Friday, 3 May 2013

islands, victorian grottos, and roses as far as the eye can see

morning window Happy Friday! What have you got on this weekend? I am working tomorrow (something exciting, I'll post about it!) and then hope to catch up with some friends I haven't seen for far too long. It's horribly easy to let weeks go by and suddenly realise you haven't seen people that really matter to you even once. I am going to make this winter a time to make sure I see my loved ones!

Something else that has seen to much time pass since is my trip to The Mansion Hotel and Spa in Weribee, where we were chuffed to be guests. It was such a beautiful getaway and I cannot believe it's been so long since my first installment! How did that even happen?! I look at the photos and remember just how hot it was, and now because it's actually pretty cold today it feels even nicer. And Friday's are just possibly the perfect time for a bit of a break! breakfast e morning hair b morning hair a The view from our room was so nice, all lush green and old buildings. I had a good look out the (sash! I never see those here ad I miss them!) window and got a good idea of the weather. It was really warm already, and very humid – which explains the lushness, and also my hair! Look at that! You can't fight that kind of heat so I went with it instead. Hair was big and hair went up! And I'd forgotten my mascara..! Probably not such a bad thing on these kind of steamy days! breakfast b Speaking of views, the view from our breakfast table was pretty special. There was a buffet style breakfast and I always feel like I'm going to take too much and end up being really cautious – silly, right?! – but I did enjoy a croissant as well as my muesli and loads of fresh fruit. breakfast a breakfast d And a coffee. Of course. Always a coffee. green lush b We popped our bags in the car and so we didn't have to rush later. I love the impressive path up to the building. green lush c It was so beautiful and dewy. green house We walked across the immaculate lawn – before I forget, I must share something: there is no such thing as "please keep off the grass" in Australia. We are encouraged to stroll on the lawns. It's still novel but much appreciated! green lush d Especially when you can see how much care goes into them. walk flowers a I had a good layer of sunscreen (obviously) and my parasol. walk flowers b We were on our way to the famous Rose Garden – and decided this path looked like a good one! walk path a john in handsome There are so many different trees, and it reminds me a lot of home. John is a gentleman and insisted on carrying my bag. What a trooper. monkey tails b monkey tails hi behind leafies It was wonderful, like another world! walk path b leafy spider John told me a spider lives in here. He knows about these things, nature and such. pine cone And he takes great pictures of nature too, like this one. He should totally start his own blog! moss It was so nice to see things growing so abundantly at the end of a scorching summer. leaf tree roof Then, finally, we walked quietly under a roof of softly glowing green leaves. walk to rose garden path You can actually see the steam in the air. Just looking at this I can feel the heat! rose garden at werribee mansion hotel and spa We'd found the Rose Garden! in the rose garden It was absolutely beautiful. Roses of every colour you can think of, on paths leading off from a central point in every direction. Layers and layers of them! werribe mansion rose garden I couldn't decide if the lilac, the pale yellow, or the hot coral were my favourites. walk back lily pond a Then we headed back to the hotel, preparing to go home. I was so excited to see the pond. The lilies, closed in the evening when I'd seen them last, were now shyly stretching their petals upwards and turning their faces to the warm sun. So lovely! I was enjoying the warmth too, and that feeling you get from being relaxed and happy. You know, that feeling that you're beautiful even though you forgot your mascara and your hair is going nuts, because you are having a wonderful time with someone you love and it's that kind of special beautiful. lily pond b flower bed view lead lighting stained glass Back at the hotel, we used the free wifi in reception (my phone is on a really limited plan, boo) and I got a snap of the lead lighting – known as stained glass, where I come from. I love that they have kept all the amazing historic details. We were then told of the grotto, and that it was really worth a visit. I wasn't so keen, as my feet were sore and I knew we had to get on the road soon, but we couldn't NOT go to a Victorian grotto! werribee grotto a I took my shoes off for the walk on the bouncy grass. I said I would! And I did and I loved it. werribee grotto j After a few minutes this came into view..! The grotto was on its own island! werribee grotto b werribee grotto e werribee grotto i So we headed over the little wooden bridge and up the winding path to the top, looking at all the exotic plants. And, yes, it's ok, I put my shoes back on at this point! werribee grotto c werribee grotto h john is handsome werribee grotto f And got to the grotto door. Sadly it's not open to visitors, but you can see in. Imagine a get together in here? werribee grotto g Otherworldly.

Finally we headed back across that lush lawn, and said goodbye to the Mansion. We'll have to go again soon! mansion view

20 comments:

Elaine Valerie, said...

What a beautiful, wonderful garden!!!!!
Very nice pictures :)

Alice said...

Oh it all looks so fresh and green! I know what you mean about heat being oppressive in the Australian summer, how do you manage to keep your face in place?? Gorgeous xx

Sleekit said...

One of my favourite places to visit, had no idea there was a grotto there! Looks like you both had a magical getaway.

Sleekit x

Lorrain said...

Lovely, beautiful pictures, really a delight to the eye, such a pleasure to behold.

Just Dont Tell Anyone said...

wow! beautiful photos! :) and you look gorgeous, as always! :)
x

missfairchildscharmschool said...

Despite living in Point Cook and visiting the zoo a few times I have never actually gone to the Mansion. I really need to visit one day soon...it's so beautiful!

MarieBayArea said...

This place is out of this world! These photos are the best. And you're gorgeous even with undone hair and no mascara. You certainly don't look like you need it. It was very cool to read how beautiful you felt too, because you were with your mister and having fun. It doesn't get better than that.

beate grigutsch said...

beautiful park! cant believe it´s in australia ;-)
and two beautiful, happy people in there...
thanks for sharing!

Vickie said...

gorgeous photos - especially love the spider-web, pine-cone & branch ones :)

Vanessa said...

Oh my gosh, those shells are just so beautiful!

Jurgita K. said...

Fabulous photos :)
please check out my blog :)
metinearbata.blogspot.com

Rebecca Jane said...

That garden is so incredibly lovely! Gorgeous photographs!

wingsforliberty.com said...

What a stunningly beautiful place! Perfect to escape the agitated mundane life :) Looks like you had lots of fun.

Lots of love,
Trish
http://wingsforliberty.com/

Jessica Cangiano said...

What an enchanting, regal, picturesquely beautiful setting. You truly visit the most breathtaking locations imaginable (and look utterly gorgeous in all of them).

♥ Jessica

Rochelle New said...

WOW! Absolutely gorgeous photos! I love those spirally plants and your lipstick color especially :)

Elizabeth Mayberry said...

i love all these pics! you are stunning!

Lucy In The Sky said...

What a beautiful place to stay! The garden is like a dream! It is a shame that you didn't get to go in the grotto, but at least you got to have a peek inside. And yes, isn't it fantastic that Australia has no signs ordering you to stay clear of the grass? It lets you appreciate the beauty of the place on a whole different and better level.

tors grantham said...

Such beautiful photos, it looks like an amazing place! Wandering around with no shoes on is probably the biggest thing I miss from living in NZ and Australia, can't really do it in Wales ;)

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

It looks so heavenly!

Margarita Bloom said...

What an absolutely beautiful place! All the flowers and nature are just so pretty and inviting...wish I was there today. That grotto looked amazing. Funny enough I was talking about parasols yesterday up on my facebook and their history. I need to get one. lol...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...