Thursday, 21 March 2013

picnics, spas, bunnies and dinners, somewhere just out of this world

1 picnic baskets It's Thursday, we've almost made it to the weekend. I think it is time to get away, so let's look at my stay at The Mansion Hotel and Spa in Werribee, where I spent a glorious 24 hours just a couple of weeks ago, as their guest. You can see our journey here.

When we'd had time to settle in to our room, there was a knock on the door and not one but two picnic hampers were delivered, along with a cooler bag of champagne – a very nice surprise, and we were getting hungry! So we loaded up and headed out into the grounds to find the perfect picnic spot.

2 werribe manson lawn 3 picnic path 4 picnic tree I was a little concerned about this to begin with, as it was so hot and sitting outside in the afternoon sun didn't appeal to us, but we found a huge tree with the perfect shady spot. It was completely comfortable, and cool. 5 picnic blanket John was a gent with the blanket. 6 picnic view 7  werribe manson b And we admired the view – impressive! 8 pop bubbles 9 cheers bubbles 10 slurp bubbles We made a toast – to actually making the time to go away together. So needed and so enjoyable, even more so than we expected. We have similar personalities in that we underestimate how much we enjoy these things, and don't get round to doing them nearly enough. 11 picnic big tree There was enough food to feed a hungry quartet, so we were very spoiled! I then had to enjoy the grounds a little bit more. I just love being surrounded by these huge trees, as you hardly see them in Victoria. Magical fairy trees! 13 picnic leaps I enjoyed them with some gusto. 12 picnic ice But as it was very warm, more rest was then required. 14 picnic rest And after an hour we were ready to head back to our room, because... 15 werribe manson spa robe soft b We had a spa treatment to go to! I know I've said this before, but I can be a bit disinterested in spas and such – again, it's because I underestimate how much I'll enjoy it. John and I were treated to a one hour full body massage. I hadn't had a massage for ages, and never a lush one. Anyway, I didn't take my camera with me for obvious reasons but let me just say: wow. I am a changed woman. I didn't even have to tell my therapist about my dodgy shoulder – she found it, fixed it and left me floating on clouds, with a right arm that I could then actually move properly. I have decided I actually need a massage once a month from now on because of this... bliss. Pure bliss.

We came back to earth slowly with some ginger tea, and then it was dinner time! Well, almost – we just had to go and remind each other what terrible swimmers we are in the pool (John actually laughs at me, which is not the best idea as he swallows even more water by doing this than he does with his own splashy swimming technique and that serves him right!) and then sit in the bubbly spa. You've got to really work up an appetite, you know. dinner josephs a Look at my face – that is the face of a woman with a happy shoulder. bunny Because it was such a beautiful evening, we decided to for a walk in the twilight to look for bunnies. We weren't disappointed – bunnies were out walking too. Walking, hopping and nibbling. dinner josephs b I'd got changed from the dress we drove down in, and wore my 1950's blue and purple floral print with the full skirt. And, look at this... dinner josephs c I couldn't plan that! Matching one's surroundings is something I am taking to new levels, apparently. dinner josephs d The lily pond is beautiful. sunset greenhouse a And so are the quaint little greenhouses, which are open so you can go and have a look. greenhouse a greenhouse b They're beautiful. sunset b With the sun now setting, we decided to head back to Joseph's, the hotel's restaurant. We took the long way back, as everything was so otherworldly in the soft blue light. Things I can't photograph: the deep orange sky on my right, the alive and damp feel of the earth beneath my platform-clad feet, the sounds of the birds that we don't have in Melbourne chirping and stretching and getting ready for the night. sunset And were very well fed and looked after. Again, even better than expected, but as I'd had Afternoon Tea here in the past, my expectations were already pretty high. I like these pleasant surprises! josephs meal b Everything was so beautiful and fresh. josephs meal e josephs meal c And yes, I eat the flowers! It was the perfect, indulgent way to end a luxurious day. We then went for an amble around the historic buildings on the other side, that we hadn't seen yet – this place is huge, and it reminds me so much of England – and finally walked up the staircase with the lead lighting back to our room, very happy little chickens! josephs meal d

18 comments:

Q's Daydream said...

What a dreamy getaway!

Laura said...

everything looks so beautiful and perfect! x

esme and the laneway said...

Q's Daydream : it was, must do it more often!

Laura : so beautiful! x

Naomi said...

Oh my word! Such lush, gorgeous scenery! And your hair is done so beautifully~

The Occasional Indulgence

Kristina said...

That looks and sounds perfect to me! Such a great getaway! And it reminds me that I also need to get a massage very soon! :)
Kristina x

Picturetalk321 said...

What a gorgeous post. Love the photos of: the bunnies, you from the back in the greenhouse, and the matching dress / flowers!

Eloise - jazzlipsandtulips said...

Oh my good lord you look magical in these photos! Such a beautiful place!

xxEloise

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

Gorgeous photos! :) xx

http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

Esther said...

Beautiful photos. I love the ones of the picnic. You look lovely as always!

AhkaVintage said...

What a beautiful perfect getaway!
www.ahkavintage.com

Vanessa said...

Yay for massages! I've started treating myself to a massage each month. It's a little bit spendy, but I really enjoy it, so I think it's worth it.

esme and the laneway said...

Vanessa : I think you're right, they are definitely worth it! I've got to find one closer to home :D

Naomi : Thanks! hehe the hair is courtesy of humidity ;D

Kristina : it was, and I can't recommend massages etc enough – I wonder why we so often feel it's a luxury to look after ourselves? Or at least I know I do that...

Picturetalk321 : thanks! I wish I could have got more bunny action shots, they were so keeyoot x

Eloise - jazzlipsandtulips : it's a magical place!

Rosalinda Tjioe : thank you! x

Esther : it's funny, I usually am a bit indifferent to picnics here (hot, animals, etc) but this one was really enjoyable and special x

AhkaVintage : yep, I'm a lucky lady!

Rona Shainer said...

The floral dress is stunning, and you look so pretty and happy, love it!

Dress To Cook Blog

Aubin Thomas said...

Your whole time there looks so enchanted! And I'm glad to see your summer photos. I'm in Maine and surrounded by snow so seeing blooming flowers and bright sunshine is such a mood lifter!

CoriLynn said...

Beautiful location! And you look stunning as always! Your pictures always make me want to risk the million hr plane ride from California to Australia. I just might do it for bunnies! ;-)
~xoxo CoriLynn

Cecylia said...

Divine!! You captured the beauty and majesty of the Mansion so exquisitely. Every one should stop and have a picnic :)

Vickie said...

looks like an awesome place & a wonderful get-away :)

Anna-Nathalie said...

Wauw looks delicious and cosy! Love your blue dress :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...