Monday, 22 April 2013

1930's savage makeup, two shades of blusher and double bow lips
(and two green friends)

1930's makeup savage advert j Last Monday I tried a makeup look from one of the 1930's cosmetic adverts I'd posted. I did the first one, for Savage lipstick. Savagely lovely! The descriptions they used really are the best! 1930's makeup savage advert b It is a night time look, but because I was going to my mother-in-law's for dinner I didn't want to scare her and went pretty softly. I think that because I have worn very light eye makeup for a few months now – just subtle eyeshadow, mascara and brows, no liner – I went even softer with the eyes. Just like getting used to wearing red lipstick, anything very different can be a shock at first and takes some getting used to. 1930's makeup savage advert d I just brushed my pin curls out to make them fluffy. Disco hair! Basing a look on such a stylised illustration is not easy – and getting that pose was impossible, my camera's lens made my mouth massive when I tried, ha! – but it was really fun. 1930's makeup savage advert k The 1930's makeup ideas often were to match your eye shadow to your eye colour, but I used a shimmery pale gold (photographing these sure ain't easy, either!) all over, and added a touch of pastel green to the centre. I darkened my brows with a brown-red-golden-green shadow as well as my usual dark brown. (In the mid 1930's, wearing coloured mascara and eyebrow colours, such as dark blue or green, was a popular evening look). I used two shades of grey shadow to line my eyes, and topped that off with a pencil liner and black mascara. It was sooooo hard ignoring the habit of bringing the eye shape up, and encouraging large, "sad" eyes instead! The two shades of blusher was actually really fun, but if you've already celebrated, oh, say, your 13th birthday, I recommend using a liquid or cream blusher and not a powder. I also highlighted my cheekbones with that pale shimmery gold shadow, just like in the advert. 1930's makeup savage advert f Doing a bow on my lower lip was hard, as I have a scar along the middle of that edge which distorts the line. I think I could do an extreme version, though, another time! 1930's makeup savage advert e I really loved this, especially the eyeshadows. It's not a look to wear if you're just going down the shops, but it is fun. I will definitely do more of these! What do you think? Do you like it? Finally, because posing seriously is just too silly, say hi to Mr Kitty Cat and his friend, Owl. 1930's makeup a

34 comments:

Fox Parse said...

I LOVE the high blush, right under the eye look! It's so close to the pictures of the ads you posted, and just so...doll-like.

Makes me want to wear it as a day to day look :P Gigantic eyelashes and baby-doll cheeks.

You did an excellent recreation of such a stylised look. So clever!

Fox Parse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sage said...

Marianne, this is amazing! You are so clever to figure this out. Definitely makes me want to experiment with some neglected blush and eyeshadow shades!

Jamie Rose said...

I love this! The colors are gorgeous!

MarieBayArea said...

Very pretty colors

Ms. Dee said...

This is goooorgeous, oh my gosh! You look like a magical pastel princess starlet. Perfection.

Jessica Cangiano said...

How tremendously beautiful - your recreation of that classic, chic ad's look turned out breath-takingly well.

♥ Jessica

Mrs Advocat said...

Beautiful! I love the high blush, you look like a doll! so gorgeous, and it is very 30s

Carolyn said...

Your hair looks absolutely lovely at the moment! If only I could steal it for my own head of hair! :) Bella!

Elyce Sandri said...

this looks so awesome! you did a wonderful job :)

Märta said...

Gorgeous, wow, the makeup is amazing!

Helen Le Caplain said...

You look fab - I love the bow lips and the soft blush - will definitely give this a go.

www.mancunianvintage.com

Anna-Nathalie said...

Fiin :D

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

That looks so lovely with your pastel hair. cute toys :) I have a frog plush toy about that colour and it has a bow tie.

xStroutx said...

This is SO beautiful! I actually really like the double blush

Incendiary Blonde said...

This is so adorable! You look like a little doll! :)

elke said...

you look just like the ad... amazing make up job :-) you managed to keep it wearable... I think it has something to do with your features (and your skills :-))

Aloysia Adinda Nareswari said...

you are so gorgeous!

http://dindaloysia.blogspot.com

Sammi said...

Your curls are simply gorgeous here, and you look like a little china doll!!

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Becky said...

So pretty! I love the blush under the eye!

Becky
xx

Sarah said...

Beautiful! I definitely need to experiment with eye shadow more x

Nancy Wilde said...

WOW! This is beyond lovely!

Kat said...

I love it!! Makes me keen to try it and I don't usually wear makeup :)

Ava G said...

Wow! You nailed it! Gorgeous!

AhkaVintage said...

Agreed! Totally nailed the look! Looks very much like the inspiration picture!
www.ahkavintage.com

esme and the laneway said...

‪Fox Parse‬ : thanks so much! :D If you do it for day to day, share it? :D


‪Sage‬ : it was so fun, do it! :D



‪Jamie Rose‬ : thank you! x



‪MarieBayArea‬ : thanks! I felt like it matched the mint walls and lavender and blue tulle prom dress x



‪Ms. Dee‬ : thank you! x



‪Jessica Cangiano‬ : thanks so much! x



‪Mrs Advocat‬ : it's funny, if someone described that blush I'd be really doubtful but I loved how it looked on! x



‪Carolyn‬ : thanks <3


‪Elyce Sandri‬ : thank you x
April 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM



‪Märta‬ : <3


‪Helen Le Caplain‬ : yay! Share photos?


‪Anna-Nathalie‬ : thank you x



‪Natalie_vintage_girl‬ : oh frog sounds so cuuuuute :)



‪xStroutx‬ : thanks! Me too, weird but it works! x



‪Incendiary Blonde‬ : thanks! It was fun to wear :)


‪elke‬ : thanks :) I think I do suit the big sad eyes thing, will be fun to switch between them and the 1950's upwards cat flick :)



‪Aloysia Adinda Nareswari‬ : <3



‪Sammi‬ : :D



‪Becky‬ : same! Thanks!



‪Sarah‬ : it's fun, me too, I never do it enough! x



‪Nancy Wilde‬ : thank you x


‪Kat‬ : oh, give it a go, it's really fun :) and it was easy too!


‪Ava G‬ : thanks! :D



‪AhkaVintage‬ : thanks! I'm so pleased, it was tricky to follow such a stylised drawing! :D

trishhunterfinds said...

Wow I absolutely love love love this!! What an amazing re-creation! xx

Epic Thread said...

This is absolutely stunning.

Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

WendyBee said...

Gosh! You are soooo beautiful and talented! I know that the last time I commented, I was lukewarm on the lilac hair, but it is perfect---PeRfEcT with this makeup look, which is stunning. Sorry for gushing, but really......

Mabel said...

You look stunning! That makeup and hair are incredible!

Mabel
Mabel Cooks

Jayne said...

I just love your look, so perfect for the 30's. I wish I could have convince the make up team to do this type of styling when I designed 42nd St last year.
Also adore your hair colour.
I came your way from Candice DeVille's tweet

Emma Cherry said...

Love it Marianne, it's an amazing look - I love the 30's style and you pull it off so well :) Stunning! x

Gracie said...

This is absolutely divine, you look amazing! I love the blush, I'm going to try it before a night I think.

tors grantham said...

Oh WOW! I love this look! I may have to give old 30's make-up styles a go the next time I have a night out on the town, they look perfect for an overdressed cocktail night. Stunning look on you, you really pull it off fabulously

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...