Thursday, 17 January 2013

summer mornings in the kitchen

kitchen d I've been quite nesty lately, and have been making our place a bit more comfortable. Here is how the kitchen looks at the moment, when the morning light wakes it up.

This is the back wall and where most of our bench space is. kitchen c It gets lots of sunlight in the morning, which is good for the herbs. I think it's good for me, too, in that it helps to wake me up, along with my coffee, to see all that bright light dancing on the pale green walls. kitchen b We don't have a kitchen window so I want as many plants in there as possible. Bunches of herbs are nice, too, and that is fresh cut parsley from my mother-in-law's garden. I'm not sure what I cook with it. Any ideas? kitchen a I bought a cake stand last weekend, and some little cup cake cases. I don't bake very often but as I am going to a picnic on Sunday I think I should see what I can rustle up. I want to make something really lemony and zingy and damp. kitchen j kitchen e I'm not usually very sentimental, but this is a polaroid (!) taken in 2004 (!!!) of a room full of tomatoes. Every year, John's family makes tomato salsa (a plain tomato sauce) the same way they have for decades, for the extended families, for the whole year, and we help. As you can imagine, it takes a LOT of tomatoes! I couldn't believe that this stuff would last a whole year in the cupboard but it does, and it is delicious, too. You can taste the freshly torn basil and the wood fire that cooked it. kitchen g Here is the wall on the right. We bought a trolley from Ikea, which is really useful for our limited space. It is surprisingly sturdy and the wheels actually roll, and I've been popping the pot plants on top and wheeling them about, chasing the sunny spots that makes them stand up straight and turn their faces upwards. I don't usually have a dress hanging there, but it helps to brighten up a bare bit of wall next to the poster of Italy, and it's good to have somewhere to hang the ironing. You can see a bit of our back door, and I really want to paint it. I just have to chose a colour... maybe yellow? And yes, I left the clothes horse there because hey, we have them and need them and I am not ready to hide it under the bed just yet! kitchen f My thyme is looking a little sickly. It's spending some time with the lemons we picked yesterday evening from the garden. kitchen i And here is the business side on the left wall, the bit with the sink and the oven that generally doesn't get shown. I thought it was worth marking a rare occasion: no dishes drying on the rack because they're in their cupboards! And at the end of those cupboards are some shelves, which don't have too much to worry about beyond holding my pretty tea cups and flask, and get being tickled by the dangly plant. Which, I think, I need more of – so they will be next for the kitchen! kitchen h

19 comments:

Lolita Haze said...

I am in love with your herb garden set up! I think I just might have to steal that idea for myself!

Elina said...

You can put that parsley in pesto! Just use the original pesto genovese recipe but add some parsley in the mixture. Tastes pretty much the same.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Your kitchen is as charming and lovely as can be. I really like the multiple floating shelves, back splash tiles, and fantastic amount of sunlight you get there. It must make waking up and starting the day especially pleasant.

♥ Jessica

Shell KittyAndBuck said...

What a cute post, I love the way you described everything, like the plant 'tickling' and you feeling 'nesty' You have a lovely little kitchen full of personality :)
Shell
Kitty & Buck

Anna-Nathalie said...

So cute kitchen you have!
Wish it was summer here too.. sigh!

Ron McQuade said...

What an adorable kitchen! Also, I think I might have to go out and buy that ikea trolley for my kitchen, it's the perfect size to fit into the oddly sized hole in the wall that was once a stove. I think it would be adorable as a cocktail trolley. Drinks on wheels, what could be better? I also love the plant hangers, they seem really practical especially if bench space is limited.

As for the door I think yellow would be great, and so would be red. Red is a classic door colour.

JellyBones said...

I love the little vintage touches in your kitchen! Super cute.
Trish

www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What a cute little kitchen! I love how you've decorated it, very simple but looks great and cozy. Beautiful :)

Sophie Jane said...

Gosh, i really adore your kitchen

Katie and Reuben said...

Your home is lovely and I love your herb gerden set up. We're about to move and I can't wait to fill our new (old) kitchen up with pots of herbs! I might have to steal your idea of hanging them from a little rail on the wall...

Katie xx

Esz said...

I so want to come to this picnic and I HAD planned to go but the Mr wants to go fossicking for treasures in Tyabb and that is awfully fun! We are going early in the morning so depending on how long the picnic goes for I might be able to make it.

As for parsley - a great way to use lots of it:
Get some super fresh baby potatoes - the fresher the better and quite small. You want the skins to be able to scrub off with a sponge. Or just cut up some cocktail potatoes if you dont have the super fresh ones right out of the ground.

Boil em up!

Chop up a really big handful of parsely - make sure its really small pieces.

Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and mix in with the chopped parsley and a metric shit-tonne of butter (mwahahah!!) and salt. Or you could use fancy salted butter that would be ace.

The potatoes should be soft enough to kind of mush up with the butter but still hold their shape. It should be nice and green and so fresh tasting!
Great side dish :-)

nana said...

your kitchen has a vintage flair.
loved it

bespokehome said...

Parsley: Tabouleh, Pesto, Chopped up and put with lemon slices on fish that's baked in foil parcels, or lots and lots chopped up and stirred through pasta with lemon and olive oil and garlic (served with chicken or fish and salad).

Door: A darker sage green would work if you got the right shade (nothing too dark like forest green).

SCE said...

I love your hanging herb pots! I've got a railing in my kitchen that doesn't ever seem to get used properly, and might have to try this out.

Taygan said...

So pretty! I'm definitely a fan of plants in the kitchen - it just brings so much colour and life to the room :)
Love these home posts you've been doing!

dearmrrabbit.blogspot.com.au

Taygan said...

So pretty! I'm definitely a fan of plants in the kitchen - it just brings so much colour and life to the room :)
Love these home posts you've been doing!

dearmrrabbit.blogspot.com.au

Melanie said...

I love your kitchen :)

Love xx
Melanie ~ www.mlncrd.com

tors (girl meets wolf) said...

I love your hanging herb garden, my kitchen doesn't get enough sunlight to be able to grow anything. Interestingly, though, I have the exact same cake stand (despite not baking unless my friend's kids are over) so it never really gets used, a shame for something so pretty!

Penelope said...

Think you could show a photo of your dinette? The glimpse of chair has me green with envy! Is it vintage?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...