Friday, 19 July 2013

bursts of colour in the middle of winter

vintage-scarf e In this last week I have made some wonderful colourful vintage additions to my wardrobe. Not dresses – vintage scarves. Vintage scarves are one of those things that I always think will be easy to find without really looking, or even something that I already have, and I do have some. But when it comes to it, they can be that little bit more elusive. I'd realise I didn't have the right shade of blue, or a red one, or the perfect combinations of golden browns. So I was chuffed when I picked up four at a big sale at a Melbourne vintage shop. I hadn't rummaged in a box at a vintage shop for the longest time and it was a nice reminder of how it really can be fun. And then I found a fifth one at an op shop. It was just there in the window, and for $2.50 it was mine. I am especially enjoying wearing scarves in my hair at the moment. Melbourne has been crazy windy lately! vintage-scarf a Lots of colours, and lots of flowers, of course. vintage-scarf b A novelty print. This one is an office theme, and has a telephone, an ink pot, and a desk lamp. vintage-scarf d And this one is a tourist souvenir! I love the pink and blue. The red floral one is the op shop find – and I think red looks great on red heads! vintage-scarf c

11 comments:

MarieBayArea said...

Pretties!

Catherine said...

We were in Melbourne last year and went into the Chapel Street Bazaar and there was a stall which from what I can remember sold just scarves and sewing notions. I hope the owner of that stall was happy with my mini shopping spree! Scarves are best thing to buy on holidays. Small and light!

Amber said...

I love the pink one and the blue! The red is also really nice. I'm looking at moving to the Melbourne area at the end of the year and your posts make me pretty excited about the shopping prospects! :)

alittlevintagestory said...

Lovely prints and colours. I can always think I have more scarves than I actually do, and keep forgetting to build up my collection.

Ester Durães said...

that map scarf seems so beautiful, love it!
-
Ester from Drawing Dreaming

Jessica Cangiano said...

So very true - I've felt the same way about vintage scarves many a time, too (especially when it comes to larger sized ones that work well for use in 40s style hairdos).

Storing scarves can be tricky at times, depending the amount of space you have, so I store mine in divided fabric storage boxes (the kind that were designed to house bras, socks, etc). A couple stacked on top of each other take up next to no space on the floor of my (super small) closet and make seeing all the scarves I have at a glance a total snap.

♥ Jessica

TheGirlinOslo said...

I am really loving color these days :)

Teresa said...

Beautiful, I love the colours. Especially the red floral one.

Johanna said...

This is crazy; I have the exact same scarf - the orange/red with flowers on the bottom picture!

Love from Norway

esme and the laneway said...

Johanna : NO WAI! :D That's amazing! Scarf twins! x

Teresa : thanks – yes, I'm glad I picked that one up, almost didn't! x

esme and the laneway said...

Jessica Cangiano : that's a brilliant idea, my storage of scarves is far less organised and often overseen by Babycat!

Ester Durães : thanks!

alittlevintagestory : isn't it funny how it happens! :) Glad I'm not the only one!

Amber : Melbourne does have some good shopping, although you do have to dig a bit, I think! :)

Catherine : nice! And so true – easy to pack is always good :)

MarieBayArea : <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...