Thursday, 20 December 2012

my new vintage sun dress, sunsets and a sunbathing kitty

yellow drawn vintage sun dress b Here we go, my first post with photos from my phone! A post to show you my new vintage sun dress. After so many years of feeling as though I was never quite prepared for Melbourne's long, hot summers (which are interspersed with cold rainy days, but hey, us Melburnians take the relief when we can and love it!) I finally now think I am, ironically, more ready for summer than the other seasons. It did take me a while to get there – here? – but I've finally embraced it with aplomb. In fact, I'm eager! Mid century dresses in the softest, pre loved cotton and the best colours and prints are perfect for our summers. However, just a couple of weeks of more or less hot, or at least warm (there's a distinction here, and both call for the minimum of clothing!) days and I've realised that my choice of summer clothing is still limited. Not massively, no, I'll admit that – happily! – but enough to require a few more pieces if I am to get through the summer months without being completely bored before the halfway mark.

So, I bought this little cutie. That same soft, gently worn old cotton, and a nice print – this one is of women drinking at cafes in a graphic black line drawing style I am a fan of, on a blend of yellows, peach, pinks and tans. Very sunset-y colours, and they would look especially good with red hair, don't you think..! I love the delicate double straps and the shorter length; the skirt has been taken up but not chopped – hooray! – so I can let it back down if I feel like it. As I've mentioned before, however, I like both the longer, traditional lengths as well as shorter hem lines on my 1950's and 1960s dresses, so I will be keeping this one as is for now.

yellow drawn vintage sun dress g yellow drawn vintage sun dress d Do you like how it goes so well with my living room? Most important, right?! yellow drawn vintage sun dress a yellow drawn vintage sun dress f Babycat was too busy sharing a sun bath with the plants to pay too much attention. yellow drawn vintage sun dress e I think it fits in very well with my small but growing collection. And now, to see what shoes it will go with... I'm sure I can find a pair or two! yellow drawn vintage sun dress h

14 comments:

Elyce Sandri said...

oh i love it!!

BusiChic said...

oh my word, Marianne, that dress is divine! Can I ask where you got it from? The print and colours are Summer perfection indeed.

Sorry to hear that your camera is out-of-action but hope that it's ready soon. xx

Meg Eileen Carroll said...

Having lived my entire 16 years of life here, you would think I would be ready to deal with this weather, wardrobe-wise. But no, I am not. In my defence I have only been of my adult height/size for the last year or two, so I may need some more time...
The dress is lovely, and I cannot wait to see it on. You do find the loveliest prints :D

http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

Jessica Cangiano said...

That pattern is so wonderfully charming! What's not to adore about vintage ladies, bookcases, and oodles of cute doodled flowers? Absolutely nothing, if you ask me! :)

♥ Jessica

Iliska Dreams said...

I am so glad who ever took the hem up did not chop it off. Another gorgeous dress for your collection.

http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

Aurè said...

Cheers...Your new vintage Dress is cool...the yellow color bright Up the mood, it's Beautiful!
Ciao and Merry Christmas wishes

Anna-Nathalie said...

What a pretty summer dress :)

Teresa said...

Gorgeous dress. The print is beautiful and it does perfectly match your lounge room setting!

The hem allowance in some 50s dresses never fails to make my draw drop. I seen some with about 8-10 inches of fabric. :)

Sarah M. said...

The dress is stunning, but I think I am even more in love with your abode, the last pic especially!

www.etsy.com/shop/tracesremainvintage

Helen said...

I love the print, how clever!

esme and the laneway said...

BusiChic: thanks! It's another etsy find :) ANd thanks about the camera, I hope so too. Talk about THE worst timing!

Meg Eileen Carroll: 16, so much time ahead to collect things! It takes a while :)

Jessica Cangiano: <3

Iliska Dreams: :D x

Teresa: it's great having the option, isn't it!

Sarah M.: thanks – it's a work in progress but it's coming along :)

Helen: x

Jen W said...

Amazing photos from your phone- I love the sundress and your decor!

Adorable kitty too- my cat is called Dizzy and I call him Bebbeh cat all the time :)

alabee said...

Such a lovely dress! And I really love your plant stand.

AhkaVintage said...

I love this dress! The print is amazing - that's one thing that is hard to find on modern, commercial clothing - quality and decent prints. Loving your collection!
www.AhkaVintage.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...