

your style is impeccable. i love how you've styled this so so much.

lots of love,

lily from red brick lipstick

Jessica Cangiano said...

I've always been a fan of fashion with a prep school vibe to it and few things call that aesthetic to mind more than elbow patches, so I'm definitely digging your cute sweater (and of course the rest of this pretty look, too).

♥ Jessica

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

Ooohhh... sweetpea - the hair is amaze!

Sara from Ladylike Delicacy said...

Neat outfit, I like it! :) Those shoes are pretty!

Fräulein.Perlon said...

great style for rainy summerdays :)

cecylia said...

awww hello gorgeous lady!! I love the elbow patches! And the blue wall :)

thorne garnet said...

You match the wall! Love the shoes, wish I could wear a high heel like that. Love that platform shoes are back in style

Annika Victoria said...

Pretty sure you'd look good wearing anything! But I'm particularly liking the combination of those tights with those shoes!

Pansy Lane said...

I LOVELOVELOVE that sweater with the elbow patches! It's so perfect with that skirt. Ugh, I miss winter outfits.

Eva Wu said...

everything is perfect: skirt, shoes, sweater and pics!

Sarah said...

Such a lovely outfit, the skirt is gorgeous and goes so well with your shoes.

Lynn said...

Love your hair!!! And the elbow patches are super cute!

Paigey The Vintage Dame said...

I ADORE this outfit. Like you said, it compliments your coloring so well and is just plain adorable.

-Paige

Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage said...

BEAUTIFUL LOOK, and amazing platforms~


Marie @
Lemondrop ViNtAge

I am having a fabulous giveaway right here.

Sarah Dee said...

The hair! The elbow patches! *swoon*

xoxo Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

Teresa said...

LOVE your houndstooth skirt! The colours are fabulous and you're right. Totally perfect with your colouring and your shoes. Love the little elbow patches too. Very cute! :)

esme and the laneway said...

‪Sandra‬ said...
Thank you! I have got a small (ahem) collection of shoes I love..!


‪RuskinDays downunder‬ said...
Thanks! With vintage clothing it depends on a few things... unless it is a great bargain and can be cleaned, I don't want to buy smelly clothes! :D To get smells out, I soak things in bicarb of soda (if the fabric is up to it), and, if that doesn't help, a good soak in Napi San should! Yellow armpit (ugly word) stains don't come out, though – and sweat rots fabric, so be aware that armpit staining can also result in ripped and unfixable underarms very soon! But polyester is usually fixable, smell wise! Hope that helps :)
July 25, 2012 5:49 PM


‪‬
‪Ally‬ said...
Thanks! Oh and I love your hair! Looks so good with the mustard :)


‪Laura‬ said...
Thanks! And thanks! :D I am putting together a video tutorial. I filmed doing this actual hair style but the light was really bad, so I don't know if it is useable yet... I'm on it, though! Asap :)


‪Claire‬ said...
Shoulder pads? :) Summer dresses and tights sounds fine to me ;)






‪lilyfm‬ said...
Thanks! x



‪Jessica Cangiano‬ said...
Haha thanks! :D



‪Miss Tallulah Porkchop‬ said...
Thanks love!



‪Sara from Ladylike Delicacy‬ said...
Thank you! I am in love with my shoes hehe



‪Fräulein.Perlon‬ said...
But it was a sunny winter day..! ;D


‪cecylia‬ said...
Heya lady! Thanks love!



‪thorne garnet‬ said...
Haha I do! :D



‪Annika Victoria‬ said...
Love love love your pink hair! And thanks, me and ribbed tights and open toe shoes go waaaaaay back..!



‪Pansy Lane‬ said...
Thanks! Oh, winter outfits are the best!



‪Eva Wu‬ said...
Thanks! x



‪Sarah‬ said...
Thank you! I am SO pleased to finally have rust shoes for such occasions ;)



‪Lynn‬ said...
Thanks!


‪‬
‪Paigey The Vintage Dame‬ said...
Thank you! Gosh you are gorgeous!



‪Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage‬ said...
thanks :)



‪Sarah Dee‬ said...
haha thanks!


‪Teresa‬ said...
Thanks – I'm about to change my hair so I hope the skirt still matches hehe ;) x

Kristian said...

Love your hair!

Jamie Rose said...

Oh man this is so cute! I love the retro color and your fantastic skirt. The elbow patches on your sweater are perfect too. I pretty much love everything about this outfit and I wish it was cool outside so I could wear something like this.

Eccentric Owl said...

I love this! Those elbow patches are perfect (I need some sweaters with elbow patches for fall!) and that skirt is so perfect! Gorgeous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...