Monday, 1 October 2012

birds, clouds, trees and alaia

alaia birds f
Happy Monday! I thought I'd start the week with a post using the last picture of my last post. This was a couple of weekends ago – honestly, September has flashed by far too quickly. We were, and still are, in that stage of Spring when we can still have some cold days (the last few have been like winter!) but the sun is that much brighter. It is already time to squint in the daylight!

I am glad of the cooler weather in some ways though, as I get to wear some of my cold weather clothes that haven't been taken out enough. This skirt is a long time favourite of mine that I've had for over ten years. I love the suede, the draping, the fit. I bought it in an op shop in Putney and it is by Alaia. Yes, one of my best finds!

The colours of it can be a bit difficult, though. Navy and dark olive green mean it doesn't work with black, and navys are often too different to put together. I realised that the colours of my Modcloth bird dress would be a perfect match, and the draping in the skirt would hide any tucked-in-dress bulkiness! A match made!

There is also something that falls somewhere between amusing and satisfying that the outfit ticks the boxes of that old magazine wisdom checklist: mix vintage with designer and high street. Of course I don't attempt stick to this rule but it made me smile to realise I had done it unintentionally. The shoes are local Australian designed Gorman, the skirt cover vintage and designer (oh but is that cheating?)(and vintage in a different sense to the usual, for me) and the cardigan and bag fill the high street requirement, from Forever New and Asos respectively. The cape is by Asos, too, and perhaps rounds off the checklist nicely, as it was thrifted from a local second hand-op shoppy-ish store.

alaia birds e alaia birds c alaia birds b alaia birds a alaia birds d alaia birds g
It was also a really lovely, bust Saturday. We started at one of my favourite places to go for Breakfast in Melbourne, Cheerio in Richmond. We then had some shopping, and waiting and using of the kids' colouring in machine, to do at Ikea, and finished off the afternoon at a friend's house, eating ash chevre and pate and patting black cat Albie, and Babycat's white-with-a-small-grey-smudge-on-the-head brother, Pudd. Can you see the resemblance?
alaia birds halaia birds trees clouds bars reflections porridge cheerio cheerio winter greens ikea colouring in machine ch ood table yums albie pudd babycat brother cat


Adele said...

Loving the cape!
I'm reading a book for uni at the moment about early 1800's Australia and the cover is a sort of fragment of a faded map and Richmond is bang smack in the middle! Knew I'd heard that name somewhere before!
Looking lovely as always :)

Mabel said...

You always take the best food photos!

I feel like I never get to wear all of my seasonal clothing because the weather is so weird most of the time.

Still loving your hair, I kind of want to go blond, but I'm worried my hair will be destroyed since it's dyed black :/

Mona (formerly Mabel)

Mona's Guide to Pin-Up Style & Makeup

Teresa said...

Love your outfit! It's a great mix of vintage and modern. I especially like the detail on your skirt.

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

*screams* Albi and Pudd! *pat, pat, pat* Gorgeous. I like that BBC wear her hairstyle long because she is a girl. :)

Loving your hair. I wish I could do something different with mine colorwise but it is naturally so dark. :(

irene wibowo said...

nice outfit.. :) i love the boots. :)

Irene Wibowo

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I've never seen a suede skirt in that style before, it's beautiful! The gathering and buckle make is really special. Oh and now you've made me really hungry! xo

Cathryn {Pencil Stitches} said...

I have just moved to Geelong from the UK, and I love how I have stumbled across your blog!! I might try that place for breakfast when we next go to Melbs!

Tori Bonaventura said...

Those shoes are perfect! Everything you are wearing is just lovely. I can't believe September is already gone as well! Although I live in America so we're approaching Autumn instead. :) Love this post!
xo, Tori

Hannah said...

The skirt is gorgeous! and your hair looks so cute this length. Hah Ikea is so much fun once in a while xx

Portrait of Curiosities said...

What a fantastic find... I love it when you spend a couple of hours in an op shop and walk away with so many wonderful things.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Very clever styling! That dress works so well as a wrap style top. The manufacture should put out a shirt in the same pattern - and call it the Esme after you! :)

♥ Jessica

eskimo*rose said...

Gorgie outfit, layering skirts over dresses is one of my fave tricks! I'm on the hunt for a bag just like that, will go check it out now ...

Natalie Jane said...

You suit every hair colour you do! I love your blog <333

Alli said...

I had a giggle when I saw you playing with the kids activities at Ikea.......I do the same thing!!!!! (much to the embarrassment of my 7yr old
I love the way your hair is looking at the moment....fair and pink at the ends. SO cute! :)

esme and the laneway said...

Adele: that book sounds amazing! Richmond still has lots of amazing Victorian buildings, it's quite beautiful :)

Mabel: thanks, I really enjoy taking food shots! :D My hair was dyed black for years too, but it is still silky and strong – for now!

Miss Tallulah Porkchop: hahaha yes she is a girly girl! The other long hair in her litter was a girl, too :) So cute!

Pull Your Socks Up!: :D

Cathryn {Pencil Stitches}: welcome to Aus! Hope your liking it? And it is definitely worthy of a Melbourne trip breakfast stop :)

Tori Bonaventura: Thanks! I know, it's going too fast. I love Autumn, love seeing the Autumn pics starting to pop up!

Hannah: I avoided IKEA for ages but it is just so good for some things!

Jessica Cangiano: :D <3

Kristian said...

A different silhouette for you, but very cute still.

Lynn said...

Ridiculously awesome shoes!

sallyrose45 said...

Bloody love the colours baaaabe, xxx

Lynn Dylan said...

Love the clothes and the background! Great shots!


Melanie said...

I love your top :)

Melanie ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...