Friday, 26 October 2012

finger waves and hair bows

black floral peplum finger waves c A month or so ago I finally got some vintage metal finger wave clips. I'd been having all sorts of ideas about doing some finger waves in my hair, but, although I had a few experiments with some sectioning hair clips, I had never actually got the clips you do – or at least, I do – in fact need. At last!black floral peplum finger waves h black floral peplum finger waves e black floral peplum finger waves d black floral peplum finger waves f And after all that time, I then let these clips sit on my dressing table, as I waited for the right time to give them a go. I need to pin curl my hair first, and I do that on freshly washed hair and then leave it overnight. The thing is, even on my curled hair, I know I need a good few hours of having the finger wave clips in for them to work. And who has several hours in the morning to spend pootling about like that?

I did eventually find the time to start experimenting, and I know this sounds terrible, BUT: I managed to find a way to put them in and sleep in them. Yeah, it's an attractive bed time look. I was happy to find that they do work without the need for awkward slumber, and so, a few weeks ago, I popped them in after work to style some finger waves for a night out. It worked really well... black floral peplum finger waves _j ... except I was still trying to sort out my pin curl set for the right side of my hair. My neat waves were tipped by some crazy, loopy curls. I tried more brushing out. I tried adding hair spray and brushing out. I tried adding gel and brushing out. But no. My bad curls were well and truly set and there was only one thing left to do. Water! Of course that meant having a practically straight section, which is far from ideal – but it pays to pick the lesser of two evils in life, I find, and this applies to hair, too. With a bow clipped in, I was pretty happy with my first real attempt with clips. Now I want to get some more clips so I can do all around my hair, and I want to have a few more plays with both softer and more defined waves, too. Hopefully, though, that won't involve any overnight clip action! I'll keep you posted with my results. xblack floral peplum finger waves _k black floral peplum finger waves i

29 comments:

Charlotte said...

They look so good! Just like Downton :)

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha'penny Vintage

irene wibowo said...

lovely. :)
Irene Wibowo

Jessica Cangiano said...

Great first attempt! I've never ventured into finger wave territory myself (as I usually wear 40s/50s styles and corresponding hairstyles), but am sure my first (several!) attempts would be eyebrow raising for sure! Yours looks lovely - the wave around your face is so romantically pretty.

♥ Jessica

Sarah said...

Wow, I really love the first few photos. Well done on getting such a good set; finger waves have always escaped me. I'd love to read more about how you go with them and any tips you've picked up. They look so stylish! x

Incendiary Blonde said...

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuute! I just bought some finger wave clips earlier this week, and I've been waiting (impatiently) for them to arrive. Can't wait to try them...although I doubt very much that I could sleep in them!

incendiaryblonde.blogspot.com

GracefullyVintage said...

Beautiful! Do you know where I can buy some of those clips! I've been wanting them for so long! xx

Lisa said...

Looks good! Through trial and error I've recently found that the best way for me to fingerwave my hair is first to set it in pincurls for fingerwaves (one row one way, one row another etc etc) brush it out, form the waves roughly and then stick those bad boy clips on while I do my make up. Hairspray the whole lot, take off the clips and hairspray again.

Lulu said...

ahhhhh! Now I know why my attempts have always failed, I need the proper clips! Or at least I hope that's what my propblem has been! Beautiful pics, love your lip stick! xxx

Staci said...

The finger waves look lovely! As does the bow. Very inspirational look :)

I adore the shade of lipstick you're wearing too. Is that a Lime Crime shade?

Valerie Brown said...

The finger waves are very cute! Can't wait to see further experiments!

sophie said...

wow. you are so pretty.
would you like to follow each other?
http://allnightlong-sophie.blogspot.de/
xx Sophie

Tori Bonaventura said...

Your finger waves are so perfect. I tried to do them once but mine didn't work out at all. They suit you so well.
xo, Tori
http://generationscollective.blogspot.com/

Person hinter den Worten said...

They turned out great!!

Franca said...

you look adorable!

Meg said...

Stunning!! And I'm loving LOVING your dress! Xo
megthecoolgirl.blogspot.com

Nina said...

The clips make it so much easier!
I put a little mousse and spray conditioner in first, left then for ten minutes, blowdried and hairsprayed once they were out and they came out great. Next time I'll leave them in longer but I was surprised how quickly they set. But my hair is bleached heavily so they hold shapes better than they used to

Mona LaFontaine said...

I always wondered how people got those waves in their hair. It never occurred to me that there was a clip for it! I think it looks awesome :)

Mona (Mabel)
Mona's
Guide to Pin-Up Style & Makeup

Katie Frank said...

you look so beautiful <3 it's so charming <3
http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

Moda de Francisco said...

Love your look. Where you from? I from Brazil!!!!Haha. Follow my blog http://blogthaisbrito.blogspot.com.br/?

Amie said...

Gorgeous hair! Where did you buy the clips from? I found an old 1955 "Science of Cosmotology" book in the Sunday markets, and there are lots of beautifully illustrated instructions on how to do all sorts of finger waves!

The Indie Fox said...

Look georgeous! And I love the top you're wearing <3

xo Sarah, The Indie Fox

Teresa said...

I love love love the vintage finger wave look, your dress is also amaze!
Long time reader, and first time commenter because I finally just realised you look SO much like Australian singer Clare Bowditch! It's uncanny! x

Nika Chick said...

That's a secret, I see :)

Hope I'll find someday such pins for creating finger waves. Looks really beautiful.

ourdailydress said...

Those finger waves look great- one of my friends has a Vidal Sassoon finger wave curler that works really well. Not the traditional method but much quicker!

esme and the laneway said...

The finger waves clips are from etsy. I'll be back soon to answer more! x

Ahka Vintage said...

I love finger waves - they are the epitome of vintage I think!
www.AhkaVintage.com

HOB said...

Boy this is dedication! Looks good!

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Wow the result is so gorgeous, it looks like you've been doing finger waves forever!! I would never have guessed it was your first time using them:). I order a large pack of them from Amazon about two months ago and like you, they've been sitting there patiently waiting for me to tackle them. I'm afraid of failing and that's the truth - you've inspired me to get cracking. xo

Melanie said...

What a cute dress :)

Love,
Melanie ~ www.mlncrd.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...