Sunday, 9 December 2012

warm spring evenings and a Danish twist

dansk map Just over a week ago, we went out for an evening with some lovely Melbourne bloggers to visit Danish store Dansk on Chapel Street in Windsor. We liked the crisp white interiors, vintage maps, and playful colourful pieces – and the monkies! dansk colourful esp dansk monkey dansk shirts adansk shoes b There were good shirts for John to look at and lots of shoes for me to admire. chapel street buildings chapel street buildings b Then it was time for us all to cross the busy street and go for something to eat at The Wolf and I. I like this end of Chapel Street, with its old buildings in different colours. This is looking left and looking right. swan hotel wolf and i wolf and i a The Wolf and I is in the old Swan Pub building. I love these big old decorative hotel buildings. We were treated to more champagne, Danish meatballs – not Swedish, there is a difference! Or so I'm assured, perhaps a little research here could be necessary – and hearty Danish dishes. No one left hungry! chapel street lighs And then it was time to head home. People love being outside here in the evenings, when it is warm. There are always lots of interesting looking places on the side streets, like this place with the fairy lights. So pretty! And what a nice evening out it was, too. chapel street people outdoors chapel street fairy lights

9 comments:

Jessica Cangiano said...

That looks like terrific evening - very pretty, as you said, for sure. It's interesting, that downtown area reminds me a bit of parts (particularly towards the Little Italy area) of downtown Toronto, which I think stems from the streetcar cables that both spots share in common.

♥ Jessica

Tilda said...

Funny about the meatballs. I'm from sweden and I think we have a hundred different ways of making meatballs, me for instance like to put mozzarella in it and make them out of deer instead of cow. But I think the traditional dansih meatball is made of pork meat.

Katie Frank said...

wow so many beautiful stuff! <3
http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

Hannah Margaret Allen said...

Great photographs. xoxo

Anonymous said...

As a dane I can tell you that there is a differnece between danish and swedish meatballs :) Outs are bigger (and better ;)) and ours are fried on a pan not cooked as the swedish most often are. :)

/ Thit (thitbirk@gmail.com)

esme and the laneway said...

Jessica Cangiano: Canada sounds amazing, especially Toronto! I like the idea of streetcars/trams, I hope yours work better than ours ;)

Tilda: mmmm mozzerella ones sound delicious! I think these ones were pork, that makes sense! :D

Katie Frank, Hannah Margaret Allen: thanks!

Anonymous: aha! The ones we had were fried and not tiny; I think this is all coming together :) Thanks for the info! x

Mrs Advocat said...

I have one of those monkies by Kay Boyesen, I love it! I hope they will allow it into Oz considering it is made of wood :)
Funny to see a danish store as I was considering starting a swedish, but there might already be one in Sydney and I guess law is a more stable income

Anonymous said...

There is also a difference in the meat used to make the meatballs. The traditional danish meatball is half pork half cow. Stirred with onions, eggs,flour, salt, pepper, and fried on a pan. (but most Danes like to vary the meatballs by adding different things. I for instance like to add finely chopped carrots and leeks and a large amount of thyme).
You hid a very soft spot for us Danes. We do like our meatballs and they should NOT be mistaken for Swedish ones. ;-)
Mette (another Dane)

esme and the laneway said...

Mrs Advocat: ah I didn't know who the monkeys were by! They might not let it in but at least you know you can find them here as a last resort :) And I think a Swedish store would be really cool!

Anonymous Anonymous: aha, the things you learn! :) I like the sound of the leek and thyme. And I promise I won't mix them up again! ;D x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...