Tuesday, 21 May 2013

how to: rag curl long hair for vintage styles

vintage-rag-curl-tutorial a Here it is: rag curling for long hair. How to curl long, fine straight hair. It's super simple, and all you need are around 10 strips of fabric (the rags), and, well, that's it! Trish has beautiful silky long hair, and it's also straight and very shiny – the kind that seems the hardest to curl. It can also be hard to pin curl long hair, as even if you can get it into a curl (a snail! Thanks B. MacDonald!) it will be quite big, and not exactly comfy to sleep on. And we don't want that!

So, one sunny late afternoon, I popped round to Trish's gorgeous house and we did rag curls – with excellent assistance from Betty-dog, as you'll soon see! vintage-rag-curl-tutorial k As Trish had washed her hair earlier and it was already completely dry, we brushed it and then sprayed it with a little water, so it was damp. Not too damp, though, you want it to dry overnight! I find it curls much better with a little watery help, but to keep this simple and something anyone could do without having to get anything form the shops for it, we didn't use any setting lotions and so on. Just water. And it looked very dramatic, catching the light! vintage-rag-curl-tutorial l Then, starting at the tip, start to wrap a smallish section (about the thickness of a big texta/permanent marker) around a rag. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial m Roll it up towards the head, and then tie the rag in a double not. Don't go too close to the head, or it will be uncomfortable to sleep on and the curls will start too high. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial n Betty showed us her couch-matching skills as we went. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial o And then got a bit bored. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial p But seemed interested in the final result. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial q The hair all curled up. The ones at the side are a bit shorter, as in curled closer to the head, than the ones at the back, to make a nice curved shape. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial w The next morning, they were still all in place. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial x We gave them a quick blast with the hair dryer (on hot) to make sure they were toasty and dry. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial v And then waited for them to cool. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial y And then started to take them out. Betty was quite used to this by now. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial u Cute little spirals! vintage-rag-curl-tutorial t Boing! vintage-rag-curl-tutorial s Finally, we carefully brushed them out. vintage-rag-curl-tutorial r We used a little bit of smoothing product followed by some hairspray, and voila! A cascade of curls ready to be styled. Easy!

Would you try this? Let me know how it goes if you do! vintage-rag-curl-tutorial z

30 comments:

Lucy In The Sky said...

A great tutorial Marianne! Thank you for sharing! I have tried doing my hair in rags before, and though it did manage to curl my hair, it turned it into what looked like a perm and I couldn't understand what had gone wrong. After reading this post I now understand - I had tied the rags way too close to my head! No wonder it was so uncomfortable to sleep on! So this was really helpful for me. I can't wait to try it again!

http://thecarnabetianarmy.blogspot.com.au/

Trish Hunter said...

It was so much fun and oh so easy! I couldn't believe it.
Hehe I love the photos of Betty! xx

Lara Tura said...

My mum taught me how to do these as a kid! She used to do it to her hair in the day!
www.ahkavintage.com
Join our $150 dress giveaway!

Veronica said...

Her hair looks amazing, yours is impeccable in every post, and I love the clothes. I am going to try this out. My hair is very wavy and medium thickness, but the curls I do with a curling iron friz out! I struggle with pin curls also.

Miss Fairchild said...

Gorgeous! I have shorter hair so sleeping on rag curls is too uncomfortable. This is just beautiful thought.

MarieBayArea said...

Eeeps! Trish had the most shiny, pretty, dark hair. You did a beautiful job with creating fabulous curls for her. So good...

Nadia M said...

I have quite long hair and have grown increasingly frustrated with it not holding a curl for long. I will definitely have to try this technique with rags! You make it look so simple and effortless. If only you could do my hair everyday haha I'm fawning over both yours and Trish's hair, so silky and beautiful! xx

Hannah said...

I love the effect rag curling gives, and Trish's hair looks adorable! xx

Saperlotte said...

I love your colorful pictures! Looking forward to try this out, since pin curls don't work for me. :-)

Lovely greetings from Austria to Australia!
Saperlotte

Spoonful of Vintage said...

I have long, fine, straight hair and it is IMPOSSIBLE! to curl! I've been looking for a way to get it to keep a curl, no heat and comfy to sleep in...it looks like I've found the solution! Thank you :)
xoxo Amie @ Spoonful of Vintage

Kati said...

These curls are simply perfect and definitely something I need to try out one day!

Have a great week,
-Kati

Sleekit said...

My mum used to do this with my hair every Sat night, must try it again, so simple, yet so elegant

Sleekit x

Emma Cherry said...

Brilliant tutorial Marianne, thanks for sharing your tips -
I've never had much luck with ragging, I think I tied them too high......may have to try it again :)
Love
Emma ( Dear Thirty ) xx

wingsforliberty.com said...

What a beautiful hairstyle, the tutorial is also clear and straightforward, accompanied by wonderful photos, so thank you :)
I'm going to try this, but my hair is really frizzy so I'm not sure I'll be able to get the same classy result...

Lots of love,
Trish
http://wingsforliberty.com/ (9 days left to join my giveaway!)

Miss Maple said...

These curls look so pretty. Must try that some day too. It looks really easy so I'm eager to what will come out.

Jessica Cangiano said...

It turned out so wonderfully pretty! Great work, ladies!

My paternal grandma used to rag curl my hair often when I was a little girl (she - lover of all things Victorian - adored the look of a good sausage curl, and I certainly did too, so I was pleased as punch when she rag curled my hair), and I'm so glad that she did because it was the first technique I reached for to curl my hair as I got older and started wearing vintage styles all the time.

♥ Jessica

Helen Le Caplain said...

Oh that looks so pretty!

www.mancunianvintage.com

Psycho Cat said...

I used to do this all the time when I had a longer hair, it's great :)

Rachael Victoria said...

Lovely post and great pictures as usual! What a great finish, it looks perfect and glossy! Thank you for sharing!

rachael-victoria.blogspot.co.uk

xx

ConstantlyAlice said...

Yay! My daughter has long, really thick hair. This would work beautifully on her. Thanks for sharing :)

Circus Girl (Zoë) said...

I love rag curls! It's my favourite way to get a curl! I don't like too much heat on my hair so it's perfect! Trish loos so cute and her hair so shiny! :) Have a lovely week kitten! Zoë xxx

Teresa said...

Fantastic tutorial ladies and the end result looks fabulous. I think I kinda like how cute Trish looked with the rags tied in her hair too! :)

Supervisor Betty is adorable.

thescreensiren.com said...

Thank you for sharing! My grandmother used to rag curl my hair when I was little! I always loved when she did it!
xx
http://thescreensiren.com

margaretvspauline said...

Thank you for sharing this! I will definitely be giving this a shot! As you know my hair is rather long and I've tried pin curls and wondered what I was doing wrong because they were very uncomfortable to sleep on! The only way I've been able to curl my hair was with hot rollers, but who really has that much time in the morning?

Maria @CrashingRed said...

Love YOUR hair Esme! Wish my hair would look as glamorous as yours, Though, I'm considering going blond soon and maybe then I'll try this tut.

Thanks for sharing lovely!
xx

tunabake said...

Such a cute tutorial from the 2 of you - I hope you have more planned together :)

elke said...

I curl my little girl's (3yr) like this, since last spring... she has long, blonde, straigt(ish) and shiny hair :-) She calls the rags her curls :-)
It also works good with my hair. But I turn the curls in an updo mostly... No more thinking about the weather... :-)

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

It looks beautiful. what a lovely tutorial. and a cute dog :)

Cakelaw said...

The curls look great - I have always wondered how to do rag curls. I adore Betty - I met her at the vintage fair a couple of weeks ago (in fact, Betty insisted on intoducing herself to me!).

Vanessa said...

I've actually never tried rag curls. When I want to curl my hair, wet-set pin curls seem to be the only thing that works because my hair is so long and heavy. But as you say, it's not very comfy to sleep on. Perhaps I should give this method a whirl?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...