Monday, 21 January 2013

my summer makeup

summer makeup jan 2013 d I have been putting together the posts you asked me for and it has been mostly enjoyable, and occasionally hard. So far I have posts on my skincare, my summer makeup (both easy) and my engagement-marriage status (not so easy) and have more to do, too, such as how I got into vintage. This could be a huge post and I’ve been thinking about how to condense it all for months, and even took some photos for it, but decided they were a bit dull so I’ll start again for that one. It also links into the post I’ll do about my move to Australia, as my love for vintage had to adjust to a new, extreme – and extremely different – climate.

So let’s start with an easy one: my current summer makeup favourites.

I’m using the same moisturising sunscreen as I have been for years, Olay’s Complete Defence. It’s factor 30 (the highest you can get here, although I think this might have recently been changed) and protects against UVA and UVB. The sun is so relentlessly strong here, especially in summer, that I wouldn’t – I couldn’t – go outside for more than a minute without sunscreen. Sucks but it’s true.

summer makeup jan 2013 c I do have a new foundation: I am now using Covergirl’s Tru Blend in shade number 1. It is better for me, colour wise, than my last one, and I really like how it feels on. It was recommended by Jessica of Chronically Vintage and Nessbow, and it turned out a friend uses it, too, so I got to see it first hand. It’s still warm but I love that there is a cheap foundation so I can spend more money on things that can’t be scrimped on, like perfume and too many coffees.

My concealers are the same as before – literally, the same ones, they last for ages: Bobbi Brown corrector in Porcelain Bisque and Laura Mercier’s in shade 1. I only use the corrector on really bad days and love them both. I haven’t been too racoony lately (until this past week, thanks to an allergic reaction, but more on that another time) so the Laura Mercier one is enough. It’s so creamy, and so good, I just know it will be discontinued!

For my eyebrows, I use Rimmel’s pencil in Black Brown. I love really dark eyebrows with bleached hair, as I like the contrast. I’m now going to get really fascinating and tell you that I’ve also started shaping my brows in a more early 1960’s shape, and I am loving it. I love eyebrows – no, really, I do – and how much they can change your face. I still want to try coloured brows, too, and a much lighter blonde-brown look. I feel a makeup shopping sesh coming on!

I find that in the summer heat, my mascara melts onto my face when I blink, and so I switched to a waterproof one. I’m not going to say which one it is as I grabbed an emergency one, by a well-known budget brand, from the super market, and I don’t like it at all. It isn’t waterproof, or sweat or tear proof, and still smudges under my eyes within an hour, but it IS eye makeup remover, deep cleansing cream and shower proof, and I can never get it all off and wake up with panda eyes. Oh hooray. If you know of any good ones, please share!

As with mascara, I find that my eyeliner can melt in the heat, too. I still use and love the Australis liquid liner but mostly avoid it when it is very hot. I’ve been enjoying a strong brow and strong lip combo lately, sans liner, but I’ll be back to it when it cools down.

summer makeup jan 2013 b For my cheeks, I have two blushers: Illamasqua ones in Lover and Nymph. I love these; perfectly matte and good strong colours and easy to build up so they can be subtle, too. Wearing lots of the orange one, Lover, at the moment.

Lip liners: MAC’s Cherry and Brick, a pinky red and an orange red respectively, and Illamasqua’s Titivate, a bright pink. I love bright lips, especailly with strong brows, and Lime Crime’s Velvetine in Suedeberry is incredible. I also use their Retrofuturist and Glamour 101 lipsticks a lot these days, and MAC’s Girl About Town is my favourite bright blue-based pink.

And... that’s all of it! If you’ve got any summer favourites, let me know. I do know a lot of you are in the middle of winter and so at the opposite end of things, makeup wise, and I love seeing the looks for cold weather. This winter, I’ll be wearing matte, velvety pale powder and strong eyes. I’m getting tired of summer, so hurry up, Autumn! x summer makeup jan 2013

20 comments:

AhkaVintage said...

I'm glad I'm not alone in my fascination with eyebrows! They are the 'staple' of the face!
www.AhkaVintage.com

hollysfrothandbubble.com said...

Great post! I find the search for a good mascara a pain too.

I was using a Clinique one, it was tubular, and really, really easy to remove and it never smudged. However, it wasn't very lengthening or thickening. Hmm.

I'm now using Benefit 'They're Real', and my eyelashes look amazing, and it's not too prone to smudging on a hot day. But it is a total pain to remove. Need to investigate if Benefit do a tubular mascara ...

Danielle said...

I could never, ever, ever find a summer-friendly foundation for how very melty I become in Perth until this summer when I tried out Garnier's BB cream. My routine has become cleanse and tone as normal, then Benefit 'That Gal' primer before BB cream and it is working an absolute treat. Feels and looks light, but stays put -- not that I've tested on a 40+ day yet!

Funnily enough, I think I made the same waterproof mascara mistake when I was working on a palliative care ward for prac, since being a soppy sort I was getting regularly misty-eyed. The panda-eyed weepy student nurse - my signature image. Just grabbed a Rimmel waterproof the other day and it goes on really clean, but does still deliver some melty-smudging. Better than the supermarket one, though!

Loving the pinky peachy tones you've been so beautifully carrying off over the summer! xx

Veronica said...

Lovely post.

Veronica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
esme and the laneway said...

AhkaVintage: they totally are aren't they! I do love a good brow, especially really artificial looking ones. I think they're so glam :D

hollysfrothandbubble.com: what is tubular mascara, is the those little bits like mini falsies?:) I do love Benefit packaging. x

Danielle: that BB cream sounds great! How do you find using a primer everyday, though – do you get blocked pores? Ugh I wish we could just ban 40C+ days, they're so rude. ;D







Meg Eileen Carroll said...

I should probably look into getting some waterproof mascara, maybe for next summer, as it would be very helpful in the sporadic heat. Also I've been meaning to expand my blushes. Right now I only use a benefit cheek tint, but want to try some pinks, etc, so I'll look into yours. :D

http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

Erika said...

My ultimate mascara - Kevyn Aucoin's The Curling Mascara, Waterproof. I generally get it via Mecca Cosmetica. It's a tube one, so stays as required, comes off when desired. Pricey but SO worth it. It is really the only one that doesn't give me panda eyes.

Sleekit said...

I'm loving Lime Crime after seeing it on yourself and Fashion Hayley, have just put an order in on line, so looking forward to experimenting a wee bit more with my make-up. I must blush, I don't do enough blushing...

Sleekit x

Selina said...

I love eyebrows and how they shape a face. I use to thread mine constantly for 10 years and now some of the brow doesn't grow back to I have had to abandon it for some brow brushing instead. As for eye makeup, I rarely use any. I get itchy eyes with mascara and eyeliner. If I want some colour, I use an eyeshadow cream for a solid colour and powder for a shimmer. I tried false lashes for NYE which was pretty impressive for me and I'd like to use them more than clogging up my lashes with clumpy mascara

Nina said...

I love Nyx's doll eye mascara. Long lash in particular. It's tubular as well. In other words, it forms tubes around each lash (not in a way that you can see that happening), so doesn't smudge under my eyes but comes off in little tubes with warm water while I'm in the shower. Love it! I buy mine off eBay for less than $10. Properly lengthens too.

esme and the laneway said...

Meg Eileen Carroll: Oh I love Benefit's cheek tint too :) I do love a powder blush as well, though, and less spill risk!

Erika said: ooh that sounds good – getting my eyelashes to curl ain't easy so this could be the answer.

Sleekit: I think you'll love LC! Blusher is really fun, especially with fair skin and dark hair x

Selina: how did you find the eyelash glue? I could never get it all off afterwards! I've always wanted to try an eyeshadow cream, I'll be searching on your blog to see if you've got favs :)

Nina: oh I see, thanks :) Do the little tubes irritate your eyes though?

Claire said...

Great post! I really like a compact powder foundation in summer as I find liquid foundation can run off my face in the heat. My favourite is MAC Studio Fix.

Also, I wish I had discovered your pretty blog sooner, I'm really enjoying it! It's nice to find other Melbourne bloggers out there :)

www.cinnamonandsouth.blogspot.com

Vanessa said...

I'm so glad you're loving that Covergirl foundation. It's my current favourite base.

Some of my summer favourites are You Rebel tinted moisturizer from Benefit, Medieval lip stain from Lipstick Queen and Maybelline Great Lash mascara. It isn't waterproof, but I find it stays in place even in face-meltingly hot weather.

Selina said...

The glue was annoying but not impossible. It kept curdling into strings so it was tricky. However, the rain washed it away so it was easy to get off in the end. I need way more practice before I can buy the ones I'm after in Superdrug. I've linked to the post about them. As for the cream eyeshadow, I got this beautiful turquoise off MeMeMe cosmetics online. I'll do a post about that soon


http://gingerchestnut.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/nye-ostrich-eyelashes.html

Nina said...

Nope! Just like normal mascara until you wash them off. And I've never had issues with them coming off before I want them too either.

Ps I agree about strong eyebrows. I have white blonde bleached hair that sometime changes colour and I always draw on dark brows or colorful ones

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a lovely warm weather arsenal of beauty products. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Despite living in a country with very extreme summers and winters (Canada), I don't vary my make-up too much between the two. Fortunately (in this case) I tend to have dry (not oily) skin, which means that in the summer, I can still use things like powders and cake eye shadows. The main difference though is that in the summer I usually use a tinted moisturizer and in the winter a foundation onto of a make-up base. I usually keep the rest about the same though - guess I'm just a creature of habit that way. :)

♥ Jessica

tors (girl meets wolf) said...

I'm fascinated by eyebrows and how they can change a persons face too! I love looking at everyone's eyebrows and seeing the differences and, oh my, coloured eyebrows (I saw some purple ones the other day) are amazeballs! I'm loving the new shape of yours, they look really great. My own, unfortunately, are very scraggly at the moment as I've been lazy for the last year and only kept them tidy and then left them completely be whilst decorating. Joys of working from home!

Marissa said...

It's so wonderful to get a glimpse into your makeup bag! You always look so adorable. I too am a porcelain lovely, and use Olay SPF30 Moisturiser to protect my skin daily. I have searched high and low to find a suitable pale foundation and my holy grail is Laura Mercier's Oil-Free Tinted Moisturiser in Porcelain. It is light and breathable and makes my skin look flawless. I think you would love it too!! As for your difficulties with melting eyeliner, try Revlon Colorstay liquid liner. Its perfect for vintage glam cat eyes and stays on all day. ( I am a makeup artist and have tried most products until I find my favorites ) Stop by my page as I share all my vintage inspired beauty tips-and-tricks. MarissaXXX
http://mtsicaderis.blogspot.com.au/

Justyna said...

Hah, I'm from Poland and I'm tired of this cold, snowy Winter, 'so hurry up, Spring' :)) greetings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...