Tuesday, 28 May 2013

autumn and winter inspiration -- oh, just think what we will wear!

vintage-in-the-rain It is finally feeling like Autumn here in Melbourne and I couldn't be happier. It's beautifully cool without having the harsh edge of winter – that'll be with us in the next week or so, at least technically. I am so, so happy to finally be able to wear cold-weather things. I'm even looking forward to rain! Here are some of my favourite winter inspiring images from my pinterest. And yep, this beautiful vintage Vogue cover is for Spring, but that works fine for me and my upside down winter in Australia!

1940s-jumpers-sweaters I love 1940's jumpers (sweaters) with their slim fit and puffed shoulders. I love the pattern on this green one (I've a Norwegian cardigan I look forward to wearing when it is really cold) and Rita is looking pretty good there on the right, with her matching bow! vintage-colour-combinations I love all the colour combinations we can do now, with all the extra accessories of winter. I've got a few late 1950's and early 1960's fitted wool dresses, including a black one. I love how this one is brightened with the pastel pink, yellow and blue touches! Black and pale pink is an all time favourite colour combo of mine. colour-combinations-shoes And I love this peach and dark red, and the blue-grey with the yellow shoes. Ah, and closed toe shoes! I am so ready for those. My new mantra when buying shoes at the moment is "closed toe closed toe ". I bought some new shoes last week and, um, they were NOT closed toe, but they are for a special occasion and more on that very soon! stockings I am looking forward to stockings again. I need to stock up – pardon the pun, that was not intended – for a change! – on my nylons, but I've put last year's somewhere and need to find them first! vintage-makeup I am LOVING that the reasonable, fit-for-humans weather means I can wear powder with my makeup. I recently got a great new powder – I'll have to share that too, soon! I love this big bow hat. And hats are yet another thing I can now wear! vintage-in-the-snow I am even looking forward to it being really, really cold. We won't get snow in Melbourne but we do get plenty of it in the mountains an hour or so away, and this year I am going to play in it. I don't mind being cold when I'm outside as long as there is a warm indoors to look forward to afterwards. If there's an open fireplace, hot chocolate and maybe a bit of whiskey I'll be a very happy lady! Mmm, black and pastel blue again here, it seems to be a thing for me at the moment! Will definitely wear these colours together soon. I love that big black snuggly coat, and the hat. I love the 1940s for winter!

How amazing is this orange hat, too? I love the jewelery mixed with the gloves. And those coats on the right are perfect. Rugging up in a beautiful coat, pulling on a hat and going for a walk in a tree filled park, crunching over their discarded leaves ("soooo last season, dahling...") and breathing out little frosty clouds... I can't wait for winter! vintage-hat-coat-winter

14 comments:

alice said...

You had me at Norwegian cardigan, consider me inspired.

margaretvspauline said...

Rita is looking cuuuute here. I need some lovely fitted wool jumpers for winter. I've been looking for closed toe shoes too, it's almost as if the perfect ones don't exist! If you find any, let us know! x

Eloise - jazzlipsandtulips said...

What a perfect post! Here in Auckland we have had the bitter edge of winter from the get go! But the arrival of winter equals fires, which i am not complaining about!
x Eloise - Jazzlipsandtulips

MarieBayArea said...

These images make me dizzy with joy. You and Rita Hayworth could be sisters.

Helen Le Caplain said...

We're supposed to be enjoying summer here in the UK, but I think we could use some of these wintery vintage goodies!

www.mancunianvintage.com

Debs said...

You make me want to go to my favourite vintage online shop and just buy up big on Winter goodies. :)

Jessica Cangiano said...

Splendidly lovely chilly weather wardrobe inspiration. Autumn is typically so short lived here in Canada. In a matter of weeks we go from sweltering summer temps to tall snowbanks once more, which means one has to try and enjoy dressing for those glorious in between (season) days to the max, before outfits get buried under thick overcoats, scarves and snow boots once more.

Wishing you a gorgeous autumn filled with the loveliest of stockings and other fab fashion finds!

♥ Jessica

tunabake said...

Great inspiration! You never know it might snow in Melbourne this year, it did in 2005, it didn't settle for very long but those little flakes were enough to get me very excited. We're planning on a long weekend to the snow this year - sledges here we come!!!

Constantly Alice said...

I'm sooooo envious. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and we're just heading into summer here (blech.)

Teresa said...

"Upside down winter" love it! I think I need to use this phrase more often. :D

Such a great collection of autumn/winter inspiration. I can't believe it's almost winter already.

Sarah said...

This is a beautiful post!! Anybody that complains about the Melbourne winter is mad - it's such a fabulous time of year!

CoriLynn said...

Love love love these perfect images!! We are on opposite ends of seasons, so I love to see what you are wearing for autumn/winter. It helps me shop ahead!! Hehe!!
~xoxo, CoriLynn

Andi B. Goode said...

Great winter inspiration! I love pink and black, too :D I'm looking forward to rugging up for winter, too.

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I'm all inspired since watching gatsby. I'm thinking a twenties winter is in order! though the pics you shared are all very lovely and i think we shall have some of that too

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...