Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Style me Spiegel – a vintage fashion parade, tales of pomade, songs of heartbreak and the jauntiest little dog

style me vintage spiegel b Hello! I hope you had a good Easter. I am going to continue with my amazing Saturday with what happened after the Op Shop Crawl. Trish and I said our goodbyes at lunch and headed into the city to see Style Me Spiegel, a show I had been invited to by Arts Centre Melbourne and I knew Trish would be the perfect date.

So, without a much needed third (!) coffee, conscious of my dry lips and ignoring my lower eyelids as they tried to snuggle with my eyebrows, we went to the train station and got there just in time to see our train leaving. After a long wait, a strange train ride (don't ask) and then a bit of a rush – of course it takes 45 minutes to travel a couple of km in Melbourne on public transport, how could we forget – we were in the beautiful old Spiegeltent, just in time for the first song by Mikelangelo. I love the Spiegeltent, with its wood and mirrors and stripy panels; part saloon, part circus. Built in the 1920's, it still travels the world (not on Melbourne's public transport, obviously, luckily) and is a home for amazing performances. style me vintage spiegel d style me vintage spiegel c style me vintage spiegel h style me vintage spiegel g Then we were treated to beautiful vintage fashion parades! The models were so wonderful, dancing and twirling down the catwalk. Here are just some of the amazing vintage dresses, snapped between the heads and shoulders of a packed audience. Can you imagine the oohs and ahs? There was also a panel on male grooming, hosted by the charming Mikelangelo, with tips from his charismatic dad! I'd never really heard men chat about their hair before. Apparently you need a very firm hold pomade in Melbourne! style me vintage spiegel i And look at this little star! style me vintage spiegel e The finale. What a voice! Songs of melodramatic heartbreak are my cup of tea. Give me pathos any day! And then it was over – all too soon! It's a shame the show was a one off, as it was really fun. Thank you, Arts Centre! It was the nicest way to end a great Saturday afternoon. style me vintage spiegel f style me vintage spiegel j

9 comments:

AhkaVintage said...

That looks like so much fun!
www.ahkavintage.com

BaronessVonVintage said...

WOW, looks like a stunning show. What a venue!

Miss Emmi said...

Mikelangelo's voice is AMAZING, I've been lucky to see him perform before and am always floored by the depth and character of it.

esme and the laneway said...

AhkaVintage : it was, and uplifting, too x

BaronessVonVintage : it's pretty special, I should go more often really.

Miss Emmi : isn't it just!

Gen said...

Ahh, I was in the Speigeltent 3 times in the past month!

Helen Le Caplain said...

Wow what an amazing array of outfits (and a gorgeous pooch!)

Looks like you had a great time :)

www.mancunianvintage.com

esme and the laneway said...

Gen : nice! I am TERRIBLE at going to see things like this (get excited, leave booking till later, oh no! I've missed it) so this encourages me to do more :)

Helen Le Caplain : they really were! And the pooch was so darling :D

Jessica Cangiano said...

It's so fantastically awesome that there are events like this in Australia. I sure wish Canada would get with the program and follow suit! :) For the time being (as I don't see that happening anytime soon), I'll live my dream of attending such events vicariously through your wonderful posts.

♥ Jessica

esme and the laneway said...

Jessica Cangiano : well this was a one off, we could do with some more too! :D Hopefully you do get some soon – vintage fashion parades are surprisingly popular (at least, surprising to me) here so maybe they would be there too?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...