Wednesday, 9 January 2013

weekend away to daylesford, part three:
where we stayed and dinner under the stars on warm evenings

me holly lodge mirror b me holly lodge mirror a Now that I am in the swing of the New Year, let's visit the great weekend away I had in Daylesford and have a look at our gorgeous accommodation. You can see part one and part two of this weekend here and here.

After our indulgent afternoon tea, we went to the what would be our home for the night, courtesy of dayget, a huge house called Holly Lodge. When we arrived, our jaws dropped as we explored the house and sprawling gardens. It felt so nice to be in the cool shade of a sturdy historic building and to open all the big windows to the warm spring air. holly lodge room view harpers bazar me holly lodge mirror c There were four double rooms, each with an en suite and private sun rooms and balconies. I had the vintage style Harpers Bazar room. bally blonde c My sun room had the Bally Blonde. I love this poster! bally blonde a many rooms library letters This is the library. There were so many rooms it was hard to keep track of them all; perfect for a larger group for several days stay, in that you could spend time together and still have plenty of space for time alone, too. orange room a towels fresh white towels secret garden pond leeyong me birch We had a look at the gardens. There were several separate areas and it was almost big enough to feel quite deliciously lost in. Leeyong and I sat in the rustic benches and then made shapes in the orchard. me and leyong garden leeyong boo garden view table garden white chairs four Almost all of us: Sarah W, Sarah K, me and Leeyong; Iolanthe was taking the photo. ivy table Of course we decided to have dinner outside later. reading penguins But first I did some reading in bed, which might or might not have turned into a bit of an afternoon nap. lemon chandlier Then it was time to prepare dinner. I love this lemon chandelier in the kitchen. fruit chandlier b So much so that it deserves a close up. plant lace Watching the sunsetting through the plants that bloomed outside the kitchen window. It was so quiet and still. pour bubbles A very important step when cooking with friends, don't you think? dinner champers And we all enjoyed a dinner under the stars, talking about feminism and a giraffe bus that used to visit Australian primary schools. It was a wonderful setting for such a special evening. Bon appetit! dinner ivy

18 comments:

bespokehome said...

I love old posters. That one in this post is available here:
http://www.art.com/asp/search_do.asp/_/posters.htm?searchstring=villemot&SSK=villemot&WT.oss=villemot&sby=all

Iliska Dreams said...

Love the statue of the kneeling lady at the pond. Was she life size?

http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

Niki said...

Beautiful accomodation Marianne, makes me want to visit Daylesford. Looks like you girls had a great time there.

Mrs Advocat said...

Looks like a great house and I do understand your love for that poster, it is amazing!

Vickie said...

what a gorgeous place & that outdoor dinner table looks wonderful

Jessica Cangiano said...

Such a tremendously lovely, beautifully decorated house and yard. Is that wisteria I see dangling in one of the outdoor photos? (Or something that just resembles wisteria?) We had long tendrils of wisteria adorning the back deck of one of our houses when I was growing up. I adore the smell of it on a warm summer's eve and can just imagine how lovely it must have smelted there, if it was in wisteria.

♥ Jessica

LandGirl1980 said...

What a glorious break!

Constantly Alice said...

These are some really lovely photographs! The colors in the picture of you and the poster are wonderful.

ConstantlyAlice

Esther said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. What beautiful photos! Everything looks absolutely lovely!

Esther said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. What beautiful photos! Everything looks absolutely lovely!

Esther said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. What beautiful photos! Everything looks absolutely lovely!

Wild Tea Party said...

That place looks divine. I want to visit!

And you mean Healthy Harold?! He was the best. I loved it when he visited my school.

Catherine said...

I remember the giraffe bus too! Everyone in primary school would always get excited to buy all the merchandise they had, like little erasers and rulers with the giraffes face on it

Catherine said...

I remember the giraffe bus too! Everyone in primary school would always get excited to buy all the merchandise they had, like little erasers and rulers with the giraffes face on it

Catherine said...

I remember the giraffe bus too! Everyone in primary school would always get excited to buy all the merchandise they had, like little erasers and rulers with the giraffes face on it

esme and the laneway said...

bespokehome said...

oh thanks for the link, that's awesome! I love old posters too and need one for my kitchen :) and these are perfect!

Iliska Dreams : she was! Very pretty x

Niki : thanks, it was ace! Very chuffed to visit :)

Mrs Advocat : I know have house envy – and garden envy! ;p

Vickie: it was really nice to eat at, too!

Jessica Cangiano : oh I love Wisteria too! I think this was something else, as the flowers were a lot smaller and greyer, and hung more like grapes... but then again I know nothing about plants so I can't be sure! Mm, the smell of wisteria is sooo nice

LandGirl1980: it was, and it came at the PERFECT time!!!

Constantly Alice : thanks – the light in there was amazing!

Esther it was really special! x

Wild Tea Party: I'm not sure, everyone laughed at my English primary school's lack of giraffe buses! ;D

Catherine: ARGH NO I MISSED OUT! ;P we had no giraffe buses in England, boooo.

Bethany said...

Beautiful back yard inspiration <3

Vanessa said...

I also remember the Giraffe Bus. It was actually called the Life Education Van, and they'd teach kids about how your body works and looking after yourself. It started off being about healthy eating and exercise, but when I was in year 6, we started getting lectures from the Giraffe about saying 'no' to drugs and all that gaff. All I remember clearly was that they had a model of a man whose organs lit up, and it terrified me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...