Saturday, 30 March 2013

an op shop crawl, a great group of ladies and I find something special

opshopday a Last Saturday (I can't believe it was a week ago!) I hoisted my sick self upright, tipped a double espresso down my throat and headed off for a day I had been looking forward to for ages and absolutely was not going to miss: the Nuffnang Op Shop Crawl. Organised by Erica, it was a morning of op shop (Australian for charity shop) visiting with fellow Melbourne bloggers with a liking for beautiful things from the past, and I knew it would be a good day.

John was an angel and offered to drop me and Trish off at the train station where we were all meeting. But first: more coffee. We talked about how we hardly ever, almost never, in fact, find actual vintage dresses in op shops but were looking forward to looking all the same. opshopday b Trish looked super cute in a vintage red stripe dress. We were now ready for the day ahead. opshopday c At the station we met with absolute darling Cecylia, and then there were too many hellos to familiar faces and introductions to new friends to keep up with the photo taking. opshopday f The first op shop was surprisingly good. Filled with lots of Olde Thingse that were interesting. opshopday d opshopday e Lots of good-looking books. I was strong in that I know my shoulders aren't and I didn't want to be lugging heavy books around all day. opshopday g Leeyong found a great bowl. opshopday h And I liked this big boat on top of the stacks of books. Beneath this was the dress rack, and Leeyong and I went and had a quick browse. I wasn't really looking, knowing that there wasn't going to be anything for me there... opshopday i ... and within two seconds my hand felt good quality material, that kind of had a vibe... I'd found an early 1960's dress. In perfect condition. In my size and to my taste. For $14. Don't thumbs look weird in photos on their own like that? Having just broken the nail down way too low doesn't help. Anyway. More on this great dress soon..! opshopday j The next op shop looked pretty good too. I was quite sure I'd used up all my luck (and all my carrying room in my handbag) so was quite happy to do some casual browsing and chat with my fellow shoppers. opshopday k I thought this looked pretty nice. opshopday l And nearly bought these egg cups, but decided not to after all. I like my eggs poached! opshopday m There was a lot of furniture, some of it very interesting. opshopday n But it was time to cross the road under the grey, stormy sky for op shop number three. opshopday q Chapel Street is busy on a Saturday. opshopday o And the third op shop had a sense of humour – but there were far uglier things, of course! We all thought this really wasn't the worst at all. opshopday p The fish were friendly. opshopday r And then the final stop, op shop number four. I was feeling ready for bed again at this point but did try to take a quick picture of myself. Hello. opshopday s I did much better with a photo of Trish and Erica. opshopday t Cintia found an amazing pink blanket and a huge map. opshopday u opshopday v Vicki was not sure of this kids' jumper but we all thought it was a winner. opshop lunch a Time for lunch. We went to Tyranny of Distance, a colourful place just off Chapel Street, and were treated to round after round of yummy food. The fruit drink was absolutely delicious, too, the kind of thing I always think I'll make in summer but hardly ever get around to doing, with real fruits and fresh mint swimming in bright pink. We all had to take photos, obviously. Ceclyia and Berlin (from Nuffnang) are too cute! opshop lunch b opshop lunch c We were all pretty ready for lunch. Op shopping is thirsty work. Note that the serious faces are from some pretty intense instagramming. Here is a list of all of those there, as I didn't manage to photo everyone: Sharon, Mary, Zoe, Kate, Maria, and Valissa, also from Nuffnang. A great group. opshop lunch d opshop lunch e So many cameras, so much photo taking. opshop lunch g opshop lunch f Trish found this cool set of cards. And we all enjoyed the haloumi. Then Trish and I had to dash off to the city for our afternoon event, but that's for another post! I have so much to share with you. Happy Saturday and Happy Easter – I hope you are enjoying the long weekend! opshop lunch h

22 comments:

reread said...

OMG this looks like way too much fun ... the photos are amaze balls too ... LOVE

AhkaVintage said...

Looks like you had such a lovely day! So nice to op shop and finish up with good food and good friends!
www.ahkavintage.com

Georgia Rose said...

Ah I have a dress by the same label, Jeanne de Campo! It's a 1950s white chiffon dress with embroidered flowers that would be a great wedding dress. I found it in the kids section of a Sydney opshop for $25, so not as cheap as yours but still a bit of a bargain. Great find and your day looks amazing!

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Looks like you all had fun. Im planning on going opshopping soon. Its been a while since last time.

Fiona said...

Looking forward to seeing that dress, I love op shopping!!

BaronessVonVintage said...

Loving the stripes and the vibrant colours!! Your photos are just fantastic. They evoke a multi sensory experience!!!

alittlevintagestory said...

Gosh it all looks like so much fun! Can't wait to see more pic's of your amazing 60's frock find too.

Retro Chick said...

What a great day! Those op shops look amazing, they look better than most Charity Shops!

esme and the laneway said...

reread : it really was. And thanks! :D Hopefully there'll be more crawls.. imagine interstate ones?! Yes!

AhkaVintage : it was the funnest Saturday, I got home on a high :)

Georgia Rose : oh that's so cool! I love hearing about links and stories like that. Great find, nice one! :D

Natalie_vintage_girl: I hadn't been for aaaaaaages and it reminded me of how good it actually can be :)

Fiona : well it's finally cooled down (again, we had yet another heatwave!) so, soon!

BaronessVonVintage : thanks so much! I love photographing things like this :D

alittlevintagestory: thank you! Can't wait to wear it and post it too :) x

Anonymous Retro Chick : to be honest these are unusually good ones :) A lot of our op shops are not so good, lots of pricey high st stuff, so it's nice to find these gems :)

Jo said...

Looks like such a good day! Can't wait to see your dress.
Jo :-)

Becky said...

Ooh, these places all look amazing!

I love the Ugly of the Week!

Becky
xx

Mélodie said...

Looks like you had such a lovely day! Love all the colors, prints and the smiles in your photos!! And gosh the suitcases are gorgeous!!
xoxo
http://sevenlivesandmore.blogspot.fr/

Constance said...

your blog is si nice!!!

http://www.frenchinlosangeles.com/

Linn Mich said...

Hi girl :)
Love your photos.
Have a great day

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a thoroughly awesome looking day! Sometimes a gal just needs to thrift/second hand shop until her eyes are weary and she can hardly stand up any more. It's sort of the vintage shopping equivalent to putting in hard day of manual labour.

Wishing you a joyful Easter weekend,
♥ Jessica

art deco dame said...

Looks like you all found some neat things!I like that bedspread your friend scored.Hope you're feeling better and enjoy your Easter weekend!

Lynn Dylan said...

Marianne! I loved seeing these pictures from the op shops. If only we had that "flavor" to our op shops here! I mean, we have good ones, but I just cannot imagine the feel of the op shops in other countries!

Thanks for sharing! You brightened my day!

xoxo
Lynn

Cookie-Fee said...

oh my, this sounds like such a wonderful day out :) and who knew, what coffee makes us achieve, if we really want to ;) hope you're better soon!
xx Cici

Foxburrow Vintage said...

You gals look like you had a blast!! What's an "op shop"??

Missy Piggy said...

I know jealously is NOT becoming but darn it...I am so jealous of this great blogger outing. It looks like such fun with a bunch of like minded people. Oh, to live in Melbourne - I'd be all over this!

Sleekit said...

What a beautiful post Marianne, you did the day proud!

Look forward to seeing you at the next one

Sleekit x

Jeannie C said...

Ahhh OMGOSHH . The opshopping community of Melbourne seems more alive than Sydney's ! Stunning pictures .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...