Monday, 20 May 2013

two vintage 1950's dresses, two australian birds and an autumn afternoon

melbourne-autumn a I have finally been able to make a start on doing some vintage hair tutorials! First up will be a rag curling tutorial – how to rag curl long hair for vintage styles. I did this with Trish, through whom I am living out my dark hair dreams (I've been missing my dark hair lately, but there's no going back for me!) and who has long straight hair. The challenge was there to curl it, and curl it we did. I'll post it tomorrow!

Afterwards it was such a beautiful Melbourne Autumn day that we just had to get outside in the glowing sunshine. After some sweet chai with extra honey, we bought some balloons for Truly Vintage, and then checked out some op shops in the foot of the mountains that seem so far away and yet take just minutes to get to in the car. It was so nice to see the trees turning orange and red and rusty against deep blue skies. rosella-and-gala We saw some rozellas enjoying a meal with some galas! I now see that we were mirroring their colours..! They let me get pretty close before deciding it was time to fly up in a tree for a bit. They're in there somewhere! australian trees vintage-embroidered-dress b We both were wearing 1950's dresses with full skirts. Mine a pale yellow with embroidery along the hem in blues and greens... vintage-print-dress b ... and Trish's in reds and oranges... vintage-print-dress a ... with an amazing vintage print! cute little bow chair bow print vintage-print-dress d There was a cute little chair outside a house covered in 1940's style bow print fabric, so of course we had to check it out and then take it in turns to sit on it. vintage-embroidered-dress c vintage-embroidered-dress a But we were soon back in the sunshine looking at dream weatherboard houses with pale blue woodwork and perfect picket fences. Such a perfect afternoon. Again, again, please! pretty-house-in-melbourne a

15 comments:

Chloe said...

Great outfit! & I love the picture of the two birds, so beautiful and cute!!!

MarieBayArea said...

Oh you pretty girls in your lovely dresses. What a beautiful neighborhood too. The houses are so charming.

Lara Tura said...

Awwww a Gala! I love those birds! So Aussie!
www.ahkavintage.com
Join our $150 dress giveaway!

esme and the laneway said...

Chloe: thanks! Yes aren't the birds so cute?! Even after all these years I am still impressed by Australia's local wildlife :) so colourful and exotic!

MarieBayArea : it really is, I think I'd like to live there soon!

Lara Tura: love them too! But, are they spelt galah? I saw it after I posted and haven't checked... whatever, the purdy rosey red birds! :D

Elyce Sandri said...

That nice sun looks lovely, would love some of that on this grey day! Loving the dresses as well :)

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Cute chair:-) i would have wanted to take it home !

Emma Cherry said...

I used to have wallpaper like that chair on my bedroom wall!! (as a girl of course) - still hoping for a glimmer of sunshine here, no such luck :(

Emma from Dear Thirty xx

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a gorgeous little fabric chair to come across right out in the open like that - I'd be snapping pics a plenty if that happened to me, too.

How exciting that new hair tutorials are in the works - can't wait to see them!

♥ Jessica

Anna Williams said...

I love, love your outfits and what pretty neighbourhood too. So glad to have your lovely blog xx

Anna (My Design Ethos)

Erin Fleming said...

I just discovered your blog & anxiously await each new one! I love your wardrobe.

Erin Fleming said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
esme and the laneway said...

Elyce Sandri : it was, but we've finally got proper cold weather now :)

Natalie_vintage_girl : haha I think woever put it there would have been chuffed with that!

Emma Cherry : sweet! Well the sun left us (at last) so hopefully you get some soon!

Jessica Cangiano : the rag curling one has finally gone live! :)

Miss Maple said...

You're both looking very beautiful in that lovely dresses. It must have been a really wonderful day for you.

trishhunterfinds said...

Ooh I only just spotted this!
Such a perfect autumn day. Dare I say it actually got a little hot? I don't want to jinx it for the future so I'll just shhh.
Lovely day.

Melodie said...

I just felt in love with both this dresses, so beautiful and cheerful!
Love you style girls, very pretty! ;-)
xoxo
Melodie
http://sevenlivesandmore.blogspot.fr/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...