Wednesday, 23 January 2013

tailoring tomorrow, wilting hydrangeas and the city in the summer heat

ttm a ttm k1 Last Thursday I went to Tailoring Tomorrow, the event hosted by Peppermint and Billy Blue I mentioned here. It turned out to be around 40C that day, but I was really looking forward to it and so I put on my blue hydrangea dress and off I went. To get to the city I have to drive to a train station – this makes it sound as though I live way out in the countryside, when in fact I live around 10km from the city centre, it’s just that our public transport here is so embarrassingly bad – and in rush hour it takes about 40 minutes in my un air conditioned car. By the time I got to the platform I was feeling pretty ordinary but the trains were cool, and two trains and a good long thank you to the skies above that I don’t have to use Melbourne’s trains everyday later, I was in west end of the city. In what I think is a sign of how heat can addle the brain, I then walked down the wrong street and ended up doing a lap of a full city block, which didn’t exactly make me feel better, and eventually staggered up to the beautiful Donkey Wheel House.

ttm j ttm i ttm h This amazing old building, dating back to 1891 (which is pretty old for this town! I know, I know) is one of those places that make me like Melbourne that little bit more. We lose so many of the few historic places we have and so it is wonderful to see efforts made to keep our heritage around us. It is a really interesting old building with a cage lift, a tiled hallway and a basement that stays cold. I took some pictures and hope to return to take more when I eventually get my camera back.

ttm g ttm f ttm c The talks were interesting, and the facts were often shocking. I particularly enjoyed listening to Alex Trimmer of Sosume, who spoke honestly and passionately about the details, and difficulties, of running a sustainable fashion business. I’ve spared you the crappy images my iPhone would have produced! Same with the familiar friendly faces I saw that night; no grainy photos wanted (my iPhone seemed to be upset with the heat, too) and pictures will be taken when I get my camera back, I promise!

ttm e ttm d I thought the fruit filled cocktails served in jars, with stripy paper straws, looked so pretty, and they tasted as good as they looked. The straws maintained such a firmness I managed to spear a few of the raspberries at the bottom of my jar and eat them!

ttm l Unfortunately the heat really had got to me and I had to leave a little before the end of the evening. We headed back into the oven-hot air to a lonely Spencer Street train station and strolled along the wide, raised walkway into the blazing sunset, before sinking down into the grimy cold concrete of the platforms below. It was actually rather beautiful, and I’ve always loved that part of the city. It was good to see so many people interested, and involved, in a sustainable future, and I am glad to have been there. Here’s to more!

ttm b

11 comments:

Meg Eileen Carroll said...

Yep, the heat can definite kill off some brain cells. It's never good when a heat wave coincides with a school day, it's a nightmare! This looks like a lovely event, and yes, Melbourne architecture, inside and out, is fantastic. What brand and shade of lipstick is that, because I've been looking for a hot pink shade, and that one appears to apply really well :D Shall we be seeing you on the pages of peppermint perhaps?

http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

Hannah Margaret Allen said...

What a lovely post! You look smashing and the place you went to was so picturesque. And your iPhone photos were perfect! Thanks for sharing xoxo

esme and the laneway said...

Meg Eileen Carroll: I hope your school has good air con! The lipstick is MAC's Girl About Town :) And I was chuffed (and terrified, haha!) to be on the cover and featured in peppermint mag 2 years ago! x

Hannah Margaret Allen: thanks :) too kind with the iPhone photos, though, I can't wait to take clear photos again hehe :D

Taygan said...

Love these photos - Melbourne is really quite lovely :)
Not loving the heat either.. makes me want to hibernate somewhere air-conditioned!!

Jessica Cangiano said...

That sunset is the sort of think that conjures up thoughts of poetry and romance, warmth and serenity. Like the rest of this post, it's absolutely beautiful.

♥ Jessica

Mrs Advocat said...

I guess I will have to get used to that soon too when we are moving to sydney! and yes, I also love when considerations of sustainability is brought into the equation of fashion, nothing worse than people buying items to just be worn once!

The Braided Bandit said...

This sounds like a lovely event, I especially like those tasty and cute looking drinks! I just found your blog from your interview over on Mermaidens and I have LOVED scrolling through your posts, you have such a pretty vintage style! I am your newest follower via Bloglovin and honestly can't wait to see more.
Have a beautiful day!
Cheers,
Hannah
thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com
thebraidedbandit.etsy.com

Jardine said...

The colours in the last photo are gorgeous! As is your hydrangea {not wilting at all} dress.

MakiMaki Vintage said...

You are so gorgeous!

Stefanie said...

Ahh I remember when I was living in Portugal and my brain melted far too often in the heat, but there is something about old historic buildings that don't need air conditioning but stay cool. I have taken shelter in many buildings just to cool off and start my trek through the city again. I never took transit there too because it was just too darn hot in the summer.

Oh boy what a long comment. Lovely photos. :)

Stefanie said...

Ahh I remember when I was living in Portugal and my brain melted far too often in the heat, but there is something about old historic buildings that don't need air conditioning but stay cool. I have taken shelter in many buildings just to cool off and start my trek through the city again. I never took transit there too because it was just too darn hot in the summer.

Oh boy what a long comment. Lovely photos. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...